• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Waterloo and Euston

Could be wrong but I think an GWR IET might be about to venture into Waterloo and Euston, I assume for clearance runs

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

contrex

To do with diversions because of construction at Old Oak Common? Waterloo & Euston were mentioned in a Railway Hub interview with Mark Hopwood in November 2023. Euston, he says, is the preferred option, being half an hour quicker from Acton. Also he talks about improving access from the West London line to North Pole depot.

traji00

802101 just arrived into Platform 17 at Waterloo.

Attachments

• IMG_2389.jpeg
    IMG_2389.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 564

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
These intended paths were also mentioned in the Old Oak Common station thread yesterday.

Recessio

I was wondering why I saw a GWR train going through Battersea Queenstown Road, I was wondering if I was seeing things...

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
There was talk of wiring the short OHLE gaps at Acton Bank and through SW Sidings to the WCML - do we know if this is still on the cards?

Benjwri

Established Member
Was another IET out at Euston today testing the a lot of the low numbered platforms.

Boodiggy

Was another IET out at Euston today testing the a lot of the low numbered platforms.
All platforms will be checked through the week! Checking stepping height and distances plus use of ramp for wheelchairs etc

The Planner

Veteran Member
The overall plan is still to use Euston P16 if they can. Waterloo is very very unlikely.

Benjwri

Established Member
I don't believe Marylebone has been suggested. Certainly no testing of the trains has been carried out and as far as I know IETs are not currently passed for the route.
Would be a nightmare at Oxford, there isn't the space in the timetable to reverse, and at that point you're ripping significant amounts of services from Reading to Oxford, which in my experience is a very busy route.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Would be a nightmare at Oxford, there isn't the space in the timetable to reverse, and at that point you're ripping significant amounts of services from Reading to Oxford, which in my experience is a very busy route.
Currently you could potentially devise a plan (with accommodations by Chiltern) to reverse 5 car trains in the bay platforms. Once EWR start running this won‘t be possible. But as stated above, 800s aren’t cleared to Marylebone so it’s a moot point.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

Which does raise the issue that people will "wait" for through trains to Euston which will probably make them artificially busy as opposed to the trains that terminate at Reading (I assume there will be some to keep up frequencies).

The Planner

Veteran Member
Which does raise the issue that people will "wait" for through trains to Euston which will probably make them artificially busy as opposed to the trains that terminate at Reading (I assume there will be some to keep up frequencies).
People will look at what the quickest service will be, if its the Euston train then its a risk which people already understand. Trains will be getting to Ealing Broadway rather than Reading.

TrainBoy98

I guess at least at Ealing its a relatively easy connection to Lizzie line or the tube for onward journeys - hopefully the journey planners will be set up in a way that doesn't overcrowd Euston (as we all know Euston has it's own issues at the mo)

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I guess at least at Ealing its a relatively easy connection to Lizzie line or the tube for onward journeys - hopefully the journey planners will be set up in a way that doesn't overcrowd Euston (as we all know Euston has it's own issues at the mo)

Last Christmas already had trains terminating at Ealing Broadway so the plans are in place.

Don’t forget the Elizabeth line is equally impacted though so will terminate at Ealing Broadway or divert too.

The main risk is Central line overcrowding.

Established Member
The overall plan is still to use Euston P16 if they can. Waterloo is very very unlikely.
And if they can’t, Waterloo is still unlikely?
I’m expecting a mixture of GWR services to Euston, Waterloo, Reading and Ealing Broadway simply because none of the above will be able to reverse the full Paddington service on their own, with as many trains as possible terminating at each practical location.

Is it not useful for passengers who are inconvenienced by the closure of Paddington to have a choice of multiple alternative points in London they could arrive at?

The Planner

Veteran Member
And if they can’t, Waterloo is still unlikely?
2tph to Euston will work I expect.
I’m expecting a mixture of GWR services to Euston, Waterloo, Reading and Ealing Broadway simply because none of the above will be able to reverse the full Paddington service on their own, with as many trains as possible terminating at each practical location.

Is it not useful for passengers who are inconvenienced by the closure of Paddington to have a choice of multiple alternative points in London they could arrive at?
They won't go to Waterloo, takes too long.