• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heath High Level

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClackityClack

Does anyone know what has happened to Heath High Level please? TFW are saying on twitter a problem with the platform.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
Does anyone know what has happened to Heath High Level please? TFW are saying on twitter a problem with the platform.
I was told when I asked on Facebook last night that the steps down to the street have been condemned

Northbound platform is reached by ramps so is open but the southbound is reached by steps

Western 52

Those steps are ancient, and prevent disabled access to that platform. Presumably if they have to replace them, disabled access would have to be designed into the scheme? I remember when the station still had staff, a barrow crossing at the north end could be used, but that's long gone.

It will be interesting to see how access can be improved given the location on an embankment!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Those steps are ancient, and prevent disabled access to that platform. Presumably if they have to replace them, disabled access would have to be designed into the scheme? I remember when the station still had staff, a barrow crossing at the north end could be used, but that's long gone.

It will be interesting to see how access can be improved given the location on an embankment!
If something is being replaced like-for-like then Network Rail aren't obliged to provide disabled access. Examples of this are at Brigg, which in 2016 had its footbridge between the two platforms condemned but was replaced with a modern footbridge which, like the original, only had steps. Also at Lawrence Hill station, which a few years prior had the stairs to the Bristol-bound platform replaced with another set of stairs.

Signal_Box

|Correct. Both Heath stations are owned by the Welsh Government as part of the CVL transfer of ownership. Quite what that means in this case, I have no idea!
The problem, cost to make compliant moves from one government funded organisation to another, either way the taxpayer pays.

positron

Heath High Level is getting lifts (at least on south bound side) as part of the Metro. So it's possible that they'll try and bodge the steps to get it reopened but get on with the lift work sooner rather than later.

Having said that the northbound platform ramp is far too steep to be accessible too so potentially they'll wait and do the accessibility work fully.

https://x.com/nationalrailenq/status/1711205662816931967?s=20 if this is to be believed it's back open so must have bodged it. But this account seemed to have flip flopped between it being fixed and not a few times so idk whether to trust it.

Last edited:

Western 52

Tfw journey check no longer says the platform is closed and RTT appears to show trains stopping on the down platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.