• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Has anyone ever done Aberdeen to Penzance straight through?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Closest thing on a XC HST these days is Glasgow Central - Plymouth or Edinburgh - Newquay. Inverness/Aberdeen to King's Cross is also decent, and quite easy to get a cheap 1st class advance usually.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
That would certainly improve matters, but it doesn't stop the various rattles and squeaks, or the toilet smell.

That's what makes them fun to ride, the rattles and squeeks! I hate a silent train (except a HST ;)) Toilet smell isn't too bad either tbh but I suppose it can vary from unit to unit. I don't know why people are so against voyagers, I mean I love travelling on them and they are not as uncomfortable as people make them out to be either-I have no problem with comfort and I'm not the smallest guy around. I would maybe get up and take a walk up and down the train on a long journey but that's it.

Liam

Established Member
Closest thing on a XC HST these days is Glasgow Central - Plymouth or Edinburgh - Newquay. Inverness/Aberdeen to King's Cross is also decent, and quite easy to get a cheap 1st class advance usually.

I have seen HST's on the Aberdeen-Penzance service quite recently.

CC 72100

Established Member
I have seen HST's on the Aberdeen-Penzance service quite recently.

Not in the past 2 years at least. They only work down to Penzance on a Summer Saturday, and that is coming from York and going back up to Leeds, and the furthest they go in scotland is Dundee, where the 06:32 Dundee - Plymouth starts from and is a HST on a Friday only.

Liam

Established Member
Not in the past 2 years at least. They only work down to Penzance on a Summer Saturday, and that is coming from York and going back up to Leeds, and the furthest they go in scotland is Dundee, where the 06:32 Dundee - Plymouth starts from and is a HST on a Friday only.

I have seen HST's on the Southbound side at Kirkcaldy at 1015 on at least 2 occasions this summer. I wonder what they were doing there if not on the Aberdeen-Penzance?

CC 72100

Established Member
I have seen HST's on the Southbound side at Kirkcaldy at 1015 on at least 2 occasions this summer. I wonder what they were doing there if not on the Aberdeen-Penzance?

There's been a couple of occasions where an XC HST has worked for East Coast, normally to do something like Edinburgh - Aberdeen, but there are certainly no booked XC HST diagrams which involve Aberdeen at the moment.

(I must also confess that Scotland is not my strong point, but I know the XC HST diagrams pretty well!)

Liam

Established Member
There's been a couple of occasions where an XC HST has worked for East Coast, normally to do something like Edinburgh - Aberdeen, but there are certainly no booked XC HST diagrams which involve Aberdeen at the moment.

(I must also confess that Scotland is not my strong point, but I know the XC HST diagrams pretty well!)

Just because a Voyager is booked to do it, it doesn't mean it will never be a HST.

East Coast often use a HST in place of a 91+mk4's on London-Newcastle/Edinburgh runs.

Eagle

Established Member

East Coast don't have a service through Kirkcaldy near 10.15 though, whereas XC do (the 10.17 to Penzance).

CC 72100

Established Member
Just because a Voyager is booked to do it, it doesn't mean it will never be a HST.

East Coast don't have a service through Kirkcaldy near 10.15 though, whereas XC do (the 10.17 to Penzance).

I get both of your points, but you have to remember that with only 5 sets and a maximum of 4 diagrams per day (often less in reality) not all XC drivers sign HSTs. There is no booked HST work for XC to Aberdeen at all, and with me checking the gen most days (I still do, don't know why! :P) then if one did work to Aberdeen I'd hear about it very quickly. Also at that time of night I think one voyager that arrives (possibly the one before, not the Aberdeen - Penzance) goes back to Plymouth and overnights at Laira, and one overnights at Long Rock. If this was a HST, it would be completely displaced for the following morning.

Again, there have been no HST workings west of Plymouth over the winter (I'd see Southbound trains leave Exeter at most hours of the day past my window) and the only current one is on a Summer Saturday (which presumably finishes soon) from York back to Leeds.

The only time I can think of an XC HST up there is possibly during the Taunton floods, I don't know how much got changed as a result.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
East Coast often use a HST in place of a 91+mk4's on London-Newcastle/Edinburgh runs.

With all due respect, ECs route is a lot more straight forward than XCs.

