• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Has anything supernatural ever happened to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Yes... This is my own sighting, albeit from nearly half a century ago!

Doubly interesting by my later coming across an identical sighting by someone else in the same room some years before my time.

The school in question, incidentally, is built on what used to be farm land owned by a monastery so it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that a barn or something existed in the exact location of the dormitory in question. That report on the database is heavily edited; what it hasn't included is that the monk appeared to be a couple of feet off the floor - which would be roughly about the height of the attic in a barn if one had existed on the site...

Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: September 1978
Further Comments: A boy at the school awoke to see a monk standing at the foot of the bed. The boy briefly looked away, and when he looked back, the monk had vanished. Thirty years later the witness came across another person who had encountered the monk in the 1960s, while in the same dormitory.

1693913578662.png

Scousemouse

yep.

Driving through Weston Super Mud, right on the corner where Asda/Waitrose is saw a Mercedes C class with its bonnet completely concertina'd in as if it had hit a wall.

Saw two young women and a kid waiting beside it. Commented on the hanging signs on the back window to him sitting next to me.

10 minutes later, having run into Waitrose for a couple of items - drove out and back around the same corner. Said car was sitting there with its bonnet 100% ok. Same signs in back window, same car. No sign of damage but same two women and kid waiting by it.

Drove back around the block to check we had not hallucinated and there it was bashed up again. And once more around the block and it was undamaged.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Yes my house is haunted, though the ghosts seem to have gone now for the last 10 years or so. I did recently find out that 3 people died in my house when the previous occupants were there...

...all natural causes i hasten to add!

Lucan

Established Member
Not me, but to Mrs Lucan.

I was returning from a business trip and due to get home at about 2100 (in winter, dark), and she was expecting me about then. From the lounge, she heard the front door being opened and someone entering, and the dog woke and got up from his armchair, without barking because he seemed to recognise it was me. But instead of coming into the lounge as expected, she said I seemed to have gone further down the passage. It was silence after that, and when she looked for me I was not in the house.

Mrs L is not particularly imaginative and does not believe in ghosts, and neither do I, but there must have been some explanation. She still believes that I did arrive earlier but then went out again for some reason. We did previously live in a house that a local told us was haunted, but never experienced anything there. Our daughter however has found both places spooky : the present house is over 100 years old, isolated and has some agricultural ruins nearby.

Ligeraceaster

Once when my uncle was putting the car away in the block of garages at the back of our houses I looked up and saw a triangular shaped craft covered in multi-coloured lights, quite low but utterly silent. I've no explanation for it.

melon68

About 1985 I was cycling with a good friend along a minor road on the outskirts of Lincoln. There were roadworks as the bypass was being constructed through a wood, so the road was not open to pedestrians, just road users. We saw what looked to be a man walking wearing an old fashioned military uniform, probably RAF walking alongside the road on the other side. We kept going and looked back after a few yards and there was no sign of anyone. There was nowhere that the man could have walked to off the road due to the roadworks. Neither of us could explain what we saw

Bantamzen

Established Member
Yep. Back in 2007 my little sister sadly passed away. At the time we lived in the same building comprised of two flats, with hers being directly above mine. A couple of weeks later me and my family had the hard job of recovering all her possessions so that the flat could be handed back to the landlord. The night after we had finished at around 1am I heard a loud, distressed wailing from upstairs in her flat, and shortly after the door closing and footsteps coming down the stairs. I summoned just enough courage to look outside my window only to see a figure that looked just like my little sister walking away down the road. Needless to say I got no more sleep that night, opting to keep BBC News 24 on loud for the rest of the night.

As far as I know only myself and her boyfriend, as well as the landlord had a key and the voice I heard was distinctly a female voice. So I pretty much ruled out anyone else being in the flat.

nw1

Established Member
Not genuinely supernatural, but a couple of things which looked odd to me at the time (but both of which have rational explanations).

When I first saw Musk's SpaceX last year I genuinely thought "wtf?", though I think my first instinct was to think it was some kind of secret satellite, or even very high-level aircraft, deployment related to the war in Ukraine.

