• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Headcodes

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyHA

Hi can anybody point me in the direction of a ''site'' on line where I may be able to obtain listings etc of Current Head Codes . I am interested in mainly
Virgin West Coast , First Great Western and Natl. Expess East Coast and East Anglia
Thanks in Advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
NRES does platform numbers, but I'm not sure how they decide to display them, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, and sometimes only for one station!

Z12XE

Essex and East Anglia headcode list attached

Attachments

• headcodes.pdf
    258 KB · Views: 139

Frontera2

NRES does platform numbers, but I'm not sure how they decide to display them, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, and sometimes only for one station!

They only show platform numbers where they get them from the TOC. Eg for those stations where they have a direct feed from the respective TOC CIS.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They only show platform numbers where they get them from the TOC. Eg for those stations where they have a direct feed from the respective TOC CIS.
That is the case for stations on the Live Departure Boards, but I have seen trains with platforms on the LDBs but not on NREKB.

I've been using this URL to get the headcodes of the 'InterCity' services (NXEC-RIP, XC, EM, VT, HT, GCR & FGW), and I've found a couple of errors, such as...
1) Some Paddington - Cardiff services (in both directions) are missing, though the Network Rail site shows them as there, and...
2) There are NO train services shown going to/from Corby. Corby Bus Station shows up as an option, but not the rail station.

Anyone else noticed any other errors?

MCR247

Established Member
well it is for the NE so maybe corby & cardiff arent really their priorities :lol:

thefab444

Established Member
1) Some Paddington - Cardiff services (in both directions) are missing, though the Network Rail site shows them as there, and...

Is this on weekdays or weekends... the Paddington - Cardiff services do not run on weekends, but if it's weekdays you're on about, then that's rather a mystery!

First class

Established Member
Out of interest, what is it you want the head-codes for?

I mean, what good are they really? Other than for TOC control centres/signallers they're not much good to you.

If anybody wants a passenger head code lookup, I will get it for you, providing you PM your request as follows:

Date
Time of Departure (as 24hour clock 03:10, 18:39 etc)
Station of Departure (can be a CRS/NLC code)
Where the train goes to.
Operator (if known)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive got a Question that I hope you can help me answer.

How do I find out headcodes of trains from years back ?

Would love to know what the headcodes were for the Sheffield Victoria - Man Picc passgenger services from 1969 upto 5-01-70

43034 The Black Horse

Established Member
Ive got a Question that I hope you can help me answer.

How do I find out headcodes of trains from years back ?

Would love to know what the headcodes were for the Sheffield Victoria - Man Picc passgenger services from 1969 upto 5-01-70

Get a Working TT that covers that route from those eras.

Crossforth

Established Member
How do we find out headcodes for freight workings? :???:

Brilliant thing with Traveline though. :D

Helvellyn

Established Member
When you say headcodes, do you mean "Route Codes" or Running/Reporting Numbers?

I think they are talking of Reporting Numbers. Route codes seem to be largely an ex Southern Region thing. Always surprised how many Drivers/Guards still manually display them on the Desiro external PIS displays. Of course the 455 units still have them on the "via" blinds, and many Drivers get those spot on from their Schedule cards too.

The attached link shows the SW Division route codes from 1961 and 1981. Many of these are still displayed on SWT Schedule Cards to show the train, e.g. 10 still identifies a Waterloo-Woking stopping service, though the headcode would be 2Fxx.

SWT Driver

Really P them off and use the Martini headcode - White Blanks.

Yes folks, anytime any place, any where.. It's the right one, It's the White one, it's Martini!

[Exits stage right!] :lol:

I think they are talking of Reporting Numbers. Route codes seem to be largely an ex Southern Region thing. Always surprised how many Drivers/Guards still manually display them on the Desiro external PIS displays. Of course the 455 units still have them on the "via" blinds, and many Drivers get those spot on from their Schedule cards too.

The attached link shows the SW Division route codes from 1961 and 1981. Many of these are still displayed on SWT Schedule Cards to show the train, e.g. 10 still identifies a Waterloo-Woking stopping service, though the headcode would be 2Fxx.

I think there is still a lot of sentiment back to the slammers which were obviously only recently withdrawn compared to the railway history of things. I think as those that remember slammers pass on to new TOCs/roles/get sacked, then that will disappear.

I do get slightly sentimental myself as I see the "51 Alton"'s fly by the window!

SWT Driver

I still alter the external PIS displays to show the right headcode & occasionally put it on the side panels too.

Eg: 51 London Waterloo, 28 Ascot via Camberley.

SWT Driver

Not Guilty M'lud.

The only thing I plead guilty to is insanity...

picture.php

Status
Not open for further replies.