• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hard- difficult places to visit and locos to clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
In my experience Hamilton shunters were never easy. In the end I had to go on a tour where a permit for Ravenscraig Steelworks was obtained. 4 Hamilton shunters were in the works grounds enabling me to clear the depot. Then 05001 was always fun. Get to Portsmouth Harbour then ferry to IoW then train to Shanklin. Meldon quarry was another and a half mile trek to get the shunter there. Dunfermline Townhill was an absolute b.....h to get around to clear my Class 06s. Did it with the aid of a society tour and (permit I think but on reflection may have been a request/blag). Bletchley shunters gave me grief too. Went to my aunts who lived in Haversham and my cousins showed me the back way into Wolverton works and I saw all 4 Bletchley 08s required to clear that depot. I never worked out why Allerton gave me grief but it was an Allerton 08 that was one of my last 3 locos for my first time round clearing.

What locos or depots did you all struggle with?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Richard Scott

Established Member
The Severn Tunnel Rescue loco. Had to go to Sudbrook to see it, only when worked in area got to see it. 03s at Birkenhead and Gateshead hard to get, got lucky and allowed around both depots to see them. Wolverton 08s, 08629 was wanted by almost everyone. Only got that when went to works with someone as we had a job to do there! Couple of 66s exported to France and Poland still eluding me!!! Annoying loco I missed was 47233, think was a Cardiff or Crewe based loco, no idea why couldn't get it.

delt1c

Established Member
The 01's at Holyhead Breakwater, Only got there once and remember looking through a window in the "shed" to try and see.

APT618S

Bletchley shunters gave me grief too.
My last loco to clear was a Bletchley 08.
Meldon quarry was another and a half mile trek to get the shunter there.
Remember it was not the best of roads driving up to the quarry and you had the lorries thundering past the other way.

As a spotter in the 1950's the loco I always wanted to see was BR no 1, an 0-4-0 saddle tank built for the Ystalyfera Tin Works in South Wales. Named Hercules it was scrapped in 1954 before I could get to it (I was only nine).

Calthrop

Established Member
"Difficult places to visit", in a decidedly broad sense: some fifty years ago a fair number of enthusiasts -- myself included -- were eager to travel over B.R. lines which had lost their passenger services, but were still open for freight. One of the chief means of achieving this (and interesting in its own right, not just for getting lines "in the bag"), was travelling in the brake vans of freight trains serving these lines. For this, one needed to approach the relevant geographical Division of the B.R. region concerned. Most were willing to grant permits for brake-van travel on a specific line / day -- a fee was charged, the amount of same varying from division to division.

Unfortunately there were a few divisions which as a matter of policy, would have no truck with this nonsense. One such, was the Stoke-on-Trent Division of the London Midland Region. Particular grief was caused thereby, to enthusiasts of this particular bent -- because with Stoke Division's having in its remit much of North Wales, as well as some desirable locations in England; some much-coveted lines, could not be brake-van-covered with official sanction. There come to mind, the freight lines to Oakamoor and to Cauldon Low; and the Amlwch branch. The only recourse for travelling over such lines by this means, was to go to the location concerned "on spec", and request of the train crew, an unofficial brake-van ride: in some cases, offering them equally unofficial financial inducement. Such missions were sometimes successful; but the desired thing's coming about, could of course not be guaranteed.

Last edited:

SteveM70

Established Member
Shunters were always the hardest.

Taking a slightly different slant.....

- the most rewarding depot visit I had was to Shirebrook on a Sunday, and the place was stuffed full of 56s and 58s. Getting there was a nightmare though because it was the mid 80s before the station reopened

- the most disappointing feeling was leaving Inverness heading back south knowing it’d be years if I went back and the chance of getting anything I’d not spotted was vanishingly small

Beebman

Shunters were always the hardest.

Taking a slightly different slant.....

- the most rewarding depot visit I had was to Shirebrook on a Sunday, and the place was stuffed full of 56s and 58s. Getting there was a nightmare though because it was the mid 80s before the station reopened

- the most disappointing feeling was leaving Inverness heading back south knowing it’d be years if I went back and the chance of getting anything I’d not spotted was vanishingly small

I agree with shunters at Inverness or indeed at other Scottish depots. I made numerous trips past Motherwell depot but I never did clear all of the 08s there.

