• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR should use HST 'Castle Class' sets on Brighton/Portsmouth - Cardiff services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Energy

Established Member
Given the physical restriction, it isn’t going to happen. As part of the recent Direct Award GWR has been asked to consider options for improving the passenger environment of the Cardiff to Portsmouth route but that’s probably for another thread, as it certainly won’t involve Castle Class rolling stock.
The DA also suggested a refurb of the turbos with 2 + 2 seating, a turbo with the first class of 166205 throughout would be nice.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brissle Girl

Established Member
The DA also suggested a refurb of the turbos with 2 + 2 seating, a turbo with the first class of 166205 throughout would be nice.
That's what I was alluding too, without going into any detail as at the time it would have been taking the topic further OT.

TheWalrus

Established Member
The suggestion of and the reasons why HSTs can't be used on the Cardiff to Portsmouth route have been done to death on the Forum anyway.
Yes this has been done recently, something to do with gauge clearance on Hamble Bridge?

devonexpress

Yes this has been done recently, something to do with gauge clearance on Hamble Bridge?
Yet how many times have we heard 'gauge clearances' by forum experts and it turned out not to be true. :lol: I think 5 carCastle sets would work, the normal 4 cars, plus one of the composite coaches from the high density sets could work, maybe with a slightly smaller first class station, and an area in between for trolleys etc to be stored?

Lewlew

HSTs have worked to Portsmouth relatively recently (a few years ago) as football extras (I believe) but didn't they go via Eastleigh and Botley instead of Southampton?

Was route clearance the issue there or was it just because it was a non stop service?

Brissle Girl

Established Member
HSTs have worked to Portsmouth relatively recently (a few years ago) as football extras (I believe) but didn't they go via Eastleigh and Botley instead of Southampton?

Was route clearance the issue there or was it just because it was a non stop service?
The restriction has been in place for many years, (presumably since HST's were introduced?), so I think it's safe to assume that the route was used to avoid the particular restriction.

devonexpress

HST's have been too Portsmouth back in the Intercity swallow days, I believe even Virgin XC used to run HST's to Portsmouth although you might be correct about via Eastleigh. However, it was only a few years ago people said IET's couldn't go to Pembroke Dock because they of their length, that turned out to be false. It may be some minor modifications could be needed to allow it, but I think it could work, and would certainly free up more 165/166s to get rid of the 150s on Exmouth - Paignton services.

So having had a quick look at the Sectional Appendix,
The Cl.43s have an 'OPPOS' restriction between Laverstock South Jn and Salisbury Tunnel Jn;
A 'Not Permitted' between St Deny's Jn - Change of LOR (where every other diesel locomotive class has a blanket 15mph restriction. This would be over Hamble viaduct.

OPPOS applies between Laverstock South Jn and Salisbury Tunnel Jn
15 mph over Hamble viaduct No.29 (8m 75ch) between Burlesdon and Swanwick
With regard to the coaching stock - only the un-modded Mark III stock has clearance (one presumes, currently) which also, currently, excludes the Mark III DVT which doesn't have clearance.

OPPOS -
Running lines or sidings mentioned on the right hand side of the load looking in the
direction of travel must be clear and no train signalled 2-6-2 or 2-6-3 must be allowed on
the running lines or sidings on the left hand side of the load. To be signalled by the
special is line clear 2-6-3

NESA - South Western MkIII Clearance.jpg

So I would foresee a little bit of work being required to allow an HST in any description to run that particular route.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
HST's have been too Portsmouth back in the Intercity swallow days, I believe even Virgin XC used to run HST's to Portsmouth

Yes, but that was via Guildford, not Basingstoke.

It may be some minor modifications could be needed to allow it, but I think it could work, and would certainly free up more 165/166s to get rid of the 150s on Exmouth - Paignton services.

All a bit late as the coaches are now rapidly being scrapped so it won't happen.

devonexpress

Yes, but that was via Guildford, not Basingstoke.

All a bit late as the coaches are now rapidly being scrapped so it won't happen.
1) You didn't read my full paragraph, I said that they went via Eastleigh.
2) Rubbish, most of the stock is still sitting idle awaiting a use, only one Lessor is scraping MK3 coaches. And the new GWR franchise is requiring them to bring in a further Castle set.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
1) You didn't read my full paragraph, I said that they went via Eastleigh.
2) Rubbish, most of the stock is still sitting idle awaiting a use, only one Lessor is scraping MK3 coaches. And the new GWR franchise is requiring them to bring in a further Castle set.

The Virgin XC services which went via Eastleigh didn't go to Portsmouth.
Both Angel and Porterbrook have sent HST carriages for scrap. The Angel carriages are going quite quickly now.

devonexpress

The Virgin XC services which went via Eastleigh didn't go to Portsmouth.
Both Angel and Porterbrook have sent HST carriages for scrap. The Angel carriages are going quite quickly now.
Yes probably the worst ones, Poterbrook aren't' scrapping all of them. Intercity railfreight have been trying to get their hands on a few of them too.

Status
Not open for further replies.