• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Has there been a fare increase over the summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Goddard

Established Member
Would be grateful if anyone on here could advise whether there has been a fare increase over the summer. I was sorting out some expenses to claim and noticed that my Travelcard from Earley to London, with Network Card discount, had increased by 60p between June and September, a 4% increase. As you can see below, both tickets are the same product.
I thought fares only changed in January, or is that just regulated ones?
upload_2017-10-9_22-16-16.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mikeg

Established Member
There are three fare setting rounds each year, one in January, one in May and one in September. Generally regulated fares go up in January as TOCs are keen to maximise the amount they can raise from ticket sales, but there's nothing to stop them from putting up fares later or staggering the increase afaik. Unregulated fares may go up in any one of these fare setting rounds. Restriction codes and fare routes may also be changed, or new (generally unregulated) fares introduced.

David Goddard

Established Member
Hi Mike
Thank you very much for this advice, all makes sense.
So having had an increase in September, is it safe to say it should not then rise again in January?
David

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Hi Mike
Thank you very much for this advice, all makes sense.
So having had an increase in September, is it safe to say it should not then rise again in January?
David

Correct.

Edit: Apologies, I misread the question - I had thought it had said "is it safe to say it should not then rise again until January?", which of course completely changes the meaning!

The 'correct' answer is "no, it is not safe to say that - the fares could increase again in January".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.