My own 'bogey' loco for sight was my last 37, 37899 which was exported to Spain before I managed to see it. It was scrapped there after an 'excursion' down an embankment.

neilmc

In 1970 a mate and I took a Scottish Railrover holiday, and decided to actually ASK permission to bunk all the depots there. There were two reasons for this - one was that, as I have subsequently always found, that the Scots are far nicer, friendlier and gracious people than most of the English and, given that, if we succeeded in having a visit to a depot endorsed we could then ascertain from the foreman the whereabouts of any locos we still needed to see. This worked well except at Dunfermline Townhill where, after catching a bus labelled "Townhill" and ending up in completely the wrong place, we got to the shed on another bus and were promptly refused entry. Fortunately any locos we still needed were visible in the shed yard.

The end result was that the number of unseen locos based in Scotland was reduced from around a hundred to just seven, out of a final total of around 150 nationwide. This meant that we could no longer justify any spotting trips north of the border, not even when 20007, a local inhabitant of Tinsley and my last needed class 20, ended up transferred to Scotland! In 1971 I went to university, before leaving home I took a long hard look at the locos I still needed to see and where they were spread out, and decided loco spotting had had its day and the money spent could better be put towards beer, and so I chucked out all my spotter books and notes (oh the folly of youth!). I could still "clear" my class 20s fifty years later as of course 20007 is preserved, but I have never found the inclination to do so.

xotGD

Established Member
I could still "clear" my class 20s fifty years later as of course 20007 is preserved, but I have never found the inclination to do so.
Oh, I think you should. If nothing else it will probably set some kind of record for longest gap between seeing your penultimate member of a class and the last one!

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Just remembered. 7 8 and 9 Vale of Rheidol steam locos were in BR capital stock and the Ian Allan Locoshed book so I had to see them. A quick trip to Aberystwyth right? Well yes and no. For my first time around 7 was in Swindon works. So I needed a trip there too before I could clear.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I've written on the Forum before about my Rail Rover exploits in the 1980s, but my Townhill experience deserves repeating, I think.

It was always considered to be almost impossible to visit, because they didn't issue permits and refused all requests to go around, even though people had travelled for a long distance. So, it was with some lack of confidence that I made my one and only attempt to visit. The standard practice was, as neilmc says, to go to the depot, ask the Shed Foreman for permission and, if possible, visit the shed.

I arrived there, walked through the main door and went to the office - and there was no-one there! So, not wishing to miss this opportunity, I went looking for the Shed Forman ... which just happened to involve walking around the shed, taking numbers as I went. Not having found him, I returned to the entrance (which was now the exit) ... and left to go back to where I'd come from.

To this day, I don't know where he was or why I wasn't stopped by anyone ... but I wasn't complaining then, and I'm not now!

Calthrop

Established Member
Branding self as an ignoramus here; but, please, where is / was Townhill?

Calthrop

Established Member
Thanks, folks -- Central Scotland is unfortunately largely a closed book to me.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
"Difficult places to visit", in a decidedly broad sense: some fifty years ago a fair number of enthusiasts -- myself included -- were eager to travel over B.R. lines which had lost their passenger services, but were still open for freight. One of the chief means of achieving this (and interesting in its own right, not just for getting lines "in the bag"), was travelling in the brake vans of freight trains serving these lines. For this, one needed to approach the relevant geographical Division of the B.R. region concerned. Most were willing to grant permits for brake-van travel on a specific line / day -- a fee was charged, the amount of same varying from division to division.

Unfortunately there were a few divisions which as a matter of policy, would have no truck with this nonsense. One such, was the Stoke-on-Trent Division of the London Midland Region. Particular grief was caused thereby, to enthusiasts of this particular bent -- because with Stoke Division's having in its remit much of North Wales, as well as some desirable locations in England; some much-coveted lines, could not be brake-van-covered with official sanction. There come to mind, the freight lines to Oakamoor and to Cauldon Low; and the Amlwch branch. The only recourse for travelling over such lines by this means, was to go to the location concerned "on spec", and request of the train crew, an unofficial brake-van ride: in some cases, offering them equally unofficial financial inducement. Such missions were sometimes successful; but the desired thing's coming about, could of course not be guaranteed.

