• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heart of Wales Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashworth

Established Member
At the end of this month I am planning using a 7 Day Heart of England Rover and basing myself in Crewe for 6 nights. Very good value at £73.90 with a Senior Railcard.
I will use it to travel out to Crewe from Nottingham on the Sunday and return on the Saturday. Both times by a route to avoid the Derby blockade buses. That leaves me with 5 other days for trips out mainly in the west of the area especially making lots of use of the line from Crewe down to Hereford which I am very unfamiliar with, and usually has quite high prices.

I notice that Day Returns from Craven Arms to destinations on the Heart of Wales Line are very reasonably priced and so will probably do that one day. I don’t want to travel right through to Swansea or even Llanelli, as I’d like to stop before returning at somewhere reasonable, where I would have at least 2 hours to stretch my legs and get something to eat. Where would be a good place to travel to before returning which would allow me to see most of the best scenery on the line? Currently I’m looking at perhaps going as far as Ammanford but wondered if anyone had any better ideas.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

basfordlad

Not sure I would want to be in ammanford for two hours...

How about Llandrindod wells? Plenty of options for lunch and to look round as well

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Not sure I would want to be in ammanford for two hours...

How about Llandrindod wells? Plenty of options for lunch and to look round as well

Being from Ammanford , I can only say it is not a resort like Llandod , but it has a reasonable range of pubs and eating places , shops etc. A little bit of a walk from the station to the center - allow a good 15 mins each way , decent enough park - next but one stop down at Pontardulais might be an option , where the station is pretty much in the centre. Nothing at Pantyffynon.

Alternatively , Llandeilo is a gem of a place with much character and some excellent places to while away some time.

gord

I'd say Llandeilo. Had a mini break there last Autumn. Delightful little town with a lengthy but beautiful walk up to the local castle. Even though we did it in the height of storm Brian. Was quite an experience!

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I should have said Llandeilo first - in fact you can get off at Ffairfach and walk back to Llandeilo - over the superb 1819 bridge and get the train back from there - there is a fine pub right by the latter station called the Torbay Arms (!) , a good day out.

ashworth

Established Member
Thanks for all those suggestions. I think Llandeilo will be the place to aim for and I get over 2 hours there. The reason I originally thought of Ammanford was to do maximum distance possible on the line whilst still getting a reasonable break before returning. I didn’t want to miss any of the really good scenery but looking at a map I don’t think I will miss too much by not travelling south of Llandeilo.

When I have a week using a regional railrover I’m not particularly interested in travelling all day to get maximum mileage but like to have a wander around interesting towns and villages. Sometimes no more than a couple of hours at each place before moving on is quite sufficient in smaller places. During my other days I’m hoping to visit Church Stretton, Ludlow, Leominster and Hereford. Also further afield perhaps to Ledbury, Great Malvern and places such as Evesham down the Cotswold line towards Oxford. I may also visit Cheltenham and Gloucester. I won’t bother with Chester and Shrewsbury as I already know them quite well.

I’m staying at he Best Western Crewe Arms and so I won’t have far to walk to the station.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I’m staying at he Best Western Crewe Arms and so I won’t have far to walk to the station.

The hotel with an en-suite railway station :lol:

(When I stayed a few months ago, it took me longer to get from the front door of the hotel to my room than it did from the train to the front door of the hotel, due to a maze like interior)

ashworth

Established Member
The hotel with an en-suite railway station :lol:

(When I stayed a few months ago, it took me longer to get from the front door of the hotel to my room than it did from the train to the front door of the hotel, due to a maze like interior)

I had a very good 5 night stay in Caernarfon earlier this year using an Explore North Wales Pass. I stayed at the Crewe Arms for one night on my way over to Caernarfon mainly just to check it out for this coming trip. I’d heard good and bad and wanted to be sure I would be ok there for a 6 night stay. They gave me a very nice room although I do have a Best Western Loyalty Card and they are supposed to give you the best room available if you have stayed with Best Western 10 nights over the previously year. It will be just my luck to get a dreadful room for 6 night stay now.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I would imagine if you end up in one of the rooms which overlook the tracks/station it will be noisy (unless the windows have triple glazing), so fingers crossed you get a room at the other end of the hotel

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I had a very good 5 night stay in Caernarfon earlier this year using an Explore North Wales Pass. I stayed at the Crewe Arms for one night on my way over to Caernarfon mainly just to check it out for this coming trip. I’d heard good and bad and wanted to be sure I would be ok there for a 6 night stay. They gave me a very nice room although I do have a Best Western Loyalty Card and they are supposed to give you the best room available if you have stayed with Best Western 10 nights over the previously year. It will be just my luck to get a dreadful room for 6 night stay now.

I stayed in the Crewe Arms one night (again heading for an early meeting down the NW Coast - circa 2003) - so bad I refused to pay and they did not balk. I hope it has improved. Yes - do stay away from the railway side for peace and quiet.

Llandeilo will not let you know ,I am sure - enjoy the ride south of LLD through the Sugarloaf....

Status
Not open for further replies.