• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Harrow Fatality

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperVoyager

Rail services in and out of London have been disrupted after a fatality at Harrow and Wealdstone station.
Both Virgin Trains and London Midland have reported 40 minute delays on their routes into London Euston, after the incident which happened at lunchtime today.

Tickets are being accepted on Chiltern, CrossCountry, East Midlands, First Great Western, National Express East Coast and London Underground services.

A spokesman for British Transport Police said: "At around 12:05pm today BTP received reports of a person having been struck by a train at Harrow and Wealdstone station.

"The train was the 11.46 Euston to Glasgow service, which was travelling at 120mph.

"The deceased is believed to be an elderly man."

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adamp

I bet thats what cancelled my XC train to Manchester Piccadilly from Stoke-On-Trent?

Poor fella who got hit :(

Julian G

Established Member
probably the 2nd time this month this had happened at H&W,

i've noticed Southern Railway were termintating at Wembley Central, (hmm, I wonder if it used the rarely used bay platform over there)

Established Member
It were 321436, and it were a suicide. Apparently.

1S56 1146 Euston-Glasgow was original report as striking the person, 321436 stuck in section on 1154 Eus-M.K arrived MK 1520 !!

Third suicide in a month or so at Harrow ....

Nym

Established Member
must be popular, wonder if they could get away with setting dedicated platforms and having them double door things like at the new jubilee stations?

Ascot

Established Member
must be popular, wonder if they could get away with setting dedicated platforms and having them double door things like at the new jubilee stations?

You willing to get set coach lengths, precise stop boards and remove mk3 coaches?

voyagerdude220

Established Member
1S56 1146 Euston-Glasgow was original report as striking the person, 321436 stuck in section on 1154 Eus-M.K arrived MK 1520 !!

Third suicide in a month or so at Harrow ....

Oh, so it was the 11:46 then...

It's just that I remember looking at NRES this afternoon, and noticing it as "expecting to be reported at Tring at 14: xx", with heavily delayed expected departure times from MKC onwards, which made me think it was the Pendo, until I saw the report about the 321 on the WCML Yahoo Group.

I hope the driver doesn't suffer too much from it, and is able to get over what must have been a great shock, and such a horrible situation to be in..... :(
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I bet thats what cancelled my XC train to Manchester Piccadilly from Stoke-On-Trent?

Poor fella who got hit :(

I don't see XC being affected by the fatality at all, other than accepting other TOCs tickets.

It certainly isn't a "poor fella" if they jumped on purpose, only if they were pushed, is when I would feel sympathy towards the person who was killed. :neutral:

Coxster

Established Member
On top of what Ascot pointed out, people would surely just go elsewhere if PEDs were fitted at Harrow....

Established Member
i've noticed Southern Railway were termintating at Wembley Central, (hmm, I wonder if it used the rarely used bay platform over there)

What bay platform?

It is the shunt neck for Wembley Yard and cannot be accessed from the slow lines, the Southern trains would have been turned back from the Down or Up Slow platforms.

Mintona

Established Member
Euston - Holyhead is VWC.

And at Nuneaton yesterday, all the "gen" was that 321426 had struck someone at Harrow and Wealdstone. It could be incorrect though.

Yes But the train maneger me and pendo were speaking to told us staright away wht had happend it was a glaswgow central service tht had hit and all services out and into euston were cancald due to the The faitality :sad: Poor Sod:sad: why pendolino not london midaland

westcoaster

Established Member
Yes But the train maneger me and pendo were speaking to told us staright away wht had happend it was a glaswgow central service tht had hit and all services out and into euston were cancald due to the The faitality :sad: Poor Sod:sad: why pendolino not london midaland

sorry but why would you want it to happen to anyone (lm not vt), these people do not chose a company or train, they just do it, for any driver it is a bad experience, and touch wood it wont happen to me, to be honest i think it is bad taste when you say "why pendolino not london midland":-x

Ascot

Established Member
Well, it would stop fatalities, there!...

Yes you are correct, slap some doors on stations and they don't jump over bridges or line side while the poor passengers try and open a mk3 door. Well done.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Nym, there is no way your proposal can be taken seriously. Why that location? How much would it cost? And what's the benefit of someone who is utterly determined to end their life in this way doing it somewhere else? How would it be any better to occur at another bridge or station down the line? And where do you draw the line? The railway is already too expensive to maintain as it is due to over-zealous H&S rules!!

bluenoxid

Established Member
Well, it would stop fatalities, there!...

No it wouldnt.

The first thing I would keep hearing is how all the trains look the same and that there is glass in the way when you take photos.

There is reasonable and ridiculous...

adamp

How about a big sign which says "If your selfish enough to think about committing suicide
on the Rail Network disrupting services and stopping everyone else getting on with their life then please go somewhere else and do it...like mcdonalds"

Surley the cost of a sign which said that would be well under £200 ?

Metroland

Established Member
Hmn, when you are at your wits end, a sign, especially an uncaring sign, isn't going to make a jot of difference.

Some problems don't have any answers, and this is one of them.

The key is to get traffic moving as soon as possible, and much of that is in the hands of the police.

It wasn't so long ago, railway staff used to cover the body and open up line speed. If there was a part of the body on the line, gloves were supplied to move it, so traffic could be restarted.

How about a big sign which says "If your selfish enough to think about committing suicide
on the Rail Network disrupting services and stopping everyone else getting on with their life then please go somewhere else and do it...like mcdonalds"

Yes, but the point is that people who commit suicide in this way are really not well enough to think through the implications. I have pointed this out on a previous thread and must declare a personal interest after my mother died in front of a freight train at Harrow in 1995.

It is an apparently selfish act to end your life this way, but the victim surely does not realise this, as their mental state must be in total turmoil.

Why Harrow? One obvious reason is that there are platforms serving the Up Fast, Down Fast, Up Slow and Down Slow, not something that is available at other nearby locations, such as Hatch End, Headstone Lane, Kenton etc. where there are only DC platforms. Nearby Northwick Park hospital has a psychiatric unit. Are there also a higher than usual number of fatalities at Northwick Park LUL station?

I understand that the latest H&W fatality was an elderly gentleman. It will be for the inquest to decide, but there is always the possibility that he stumbled, fell or became disorientated.

Ascot

Established Member

Got all the brains of Britain on this thread. Not sure how to jump in front of a Big Mac meal though.

Coxster

Established Member
There was a trespass incident at Harrow & Wealdstone today which closed the slow lines in both directions for some time, but as the fast lines remained open with Virgin running through okay (LU was only very briefly suspended, with LO suffering severe delays as a result) I guess it couldn't have been anything major.

SuperVoyager

I have to agree on that one :D London Midland suxxxxx

Status
Not open for further replies.