I did this as well - at first joining ones organised by the Warwickshire Railway Society and later on, with friends, by writing to the relevant Division. I didn't encounter the difficulties you mention, but then I never tried the Stoke Division - and it's odd that the D.M. Stoke at about that time was a well known railway author.

I remember when I travelled Colwick to Burton ( on the mainly ex G.N. route and over the viaduct), on presenting myself I was told buy a ticket at Netherfield & Colwick station - which was of course technically invalid, being routed via the ex Midland.

Reception by guards ranged from indifference to friendliness; once, in South Wales, I was not only invited onto the loco ('Keep your head down going through Newport'), but, when returning from Ebbw Vale engine & brakevan, the driver stopping (on the running line) at a colliery so we could photo an interesting colliery loco.

It did seem that the Divisions felt some obligation to provide this facility - I was never challenged or asked why. The limit to my journeys was that an early start from a distant location would often be involved.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Oh, I think you should. If nothing else it will probably set some kind of record for longest gap between seeing your penultimate member of a class and the last one!
I contend that my uncle may currently hold that record.

In his younger days, when he lived in Grantham, he saw all the A4s except one: 60009.

Fast forward many years and that first steam special out of King's Cross with 60009 on the front of it... he and I were there to watch it depart; in his case he finally cleared all the A4s for sight that day. :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I contend that my uncle may currently hold that record.

In his younger days, when he lived in Grantham, he saw all the A4s except one: 60009.

Fast forward many years and that first steam special out of King's Cross with 60009 on the front of it... he and I were there to watch it depart; in his case he finally cleared all the A4s for sight that day. :)

That’s pretty cool. :)

D1537

A friend who I used to go bashing with in my early teenage years has had 49 Class 50s for haulage - the only one he requires is 50042. I have made him agree to a day out if 042 ever takes a trip up north; as he says "It's definitely an excuse to go out and have a few beers, but I'm not going to bloody Cornwall to do it". He thinks it is 1982 that he had the 49th one.

magpiespy

I spent many weekends of my teenage years at the lineside of the WCML at various locations in Euxton and Leyland from 1986-1990. I also went to Euston a few times and often spent afternoons at Preston station and, later, Manchester Piccadilly.

I got around the country a bit. By the time I drifted away, I needed under 100 locos, probably about half of them 08s. I'd cleared plenty of classes including the distant 50 and 58.

I saw all the 87s, including Stephenson, and all the 86s. With one exception.

86253 The Manchester Guardian eluded me. Everyone I went spotting with had seen it. I certainly put the hours in but just never got lucky.

Last edited:

Watford West

In 1975 I went spotting with a couple of school friends one weekend to Old Oak Common shed. We had no official pass but just 'tried our luck' and managed to get down into the main area. I cannot remember any great detail, but one thing that does stand out was seeing a piston and con-rod from a class 47 that was being repaired hanging from a wire rack. I've never seen such a huge piston before or since. I do remember the turntable, which was out in the open, but I think it was under cover in steam days? I think we must have been ejected from the site at some point, but as ever you only remember the good bits. Halcyon days!

Calthrop

Established Member
I did this as well - at first joining ones organised by the Warwickshire Railway Society and later on, with friends, by writing to the relevant Division. I didn't encounter the difficulties you mention, but then I never tried the Stoke Division - and it's odd that the D.M. Stoke at about that time was a well known railway author.

Fancifully, perhaps: one gathers that fifty-odd years ago, the highest echelons in B.R. took a rather dim view of railway-enthusiasm on the part of anyone on the management side of the organisation; might the D.M. -- for this reason, viewed with suspicion -- have been trying to offset that effect, by making a point of being harsh and unyielding about brake-van trips?

With it all being half a century ago, I've forgotten a lot of the details: I did BVTs in a variety of parts of the country; with most Divisions, as mentioned, officially allowing it -- but a few, including Stoke, not so. I remember difficulties involving the Holme -- Ramsey (North) branch, close to where I then lived: IIRC whichever Division that fell under, refused to cater to would-be brake-van-trippers. Thoughts were had, of going to the branch "on spec", and asking a favour of the staff on the spot; but never got round to actually trying that. Once I happened by chance to be at Ramsey (North) when a short freight train was just then leaving for Holme; but begging a ride on it was not at that juncture, possible in practical terms

I remember when I travelled Colwick to Burton ( on the mainly ex G.N. route and over the viaduct), on presenting myself I was told buy a ticket at Netherfield & Colwick station - which was of course technically invalid, being routed via the ex Midland.