Last edited:

Liam

Established Member
Look, I saw a XC HST on the Aberdeen-Penzance twice. I was waiting on the Northbound side on one occasion, having just missed the 1010 Perth service. The other time I was in the car waiting at the traffic lights under the railway to the South of the station, the power car is beyond the end of the platform and is visible on the bridge, I remember this because I thought 'thats odd, don't often see a HST on that service'. Not entirely sure, but it might have been Friday the 9th of August. Regardless of what your 'gen' says, they were there. 100%
You said above there has been no XC HST working North of Dundee for 2 years at least. Here is another reported from November last year.

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=75004

Established Member
Although it does happen, it is still not booked and no doubt impossible to predict, so would put off the vast majority of people unless they had deep pockets and were very flexible.

Look, I saw a XC HST on the Aberdeen-Penzance twice. I was waiting on the Northbound side on one occasion, having just missed the 1010 Perth service. The other time I was in the car waiting at the traffic lights under the railway to the South of the station, the power car is beyond the end of the platform and is visible on the bridge, I remember this because I thought 'thats odd, don't often see a HST on that service'. Not entirely sure, but it might have been Friday the 9th of August. Regardless of what your 'gen' says, they were there. 100%
You said above there has been no XC HST working North of Dundee for 2 years at least. Here is another reported from November last year.

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=75004

First of all, calm down.

There have been XC HST's North of Dundee in the last couple of years. Last November when the South West was flooded XC HST's worked Aberdeen-Penzance services that had to start/terminate at Taunton or Bristol.

Also sometimes on sundays over a period they might appear up there.

Furthest north i've had one is Arbroath on a sunday morning when there was once a decent EC HST up for XC HST back move.

Last edited:

Muzer

Established Member
I was wondering if it would be possible to do London to Aberdeen via sleeper, then Aberdeen to Penzance, then Penzance to London via sleeper, in effectively a day and two nights. Unfortunately it'd be a *VERY* tight connection at Penzance ;)

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I was wondering if it would be possible to do London to Aberdeen via sleeper, then Aberdeen to Penzance, then Penzance to London via sleeper, in effectively a day and two nights. Unfortunately it'd be a *VERY* tight connection at Penzance ;)

Indeed. I did precisely that for the first 2 legs - Euston to Aberdeen, gives about 40 minutes in Aberdeen before the Penzance departs. If everything was on time you could change from the Cross Country to the Night Riviera at St Erth, otherwise you'll pass just after that.

Established Member
Bit of a ball-ache that the Aberdeen train just about arrives into Penzance when the sleeper is departing. You'd be very lucky to get the connection, the train I was on last Saturday was at one point -10 at New Street but we made it up after that. Interestingly, it gets into Penzance a whole one minute later than the weekday service.

Muzer

Established Member
Indeed, I noticed that when looking :D

If there were a Penzance to Aberdeen (there isn't, but if there were), I wonder if it'd be doable?

I'm going for it today, window seat in 1st, well I'm on a ALR so might as well. The connection for the Sleeper is too close to risk it, 3 mins so I'll double back back to Camborne for the night. No toilet smells yet.

Looks like I might have to cut it short :(

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I'm going for it today, window seat in 1st, well I'm on a ALR so might as well. The connection for the Sleeper is too close to risk it, 3 mins so I'll double back back to Camborne for the night. No toilet smells yet.

Looks like I might have to cut it short :(

How's it going?

I see it's only 20 minutes down so can easily make that up along the way.

Requeststop

The biggest return I have done was in the mid 80's Lelant-Montrose and back via a wild diversion. Ticket bought in advance at St. Erth, and left home in Lelant to catch the service to Bristol Temple Meads at about 4:30/5:00pm to connect to the sleeper to Glasgow Central (don't ask why I chose the Glasgow route rather than Edinburgh). Crossed the city to Queens Street and took the train to Montrose arriving some time like 09:30/10:00.

Return journey back from Montrose, change at Edinburgh, and West Coast via Birmingham/Bristol/St. Erth, possibly a change at Plymouth. All goes wrong at Lancaster, wires problem and we reverse to Carnforth, Giggleswick, Clitheroe, and Preston and then back under the wires to Birmingham New Street. Train now many hours late and we are put onto another train to Bristol Temple Meads. Announcing on the train for passengers for Plymouth and westwards to identify themselves and on arrival at Bristol, we are put on a train to Reading. At Reading we are put onto the sleeper, via Bristol to Cornwall, and I arrive at St.Erth some 9 hours late to see the (08:03?) to St Ives already having left platform 3 and have to hire a taxi to get me home to Lelant.

Only that sort of organization would happen under British Rail. It would not happen today.

Maybe one day, I'll do Aberdeen-Penzance, but I think only if there is a sleeper service.