I also saw three slow moving bright lights in a triangle some way to the east (30 or 40 miles?) from Farley Mount near Winchester in 2005. It was probably about 9 or 10pm at this time of year, on a Saturday night. Almost certainly aircraft of some kind, but their configuration was unusual.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I remember seeing hovering lights years ago (i was a kid and can't remember exactly where it was as we were returning from a holiday). The lights didn't flash so didn't seem like a plane or chopper, plus there was no noise...

Right my ghost stories. Some bloke said "Elizabeth" in my ear at home once. Unfortunately i was alone in the house at the time...

I once walked into a room, i sensed some... thing was behind me. I could not turn around. I slowly backtracked, then fled.

The landing was where the ghost seemed active. I often felt something was there. Interestingly house plants always seemed to die when put on the window cill there, despite being properly cared for. Now the ghost seems to have gone, plants thrive...

nw1

Established Member
Right my ghost stories. Some bloke said "Elizabeth" in my ear at home once. Unfortunately i was alone in the house at the time...
Could this just be random brain firing? I sometimes think I 'hear' vague voices when falling asleep or feeling sleepy, which seems to be a fairly well-established phenomenon.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Could this just be random brain firing? I sometimes think I 'hear' vague voices when falling asleep or feeling sleepy, which seems to be a fairly well-established phenomenon.
I wasn't asleep, i was standing in the living room and i was pretty awake. :)

nw1

Established Member
I wasn't asleep, i was standing in the living room and i was pretty awake. :)

Ah ok, maybe just an auditory hallucination? Sorry if I'm focusing too much on trying to find rational explanations..... ;)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I also saw three slow moving bright lights in a triangle some way to the east (30 or 40 miles?) from Farley Mount near Winchester in 2005. It was probably about 9 or 10pm at this time of year, on a Saturday night. Almost certainly aircraft of some kind, but their configuration was unusual.
I'm afraid I can debunk that one assuming the lights were on a polar trajectory; at the time there was a set of three ( American, I think ) military satellites in a relatively lows orbit - so they appeared quite bright - which orbited in the shape of an equilateral triangle. They were in a near polar orbit so would always appear to be travelling either north to south or south to north.

jmh59

Something I could never explain - many years ago now, one night I woke at about 2am with this feeling that something terrible had just happened, such a feeling of dread. But I went straight back to sleep. That morning my mum rang me to say her boyfriend had been rushed to hospital and she was with him when he died - at that same time.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Ah ok, maybe just an auditory hallucination? Sorry if I'm focusing too much on trying to find rational explanations..... ;)
No i have wondered if it was something else, but it was such a clear though unrecognisable male voice. Very odd. Luckily never repeated!

Peter C

Established Member
Well this post has the potential to open up a religious debate. Ducks with tin hat
Why would you want to put a tin hat on a duck? ;)

I must say I've not experienced anything supernatural (though I've seen plenty of super natural things on telly with Attenborough). This thread is really interesting though! It's bizarre how these things happen.

-Peter

nw1

Established Member
I'm afraid I can debunk that one assuming the lights were on a polar trajectory; at the time there was a set of three ( American, I think ) military satellites in a relatively lows orbit - so they appeared quite bright - which orbited in the shape of an equilateral triangle. They were in a near polar orbit so would always appear to be travelling either north to south or south to north.

These were not, if I remember right. The triangle faced west and didn't seem to move much, also I'd say it was too low for satellites.

But almost certainly aircraft, possibly military. I would guess it was over the West Sussex part of the South Downs, somewhere.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Something I could never explain - many years ago now, one night I woke at about 2am with this feeling that something terrible had just happened, such a feeling of dread. But I went straight back to sleep. That morning my mum rang me to say her boyfriend had been rushed to hospital and she was with him when he died - at that same time.
That is best described as some sort of premonition, or prescience. I had a couple of examples of that back when I lived in London, one turning out to be the King's Cross Underground fire. I was driving back from Wales with my wife on that Monday night and as we travelled through Earl's Court I turned to her and said ''something dreadful has just happened in London, I don't know what'' and there was nothing on the radio before we got home to Lewisham, neither did we encounter any emergency vehicles. It was an hour or two later when news started to come through. Later, I realised the time I experienced the feeling of dread was the time the first 999 calls were made. To add piquancy, the previous Monday night at that exact time I'd interchanged from the Victoria to the Northern Line there, having not been on a platform there in the previous decade.

