• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have your say on Haxby

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluenoxid

Established Member
Call for contributions to Haxby bid to NSF3. Many of you will be aware that it was not successful in round 1.

Potential NSF3 bid for you @Jorge Da Silva

City of York Council is asking residents and businesses to have their say on the Council’s plans for a new railway station in Haxby.

The ambition for a station at Haxby has been held for many years and as part of the Council’s corporate plan, ‘Making History, Building Communities’, the council wants to gather feedback from the local community in a bid to the Department for Transport’s New Station Fund 3, announced earlier this year.
The application from the council must be completed by 5 June 2020 and an announcement on successful bids is planned for the Autumn. Due to the short timeframe and the current level of Coronavirus lockdown, the initial consultation will be carried out online at this stage.
A new station at Haxby would increase connectivity to the semi-rural community north of York, providing faster, more efficient sustainable transport links from Haxby into York, Leeds, Manchester and beyond, as well as linking this area with Malton and Scarborough.
The council is taking the opportunity to gauge public opinion on the principle of a station at Haxby. The survey also asks for a response to a potential location – the site of the old railway station off Station Road – which is being used for bidding purposes at this stage.
The council is continuing to assess this location and other options, and will carry out the fullest possible public consultation over the design and location of the station if the bid is successful. Residents and businesses can share their views online before Tuesday 26 May 2020 at: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/HaxbyRailway

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

geoffk

Established Member
Is Haxby the only site being looked at, as Strensall was also suggested. I assume the new Northern service would call and the current York - Scarborough timing, with stops at Malton and Seamer, is around 50 minutes each way. So I guess one extra stop is the maximum if a two-hour round trip is to be maintained.

Veteran Member
Yes, Strensall was in the early proposals (pre privatisation?!) but realistically, Haxby (with Wigginton) is significantly larger, and a bid for 2 stations wouldn't be sensible.

Chris NS

Hope it gets moving this time. It's ridiculous that there's a line with plenty of spare capacity that has trains whizzing through a significant centre of population.

Belperpete

Established Member
Hope it gets moving this time. It's ridiculous that there's a line with plenty of spare capacity that has trains whizzing through a significant centre of population.
The problem is that it doesn't whizz through it, but skirts along the edge of it. The old station site in particular is well away from the centre of town. It would be better to have the station where the railway crosses the main York Road, close to the ring road. Not only would this be closer to the main housing estates, but would be an excellent location for a park and ride.

Ploughman

Established Member
The problem is that it doesn't whizz through it, but skirts along the edge of it. The old station site in particular is well away from the centre of town. It would be better to have the station where the railway crosses the main York Road, close to the ring road. Not only would this be closer to the main housing estates, but would be an excellent location for a park and ride.
The big problem with the York rd crossing is the proximity of the Level crossing to the Ring Rd.
It blocks back across the road now at peak times.
And I do know that the ring rd is blocked most of the day normally as I live 2 fields and a ditch from the Crossing and can se it from my window now.

ash39

Established Member
The bigger picture here is keeping cars out of York city centre. If there was ample parking at Haxby, I would use it if I was travelling to Leeds even though I live roughly equidistant between York & Haxby. Driving into York is difficult, and parking expensive.

Catchment area and positioning at Haxby is largely irrelevant. The small number of people that would walk to the station to use it would not be enough to justify its existence. It needs to be more of a park and ride model, and the biggest consideration has to be parking provision to ensure everyone who wants to use it can do.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
That's a shame - I misread the title and thought for one minute that Haxey on the Doncaster-Gainsborough line might be getting its station back!

greyman42

Established Member
I don't think it would get that much use due it's location and the competition from the decent local bus service.

ash39

Established Member
I don't think it would get that much use due it's location and the competition from the decent local bus service.

You could get rid of half the stations on the network using that logic.

What about people who want to travel further than York? What about people in north York who want to go to the coast in summer but don't want to sit in traffic on the A64, or drive into York to catch a train back the other way.

It's not about competing with the bus into town.

greyman42

Established Member
What about people who want to travel further than York? What about people in north York who want to go to the coast in summer but don't want to sit in traffic on the A64, or drive into York to catch a train back the other way.
Would the numbers justify the investment?

ash39

Established Member

That's a question for someone better qualified and informed than me, but anything that takes cars off the road and makes public transport more accessible has to be a good thing?

Almost everyone I know living in York uses the train to get to London (quicker, less stressful) and Manchester Airport (cheaper than parking). At the moment they either park at the station, get dropped off by family or use taxis to get to York station. That's loads of journeys that could be taken off the roads if there was a station at Haxby with decent parking.

Perhaps the question should be why are new stations so expensive. Baffles me how a bit of concrete and tarmac can cost tens of millions.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
The game changer here is probably the Northern service. I seem to recall the last bid was based on having to undertake sufficient line speed improvement works to enable to timings of the TPE service to be the same at York and Malton.

The Northern service diagrams based on the unadvertised services currently uploaded generally have 17 minutes at the York end and 10 minutes at the Scarborough end.

Taking away these line speed improvements from the bid cost ought to improve the BCR.

greyman42

Established Member
Why so negative? The York - Beverley line should be re-instated also. Joining the Scarborough line east of a new Haxby station. Taking pressure off the A1079.
Sounds great, but I think we have to be pragmatic about these projects.

It's a no brainer. Journey time would be around six minutes - just a little quicker (x5) than the tortuous bus journey. Even Stamford Bridge was 12 minutes from York station a journey inconceivable in that time now.
I spoke with both MPs about it and they were very keen.
York City Council need to go for it big time if they are serious about public transport in York. Other councils would have made it happen.

greyman42

Established Member
It's a no brainer. Journey time would be around six minutes - just a little quicker (x5) than the tortuous bus journey.
That would be station to station. Travel time from the main hub of Haxby to the centre of York, which would involve getting to and from the stations would be a fair bit longer. The bus would win for frequency as well.

TPlanner93

Bid went in 5th June, initial modelling and catchment analysis suggest a reasonable demand forecast.

No major engineering constraints, timetabling still to be confirmed but will hopefully be 2tph.

SargeNpton

Established Member
A station at Haxby has been mentioned several times since at least 2008. Always been about a park & ride with rail used as the leg to/from the city centre to ease road congestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.