• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Has naming storms made our weather worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crehld

Established Member
There are a number of threads highlighting the impact of recent storms on the rail network. Indeed, the weather has been horrific of late and, if the damp starting seep through the walls on the second floor my house is anything to go by, even my house is starting to feel the effects of what seems like non-stop rain for two months.

My colleges in the natural sciences tell us such extreme weather and fluctuations are the result of "el niño" and climate change, which I have no reason to doubt whatsoever. But I also wonder if our current obsession with naming winter weather systems has altered our perception of how bad the weather is by more actively drawing our attention to it? Is our weather actually worse, or has naming every storm simply given us the impression it's worse?

Discuss.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

backontrack

Established Member
We might be naming storms because our weather is worse than it was, however.

fowler9

Established Member
Yes, without a doubt naming weather systems has made our weather worse. However our increasing reliance on making longer and longer journies to do day to day stuff does have a small impact on the situaion we find ourselves in.

ExRes

Established Member
Yes naming the storms makes them even more angry and they come back for more destruction

Absolutely, these perfectly normal and well adjusted storms have become so humiliated by their juvenile and ludicrous 'namings' that they have decided to wreak their revenge

#StopNamingStormsNow

;)

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
All these claims of bad weather are nothing new - in 1887 Emile Berliner said the weather was the worst he had seen since records began.

(What's in these Brewdog Ales I was given as a Christmas present?)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I really hope they get down to W because the headlines will be so irresistible that there is a fair chance that we will see the very rare sight of every single newspaper front page carrying the same headline.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I hope we get round to a Storm Donald hurtling to us from over the Atlantic, which will either
(a) huff and puff and blow itself out very quickly, or
(b) be apocalyptic and transform the world as we know it.
I rather favour the former: do hope I'm right!

But I also wonder if our current obsession with naming winter weather systems has altered our perception of how bad the weather is by more actively drawing our attention to it? Is our weather actually worse, or has naming every storm simply given us the impression it's worse?

Edward Bernays would be proud.

If you want to look at the data, knock yourself out! [metoffice.gov.uk]

On the one hand you have perception, and on the other you have reality.

RepTCTC

Might it be worth naming periods of pleasant weather instead? It might, you know, encourage them a bit.

#LovelyWeekendNicole

crehld

Established Member
It's almost as if BBC news has read my original question!

Do names make us think storms are worse?

Storm Imogen has battered Wales and the west and south-west of England, the latest in a line of such events across the UK over the winter. But are storms getting worse or is the new convention of naming them simply grabbing them more attention, asks Justin Parkinson.

It started last November with Abigail, continuing via Barney, Clodagh, Desmond, Eva, Frank, Gertrude and Henry.

Now Imogen, the ninth major storm of the winter, has lashed southern and western parts of Britain, with gusts of up to 96mph recorded. Huge waves have hit, particularly on the north coasts of Devon and Cornwall. Thousands of homes have lost power amid the damage caused.

It seems like large storms are becoming more frequent. But this winter is the first time the Met Office has given names to storms, so are they becoming more common or are people simply more aware of them?

"I don't think it's been particularly stormy," says a Met Office spokeswoman. "I think what's happened is that the names have given them extra profile."

That, indeed, was the whole point behind giving clear identities to storms, under a scheme jointly run by the Met Office and the Irish equivalent, Met Eireann. It follows a long-established custom in the US. "It has really promoted awareness of public safety warnings," the Met spokeswoman adds. "People are latching on to the names." They've been particularly effective at gaining attention on social media, including groups who were previously "harder to reach".

Under Met Office guidelines, a storm means wind speeds of at least 52mph (84kph) and probable maximum wave heights of up to 12.5m (41ft). A violent storm involves mean wind speeds of at least 60mph (97kph) and waves of up to 16m (52ft).
The Met Office says it won't give an analysis of the comparative storminess of this winter until it's over. But its own figures show that 147.9mm of rain fell on average across England and Wales in January. This makes it the eighth wettest January going back to 1910. The wettest in this period was 176.8mm in 1948, while the worst in recent years was 173.4mm in 2014, when flooding hit the Somerset Levels and Thames Valley.

Overall, the period from mid-December 2013 to mid-February 2014 saw at least 12 major winter storms, making it the stormiest period of UK weather for more than 20 years.

This winter hasn't been as bad but it's seen an above-average level of stormy weather patterns, says Doug Parker, a meteorology professor at Leeds University. "During some years you get into a distinct pattern of certain weather types, such as cold - or stormy, as it is now."

The convention of naming storms - usually after the event - goes back several hundred years. In the Caribbean the traditional practice was to name a storm after the saint's day on which it had occurred. So, for instance, there were two Hurricane San Felipes, on 13 September 1876 and 1928.

Clement Wragge, an Australian meteorologist, is believed to have given women's names to tropical cyclones and low pressure systems during the late 19th Century. Sometimes he used Greek letters, mythological characters and the names of politicians he disliked.

The US National Hurricane Center has been naming Atlantic tropical storms since 1953, reasoning that this made them easier to remember than using numbers or technical terms to describe them. Originally it featured only women's names, but since 1979 they have alternated with men's, applying to those in the Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico.

A Princeton University study in 2014 suggested feminine-named hurricanes caused "significantly more deaths, apparently because they lead to lower perceived risk and consequently less preparedness".

Several other countries operate similar schemes the the US for large storms, including Australia, Indonesia and Bangladesh.

The scheme jointly run by the Met Office and Met Eireann is on a pilot basis. In contrast, the Free University of Berlin has given names to European storms since 1954. Under its Adopt-a-Vortex system, individuals put their names to individual periods of turbulence. Designated names for future storms include Ulrika and Walburga.

"I wonder if the Met Office felt a sense of competition and thought we needed British names for storms hitting the country," says Parker.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35531143

Groningen

Established Member
Of course not. It is only to indicate that is more than just light rain and or wind. In the Netherlands we have now code yellow and code red since about 2010.

Rules for warning:
Snow 3 cm in 1 hour or 10 cm in 6 hours
Snow with windforce 6 or higher
Summer: wind above 100 kilometers (winter 20 extra)
Freezing rain
Lightning with 500 flashes in 5 minutes
Rain with 75 mm in 24 hours

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
No storm until Katie arrives, but XC Voyagers suffering from Dawli****is this morning and canned.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
No storm until Katie arrives, but XC Voyagers suffering from Dawli****is this morning and canned.

I find it hard to believe that the swear filter couldn't tell that was in the middle of the word!:lol:

On the subject of storms, although this new storm hasn't arrived yet it was quite blowy and very wet earlier this evening*; presumably an outlying front connected to the storm?

*London and Epsom area.

Groningen

Established Member
For tomorrow code yellow between 13 and 17 hours in the Netherlands. At the coast windforce at 100 kilometers an hour; inner country 10 less. And of course rain.

AL2706_large.gif

crehld

Established Member
I very much doubt if the prevailing conditions that lead to weather patterns is in any way affected by what human beings decide by giving names to weather conditions of any type.
I'm not suggesting they are. But I do believe that naming storms has affected our perceptions of how frequent they are, what impact they have, and how adverse our weather has become.

fowler9

Established Member
I'm not suggesting they are. But I do believe that naming storms has affected our perceptions of how frequent they are, what impact they have, and how adverse our weather has become.

I agree with you on that. Stick a name on something and keep going on about it and it will stay in the memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.