Goodnight Everyone!

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Well imagine if they did the same nowadays. The following day you will see tabloid headlines, "Clumsy and inefficient railway makes passenger travel a 160-mile detour, only to get back to where they started, as prelude to 9-hour delay hell".

You'd get put in a taxi at Bristol these days I guess.

IanD

Established Member
Well imagine if they did the same nowadays. The following day you will see tabloid headlines, "Clumsy and inefficient railway makes passenger travel a 160-mile detour, only to get back to where they started, as prelude to 9-hour delay hell".

You'd get put in a taxi at Bristol these days I guess.

That's a big headline for a tabloid! And would they use the word prelude? Far too erudite.

Well I did it, made up time. Then had to double back to St Austell for the night:)

Do feel a funny sense of achievement now.

For anyone else thinking of doing it my advice would be :-

Do it in 1st Class, for the space and reserve seats.
Avoid Fridays as it gets very busy and packed between Birmingham New Street and Taunton.
Take plenty of food and drink as the service was patchy.
Walk about a bit, I did not suffer the number backside I though I might.

And finally think twice about doing it after you get off the Sleeper.

Plus wear a desert pink camouflage rugby shirt and have a cuddly toy as your travelling companion so everyone thinks your mad and the seats around you are the last to fill:lol:

Had some good chats to people and enjoyed it but would have been better on the HST I'm now on.

1e10

I have and in 1st class. Telephone / Internet in a Voyager is lousy.

Even more reason to make use of the overly slow, over-priced XC WiFi service.

If you're raising money for charity "rough it" in standard and add the saving to the coffers, you might raise more money if people don't think you're riding in the lap of luxury.

I don't think standard is anywhere like the third world conditions that some people on this forum would have you believe - it's occasionally rammed and sometimes you can smell the toilets. If you're getting on at Aberdeen then you'll have no problem claiming your reserved seat which you can then usually stay in all the way to Penzance.

I travel in standard wherever I go, I'm a student so lowest price possible is essential. Also I'm far too noisy to be travelling in First Class. I've considered giving it a shot some weekends with the cheap upgrade prices as it can often work out cheaper to upgrade vs purchasing WiFi and food/drink from the trolley that would otherwise be free in First Class.

Make friends with the conductor/trolley person ;)

XC have some really friendly staff, I've been inclined to offer a few some of my food before and they've been grateful.

Don't see what's so difficult about it and why it seems to be considered a feat of endurance. You're sitting down for a few hours, looking out of the window at constantly changing scenery and doing whatever else you want to do during the trip. And in this case it's all for free. I should be so lucky.

People take longer flights all the time in similar conditions.

I have no problem doing long journeys on Voyagers and I'm quite tall. I take my iPad with my pretty much everywhere I go and so it's like being at home where I can easily sit for 3 hours without getting up. I'm used to sitting on hard seats at college too.

That's what makes them fun to ride, the rattles and squeeks! I hate a silent train (except a HST ;)) Toilet smell isn't too bad either tbh but I suppose it can vary from unit to unit. I don't know why people are so against voyagers, I mean I love travelling on them and they are not as uncomfortable as people make them out to be either-I have no problem with comfort and I'm not the smallest guy around. I would maybe get up and take a walk up and down the train on a long journey but that's it.

Voyagers do seem to have a funny smell to them but I wouldn't have ever put it down to the toilets without having read about the problem on here. I only notice as boarding but don't really give it much thought after that.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Just researched how much a single Aberdeen to Penzance would be, about £235 on the day and a little over £194 with splitting in several places according to Trainscanbecheaper. Won't be doing that trip unless it's on an ALR then! Shame as I liked the idea of the following as a big birthday bash:

Day 1

Hereford to Birmingham New Street
Birmingham New Street to Birmingham International
Birmingham to Aberdeen with Flybe
Train into Aberdeen, stay at a hotel near the station

Day 2

0820 Aberdeen to Penzance
Stay at a hotel near the station

Day 3

0630 Penzance to Cardiff Central (just so I can do the longest 150 service!)
Cardiff Central to Hereford

Looking at it, just the rail fares would be incredibly expensive. If I could afford it, I'd have a lot of East Coast Rewards points! :lol:

Established Member
The advances look decent enough, although you'd have to be online at the right time to get them.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Indeed, I'm never online at the right time it seems. Shall be researching them to do it either as a standalone trip in 2014 or on my First Class ALR, whenever that'll be.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Why would anyone do that trip unless on an Advance or on a Rover?

You are tied to one train anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.