It did seem that the Divisions felt some obligation to provide this facility - I was never challenged or asked why. The limit to my journeys was that an early start from a
distant location would often be involved.

In a previous thread, there was a bit of discussion of the above general "scene", largely concerning the distant past rather than our own late 60s / early 70s time of engaging in this stuff. The matter was raised there, of acceptance of would-be passengers -- including folk straightforwardly wishing to get from A to B for "sensible" purposes -- paying the normal standard fare, and travelling to their desired destination in the brake-van of a freight on a closed-to-passengers line: it would appear that it did indeed at least to some extent, happen -- well, as per your Netherfield & Colwick experience. I'm pretty sure that I and my fellow-brake-vanners never had occasion to do things this way; perhaps in part, a matter of attitude -- we (as well as the populace as a whole !) felt that we were engaged in trying to do something thoroughly weird -- accomplishable only by getting special permission from Authority if they would graciously grant it, or trying to make surreptitious on-the-spot arrangements if they wouldn't: it could be that this worked out for us as something of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

@Merle Haggard said: "Reception by guards ranged from indifference to friendliness; once, in South Wales, I was not only invited onto the loco ('Keep your head down going through Newport'), but, when returning from Ebbw Vale engine and brakevan, the driver stopping (on the running line) at a colliery so we could photo an interesting colliery loco."

I and my fellows in this business almost always found the train crews pleasant towards us -- polite even when not very interested; often, entering into the spirit of our doings -- I suppose it provided a welcome bit of variety and unusual-ness in their job. Invitations on to the loco came our way quite often; even, once or twice, with steam haulage.

Sultan1056

In the 70‘s Crewe Diesel Depot always seemed to be too difficult to get round. I only managed to get a 100 yards or so down the ramp before being turned around. The only good thing is that you could stand at the end of platform 2 and watch a lot of activity with plenty of arrivals and departure.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I've written on the Forum before about my Rail Rover exploits in the 1980s, but my Townhill experience deserves repeating, I think.

It was always considered to be almost impossible to visit, because they didn't issue permits and refused all requests to go around, even though people had travelled for a long distance. So, it was with some lack of confidence that I made my one and only attempt to visit. The standard practice was, as neilmc says, to go to the depot, ask the Shed Foreman for permission and, if possible, visit the shed.

I arrived there, walked through the main door and went to the office - and there was no-one there! So, not wishing to miss this opportunity, I went looking for the Shed Forman ... which just happened to involve walking around the shed, taking numbers as I went. Not having found him, I returned to the entrance (which was now the exit) ... and left to go back to where I'd come from.

To this day, I don't know where he was or why I wasn't stopped by anyone ... but I wasn't complaining then, and I'm not now!

Yes. Townhill was next to impossible. I went round twice in all my years of spotting. Very difficult.

Branding self as an ignoramus here; but, please, where is / was Townhill?

DT -Dunfermline Townhill Dunfermline Townhill TMD - Wikipedia

Prior to May 1973 it was shed code 62C.

Wasn't it on the Dunfirmline Upper line, next to the football ground?

That Wonkypedia piece says it "is" (NB tense) on the Fife Circle.

Do you know - now you mention it - I am not 100% sure to be honest. I know I only got round it twice in my whole career.

Thanks, folks -- Central Scotland is unfortunately largely a closed book to me.

My Platform 5 Depot Directory Pocket Book (First Edition, 1978) says that "the depot is on the south side of the line between Dunfermline and Cowdenbeath stations. The yard is partially visible from the line." It then gives directions from Dunfermline station, which involved walking, then taking a bus (I've made a manual note changing the service) and then walking to the depot. The journey time is said to be 30 minutes.

However, after a while searching Google Maps, it looks like it's now a housing development, and there's nothing to show what it was. There's no trace of the line, though, which makes me wonder whether the map is right .. but I haven't been able to find anything, so that'll do for me.

I only went there once, probably because of it's reputation .. but I'm glad that I did!

Status
Not open for further replies.