• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR IET new carpets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chriso

The last few times I have travelled on GWR IET I have noticed the carpet full of stains which looked pretty poor.

however today I travelled on 800001 on the 19:02 Oxford to Reading and it looked like it had new carpet fitted in a dark grey much darker than previously. Is this a fleet upgrade or just a trial?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

VP185

Fleet upgrade. Rather than clean the carpets they are just being replaced by darker carpet to hide the filth.

dk1

Veteran Member
Fleet upgrade. Rather than clean the carpets they are just being replaced by darker carpet to hide the filth.
That makes sense. Some ridiculous plain carpets used over the years that show stains too quickly. They need to be ‘busy’.

fgwrich

Established Member
That makes sense. Some ridiculous plain carpets used over the years that show stains too quickly. They need to be ‘busy’.
It is one reason why I liked the FGW interiors. Darker carpets, and Dark Moquette hid the daily dirt rather well. Of course weekly cleaning would be good to have but we know how impractical that would be for most TOCs. They really did shoot themselves in the foot with the rebrand, and I'm surprised they sticking to light grey flooring in units such as the Turbos. As I've said before, if it aint broke, don't try to fix it!

dk1

Veteran Member
It is one reason why I liked the FGW interiors. Darker carpets, and Dark Moquette hid the daily dirt rather well. Of course weekly cleaning would be good to have but we know how impractical that would be for most TOCs. They really did shoot themselves in the foot with the rebrand, and I'm surprised they sticking to light grey flooring in units such as the Turbos. As I've said before, if it aint broke, don't try to fix it!
Seen it so many times over the years. We said the grey Anglia carpet moquette in the 90s was going to be a disaster & it was. Not helped by fitters filthy boots on the depot either. Why do they never learn? It’s not practical to hydro mist them unless out of traffic as takes too long to dry & smells rank.

Nick Ashwell

If weekly cleaning is impractical that's vile and disgusting and needs to be addressed!

dk1

Veteran Member
If weekly cleaning is impractical that's vile and disgusting and needs to be addressed!
It’s just not practical & never has been. As long as it’s only shoes coming into contact it’s fine. They get hoovered daily.

Nick Ashwell

It’s just not practical & never has been. As long as it’s only shoes coming into contact it’s fine. They get hoovered daily.
It can't take more than ten minutea to hover a carriage, if that's too long then we need more units, especially considering how alert we've become to things recently.

Tbh I thought that also included the seats but mixed up above posts, I do hope seats are at least weekly!

dk1

Veteran Member
It can't take more than ten minutea to hover a carriage, if that's too long then we need more units, especially considering how alert we've become to things recently.

Tbh I thought that also included the seats but mixed up above posts, I do hope seats are at least weekly!
Hoovering is done daily if not several times a day. It’s hydromisting the carpets that I thought was being referred to.

fgwrich

Established Member
Hoovering is done daily if not several times a day. It’s hydromisting the carpets that I thought was being referred to.

I was referring to the seat covers than the carpets - though both is something that needs to be regular cleaned. SWT's Salisbury Depot always used to impress me, although their Moquette was bright red, there was a local Dry Cleaners not far from the station which usually had a few rails of freshly cleaned seat covers hanging by the window. A nice bit of attention to detail and care, something I cant see continuing under SWR unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.