• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Turbo cascade progress to Bristol region services

Status
Not open for further replies.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Has it been decided which Class 166s are specially dedicated for the Avonmouth/Severn Beach services, or will it be at random?

Also, will they be permanently based at Bristol, or will it be similar to the Barrow in Furness/Blackpool North/Windermere - Manchester Airport via Bolton where the Class 185s on hire from Transpennine Express to Northern Rail are rotated around with different units daily?

Likely to be permanently based in Bristol, not many 166s will have the ride height mods initially.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D1009

Established Member
Sorry if I've overlooked this in an earlier post, but can I please ask what this Ride Height Modification is all about?
AIUI put simply, 165/166s have always had a problem with gaugung due to the protuding stepboards being foul of platform edges. Raising the ride height overcomes this.

FGW_DID

Established Member
As of today:

166204 has gone to St Phillips Marsh for Ride Height Modification (RHM).
166208 RHM complete and is at SPM.
166212 RHM complete and has returned to Reading.

D6975

Established Member
I'm not sure how many operational Turbos will be at Bristol at the start of July, but the Severn Beach line would require just 2.

Note that this will only require a small adjustment to the diagrams to keep them captive, interworking and through working of Beach line services is almost non existant nowadays. A few years ago they swapped over with Gloster stoppers and some worked through to W-S-M.

Class 33

Established Member
Looking forward to the 3-car Turbo's on the Severn Beach line in just over a weeks time(Monday 3rd July). As I use these services regularly now. Will be a refreshing change to see and ride Turbo's on these services instead of the "same old same old" 150's!(though sometime 3-car 158's with nicer seating).

Currently, about half the time it's 3-car trains and you can usually find a seat(though not always). And the other half, it's 2-car trains which are over-crowded and you have to make do with standing up. And last Tuesday when I boarded it, it was VERY crowded as it was only a single car Class 153 on that service! Ridiculous! But thankfully very rare, of just a single car DMU operating on these services. And something I've never seen happen on a train before, because the rear cab where the conductor usually sits, was made available for passengers to use because the train was so over-crowded!

Anyway, just over a week now till the Turbo's start on the Severn Beach line. Looking forward to it!

JN114

Established Member
As of this Afternoon 166204, 205 and 208 will be the three units "permanently" based at SPM.

gallafent

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/temple-meads-getting-new-trains-140557

“New British Rail Class 165 and 163 trains will be operating out of Bristol Temple Meads starting next from Monday.”

“The hand-me-down locomotives will start running on the Severn beach line from next Monday[…]”

“[…]some of which dates back to the nationalised British Rail era of the 1970s[…]”

“However the project, estimated to cost £2.8bn, has been delayed by a number of years, meaning that the route will not see electric trains until 2020

“The Hitachi’s are bi-mode, meaning they can draw power from electrified portions of the track[…]”

(My emboldening in each case.)

Where to start? Sigh.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld

“New British Rail Class 165 and 163 trains will be operating out of Bristol Temple Meads starting next from Monday.”

“The hand-me-down locomotives will start running on the Severn beach line from next Monday[…]”

“[…]some of which dates back to the nationalised British Rail era of the 1970s[…]”

“However the project, estimated to cost £2.8bn, has been delayed by a number of years, meaning that the route will not see electric trains until 2020

“The Hitachi’s are bi-mode, meaning they can draw power from electrified portions of the track[…]”

Where to start? Sigh.

Was this put together by a "reporter" immediately after a heavy session down the pub?

bgstrowger

Where to start? Sigh.

Is a Class 163 a single car version of a Class 165 :D

cactustwirly

Established Member
I hope they install new seat foam, new seat covers & repair the interior panelling before next Monday....

Where to start? Sigh.

No one who lives in Bristol will be in the least surprised by this incompetent drivel, it's gone downhill over a few years, from a decent local paper, to something no better than a free rag......

Drsatan

Established Member
No one who lives in Bristol will be in the least surprised by this incompetent drivel, it's gone downhill over a few years, from a decent local paper, to something no better than a free rag......

Was this put together by a "reporter" immediately after a heavy session down the pub?

Having worked in the local newspaper industry (but not as a reporter), I'm assuming this article was hastily written by a trainee reporter fresh out of university chained to his desk.

Nowadays, the big regional newspaper firms (including Trinity Mirror, owner of the Post) aren't by and large interested in accurate reporting, only web-hits. The headline for the piece reflects that as it's clickbait.

The days when reporters could spend long lunchtimes down the pub are long gone. Local hacks are more likely to wolf down a sandwich al-desko while frantically finding stories that meet their quote. I believe Trinity Mirror now monitors the web traffic of each story a reporter uploads, with requirements for a certain number of story types to be written for the web daily, if this award-winning reporter is to be believed.

Class 33

Established Member
Really looking forward to Monday and getting a couple of rides(albeit only very short rides) on the Turbo's on Severn Beach line services. Will be the first time in about 18 years I've been on a Turbo in the BRISTOL area. Last time I got on one round this way was when they were on the short-lived Thames Trains Bristol Temple Meads-Oxford services back in the late 90's and early 00's.

Better not be a bloody 150 that turns up on Monday morning!

pompeyfan

Established Member
Sorry if I'm late to the party on this one, but are there now additional guards panels yet? And are turbos '10 bell' dispatch?

