• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hearing standard same for Driver and Guard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WombleGuard

Hello all,

As stated above. Is the medical standard for hearing the same for guards as it is for driver?

Cheers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mechanic2

Does anybody know the actual standard for the hearing test?
I did a medical once and was told I had a slight impairment in ine ear.

Was wondering whether it was a blanket approach across all TOC's or an individual basis?

Haru

I have trouble in my left ear, I was told in my medical that the standard for driver is lower than for a guard.

Haru

That was what the doctor told me when she tested my hearing, still passed so didn’t ask any further.

ThePeakNed

No chance, pretty sure it's the same standard test for everyone
Hmmm I'd contest that. The test is the same but I suspect the standard is actually slightly different.

When I had my medical for depot driver a few years back, the HCA doing it was ready to fail me on my hearing, citing my left ear was below standard for guard.

This was before she realised my medical was for a driving grade, then said it was ok.

And before she realised the wire for the left ear wasn't connected to the equipment correctly...

ComUtoR

Established Member
Drivers are now allowed to have Hearing aids. They never used to be. Not sure about Guards.

Status
Not open for further replies.