• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hagley -> Bath Spa (Excess-ively complicate?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albion91

I need to go from Hagley to Bath Spa on Saturday 28th (Time not hugely important - but would prefer it to arrive early afternoon) and go from Bath Spa to The Hawthorns on Sunday 29th (must arrive by 14.30ish).

This means that I could go out via Worcester (if it helped) but have to come back via Birmingham because as far as I can tell, you can't get back via Worcester in time on the Sunday.

Possibility 1: (As suggested by Trainsplit) £38.40
Hagley to Cheltenham Spa Off-Peak Return (via Birmingham) (SVR) (26-30 Railcard) £21.70
Cheltenham Spa to Bath Spa Off-Peak Return (SVR) (26-30 Railcard) £16.75.

Fairly self explanatory. Would stop short at The Hawthorns on return.

Possibility 2: (Using change of route excess) £33.68
Hagley to Cheltenham Spa Off Peak Return (SVR) (26-30 Railcard) £12.15 (via Worcester)
+Excessing this return only to Hagley to Cheltenham Spa Off-Peak Return (via Birmingham) (SVR) (26-30 Railcard) (Excess cost £4.78?)
Cheltenham Spa to Bath Spa Off-Peak Return (SVR) (26-30 Railcard) £16.75.

My idea here would is that I could use going out via Worcester + coming back via Birmingham so I didn't have to pay for the more expensive route twice.

Or Possibility 3: (Probably trying too hard at this point): £30.65
Hagley to Droitwich Spa Anytime Day Single (SOS) (26-30 Railcard) £3.75
Droitwich Spa to Bath Spa Off Peak Day Return (CDR) (Not via Birmingham) (26-30 Railcard) £13.05
+Excessing this return only to Droitwich Spa to Bath Spa Off Peak Return (SVR) (Any Permitted) (26-30 Railcard) (Excess cost £13.85?).

I have a couple of concerns about the validity of this.
Firstly - does the any permitted Droitwich - Bath ticket allow me to go via New St. and Snow Hill (and therefore, allow me to come back via the Hawthorns?)
Secondly, am I allowed to change of route excess a CDR to an SVR? I think ti helps that there is no CDR valid via Birmingham but not sure?

Would appreciate anyone looking over these possibilities and letting me know if this is valid and whether anyone has any other ideas?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
1 and 2 seem fine. You may struggle to find a staff member willing/able to issue 3. If you do find one, that may still not leave you with a ticket valid on the next day. Excesses are a bit of a lottery.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Personally I think (3) is fine, from the definition of an excess fare "converting" one fare into another, but that is strictly my personal interpretation, as a change of route in one direction is not strictly doing that, so some grey areas exist.

That said, bear in mind the excess fare coupon will not normally print the fare type you excessed to, but the type of excess, so prints something along the lines of "Alt Route Excess". When used in combination with the original ticket, which happens to be a day return, and only supposedly valid beyond the end of the day by virtue of there being no day return priced for the alternative route, be prepared for possible disputes and I for one wouldn't be 100% sure of winning the argument, all for the sake of a couple of quid.

The choice, of course, is yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.