Rich McLean

Established Member
Sorry if I'm late to the party on this one, but are there now additional guards panels yet? And are turbos '10 bell' dispatch?

Been confirmed elsewhere that on the converted units the rear cab door controls have been modded, so are live when the desk is keyed out. Driver's will open and guards will close on dispatch. There are no intermediate door controls.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Really looking forward to Monday and getting a couple of rides(albeit only very short rides) on the Turbo's on Severn Beach line services. Will be the first time in about 18 years I've been on a Turbo in the BRISTOL area. Last time I got on one round this way was when they were on the short-lived Thames Trains Bristol Temple Meads-Oxford services back in the late 90's and early 00's.

Better not be a bloody 150 that turns up on Monday morning!

Don't turn up for the first train at 0514 as that is still booked 150 and drifts off to Weston-super-Mare on return going into Cardiff Tauntons.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Been confirmed elsewhere that on the converted units the rear cab door controls have been modded, so are live when the desk is keyed out. Driver's will open and guards will close on dispatch. There are no intermediate door controls.

Thanks for clarifying!

superalbs

Established Member
Will the Class 166s be working all other services on this route except that one?

Thanks.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Will the Class 166s be working all other services on this route except that one?

Thanks.

RTT platforming indicates they will be tied up all day solely on the Severn Beach line and probably will be for the immediate future and until there are more in the GWR (West) area which depends on their being released from LTV area.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Morning all,

I was informed yesterday that there are 4x Class 165/166 units (not sure which) at St. Philips Marsh, Bristol from where they will take over duties on the Severn Beach line starting 3rd July as mentioned on GWR's website. I was told that these will be primarily for the Severn Beach line and not other routes.

Unit numbers are, I was told, 004, 005 008 & 012.

It has been a while since I have used a 165/166: the depot I work from for my employers used to cover Slough & Reading but a neighbouring depot now does that area. Hope they have had a refurb of some sort prior to service.

More space for the 1803 BRI-SVB train home: good thing too as that trip is always a squash with a 2/150.

Dave

cactustwirly

Established Member
Morning all,

I was informed yesterday that there are 4x Class 165/166 units (not sure which) at St. Philips Marsh, Bristol from where they will take over duties on the Severn Beach line starting 3rd July as mentioned on GWR's website. I was told that these will be primarily for the Severn Beach line and not other routes.

Unit numbers are, I was told, 004, 005 008 & 012.

It has been a while since I have used a 165/166: the depot I work from for my employers used to cover Slough & Reading but a neighbouring depot now does that area. Hope they have had a refurb of some sort prior to service.

More space for the 1803 BRI-SVB train home: good thing too as that trip is always a squash with a 2/150.

Dave

Sorry to be pedantic, but those are Chiltern units. I assume you mean (166)204, 205, 208 and 212

I'm not sure about 212, but the rest were confirmed earlier in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveHarries

Established Member
Sorry to be pedantic, but those are Chiltern units. I assume you mean (166)204, 205, 208 and 212

I'm not sure about 212, but the rest were confirmed in the other thread.
No worries Cactus: thanks for the correction.

The person who gave me the info, who works for GWR, said they were "Class 166s [...] numbers 4, 5, 8 and 12" so I was none the wiser as to the exact numbers.

Dave

JN114

Established Member

I'm not sure about 212, but the rest were confirmed earlier in this thread.

212 went West on Friday's 3U77. There was no return path. While there are 4 Turbos at SPM presently; I don't think they're all for traffic - Bristol are doing the Ride Height mods to the fleet; and 2 of those 4 aren't RHM (ride height modified) units.

JN114

Established Member

Thanks.

166s in the West Country will be Severn Beach branch ONLY until the new year. Further work is required for them to enter passenger service elsewhere.

FGW_DID

Established Member
212 went West on Friday's 3U77. There was no return path. While there are 4 Turbos at SPM presently; I don't think they're all for traffic - Bristol are doing the Ride Height mods to the fleet; and 2 of those 4 aren't RHM (ride height modified) units.

166204, 208 & 212 are all RHM

166205 RHM mod is in progress.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
RTT platforming indicates they will be tied up all day solely on the Severn Beach line and probably will be for the immediate future and until there are more in the GWR (West) area which depends on their being released from LTV area.

What's happening to the 150s that ran the service until now?
Do they head to Northern, or ROSCO for refurb?
Or just stay in the GWR pool?

Dai Corner

Established Member
According to RTT the 0548 Temple Meads to Avonmouth and 0629 return were cancelled so not a good start

JN114

Established Member
According to RTT the 0548 Temple Meads to Avonmouth and 0629 return were cancelled so not a good start

Yeah it's a bit of an oddball one that - in short a paperwork issue. There's a little more to it than that but probably shouldn't go into it on a public forum.

Turbo service has now begun on the Severn Beach; 166205 and 166208 doing the honours.

Class 33

Established Member
I live near the line and can hear the Turbo's. Looking forward to actually seeing and ride one in just a mo.

However, lots of delays on Severn Beach line services today for some reason. Though doesn't help that it's just a single track line(with some passing points), and a delay to a service in one direction causes a delay for a service in the other direction. They ought to re-double the entire line!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.