adc82140

Established Member
2x ghosts in the house. One on the stairs, one on the second floor. The one on the stairs is a bugger for moving the pictures on their hangers.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
2x ghosts in the house. One on the stairs, one on the second floor. The one on the stairs is a bugger for moving the pictures on their hangers.
Why can't one ghost perform both functions? Have you ever heard or seen either? Serious question, I'm open minded on such matters on the basis of my own experiences, having once been a supreme sceptic.

SteveM70

Established Member
My mum has

She was a student at Wentworth Woodhouse in the mid 1960s, about 150 miles from where her family lived. She woke up at 2am one day with pains in her chest, but they went away after a few minutes. The following day she got a call from home to college telling her her grandmother had died of a heart attack at 2am.

adc82140

Established Member
Why can't one ghost perform both functions? Have you ever heard or seen either? Serious question, I'm open minded on such matters on the basis of my own experiences, having once been a supreme sceptic.
Seen them both. The one on the second floor is silent and doesn't move. The one on the stairs is more active. It's never spoken, but is prone to moving things. It's really not keen on me cleaning. I never mention them to any visitors to the house, but on one occasion a visitor came back from the bathroom and asked if I knew there was a ghost on the stairs.

I am normally a sceptic, and have spent much time trying to get pictures to move by jumping on the stairs etc, and to get the ghost to "appear" by moving lights, but to no avail. Until someone comes up with a better explanation, they are supernatural.

najaB

Veteran Member
Ghost meetings or uncanny coincidences? Sadly/luckily, I can’t think of anything like that happening to me!
Have things happened to me that I can't explain? Sure.

Has anything supernatural happened? Well no, for the same reason that I don't believe in a god or gods. Ascribing something to the supernatural not only means that you are saying it's there's no explanation for it now, it's also saying that there is no possible way that anyone will ever be able to provide a naturalistic explanation for it, and that you've given up on trying to understand it. A thousand years ago there was lots of room for gods - how and why does lightning happen? Gods did it. Why did that flood happen? Gods did it. Why did that plague happen? The gods did it. Eventually we filled each of those gaps with science and reason and the gaps where a god can live have gotten smaller and smaller.

Will we ever fill all of the gaps? Probably not. But we'll fill enough of them that, to my way of thinking at least, it's "Sorry, God, the position is no longer vacant since we've decided to go a different way."

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Various work mates have mentioned feeling very uncomfortable late evening at Harrow and Wealdstone station (when few passengers etc around) - not surprising really.

The Underground has some scary stations - well covered on various programmes etc.

On Moderation
Have things happened to me that I can't explain? Sure.

Has anything supernatural happened? Well no, for the same reason that I don't believe in a god or gods. Ascribing something to the supernatural not only means that you are saying it's there's no explanation for it now, it's also saying that there is no possible way that anyone will ever be able to provide a naturalistic explanation for it, and that you've given up on trying to understand it. A thousand years ago there was lots of room for gods - how and why does lightning happen? Gods did it. Why did that flood happen? Gods did it. Why did that plague happen? The gods did it. Eventually we filled each of those gaps with science and reason and the gaps where a god can live have gotten smaller and smaller.

Will we ever fill all of the gaps? Probably not. But we'll fill enough of them that, to my way of thinking at least, it's "Sorry, God, the position is no longer vacant since we've decided to go a different way."
Would it do any harm, just for this thread, to not jump in with the straw man scientism? I personally don't believe in ghosts, but I do believe in God, and in fact I think you can't believe in God and ghosts if you are Christian, but more to the point why not just let people in this thread, write about their perceived experiences? I'm sure many members are chomping at the bit to give rational explanations about situations they weren't faced with, but have chosen to let it slide for the sake of their supernatural-believing chums on these fora.

Status
Not open for further replies.