• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heathrow Strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

parkender102

From the BBC Website

Article at https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65831998

"Around 2,000 officers who are members of the Unite union will walk out for 31 days between 24 June and 27 August.
The action will affect Terminals 3 and 5 as well as campus security, and could lead to queues at security"

There was me thinking our trip to Canada and Alaska at the end of July was going to be affected by Rail Strikes (it might still) but it's now also affected by a strike at the Airport!

The saving grace for me is I'm travelling with Carry On Baggage only (the wife will have a Checked In Hold Bag) although we will both be affected by the Baggage / Security Checks when we pass through Security. We are also flying out of Terminal 2 which according to the above is not affected but I expect more time through Security. I know when it happened last time there wasn't much affect at all - but this time it's peak season.

Any advice from frequent Heathrow Users?

I actually live near Chester but have a hate of Manchester Airport. My youngest Daughter works on a US based Cruise Ship Line and the last couple of trips from Manchester with a transfer have been a catastrophe with delayed flights and cancelled flights. One journey she ended up taking 36 Hours to get to Mexico and then the next trip they missed the connection at Heathrow and had to be put up in a Heathrow Hotel and flown out to LA the next day. There are no direct flights to Vancouver from Manchester so we decided we'd take the train down to London the day before and meet my eldest daughter in London for a bite to eat, stay over and fly the next day to Vancouver from Heathrow. Just happens our flight 29 July is one of the strike days. It's possible we could rearrange the flight for a bit earlier on one of the non strike days - 25/26/27 are non strike days.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

joncombe

I used terminal 5 on a day of the strike previously in May. The advice from BA was not to go through security until 2 hours before the flight and no earlier. It didn't seem to take any longer to get through than usual. Maybe I was lucky, Don know.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Just give them the sack!

Care to say why?

In my opinion a 10% rise is pretty good, so I'd have to say its odd to reject it. But it really is an escalation right around school holdays. Seems like brinkmanship for a couple of extra %

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The last two rounds of strikes actually saw a better level of service than usual (unless you wanted to use the First Wing security which had sporadic opening hours), with staff from a company called Icts covering. In all instances I experienced, and it was widely reported elsewhere, shorter queues and more friendly staff than usual.

This time round it will be a little different as T3 security also on strike, so the opportunity for redeploying staff will be more limited, but I would not expect much disruption.

parkender102

The last two rounds of strikes actually saw a better level of service than usual (unless you wanted to use the First Wing security which had sporadic opening hours), with staff from a company called Icts covering. In all instances I experienced, and it was widely reported elsewhere, shorter queues and more friendly staff than usual.

This time round it will be a little different as T3 security also on strike, so the opportunity for redeploying staff will be more limited, but I would not expect much disruption.
Excellent news - hope it's the same this time - I'll only be travelling with Carry On Baggage and the wife with a Checked Bag in the Hold. What task were First Wing Security carrying out?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Excellent news - hope it's the same this time - I'll only be travelling with Carry On Baggage and the wife with a Checked Bag in the Hold. What task were First Wing Security carrying out?
Nothing; the First Wing security was just closed completely (you could still use the check in desks there). Toward the end of the first strike they did start opening it but it had sporadic opening hours.

The strikes have now been called off. The union membership have voted to accept HAL’s offer which was a 10% rise for basic pay and allowances backdated to January. An additional 1.5% from October, and then next year’s payrise to be either inflation (doesn’t say RPI or CPI) or 4% whichever is the highest. There will also be other changes in conditions for staff.

Last edited:

parkender102

That's good news for all. On a personal note it's less to worry about on our trip next month. I'm glad its been resolved with acceptance by all parties - if only the Rail lot can come to a similar agreement. I'm sure they are all tired of all these shenanigans now - I know the travelling public are.

Status
Not open for further replies.