• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Heavy Rail" Tramways Still In Situ

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Is the Weymouth tramway (which will probably never see any trains run over it again) the only example left in the UK of a "heavy rail" tramway that's still in situ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

snowball

Established Member
I assume the Welsh Highland Railway at Porthmadog doesn't count as heavy?

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
I assume the Welsh Highland Railway at Porthmadog doesn't count as heavy?

Looking at that location I couldn't really call it a tramway, it's more like a normal railway line crossing the road at level crossings

Is there still some at Trafford Park?

yes, looks like bits of still exist, it looks like it might not have been too long ago that bits were lifted. Google Streetview images from 2015 show old level crossing lights

Does the length of track in Kings Cross goods yard count?

What's the Google Earth coordinates for the that?

snowball

Established Member

snowball

Established Member
I've just been looking at Trafford Park on Google and failed to see any lines which run along a road in the carriageway. There's one place where a quite modern-looking (but disused) line cuts across a roundabout, but if I remember correctly the Metrolink Trafford Park extension will require removal of that line and will cut across the same roundabout in a different direction.

And now I've mentioned Metrolink, there's this in Oldham - never been heavy rail so off topic for the thread, but still amusing:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.5...4!1ss8JLL2PYm93rSMHRD3CjLA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Last edited:

Dr_Paul

Established Member
There are still fairly lengthy bits of dockside track at the Royal Docks in East London that can be seen on aerial shots, and -- when I last went that way -- some tracks across the road leading to the Woolwich Ferry. Some years back I saw a lone remnant of the line from New Cross Gate to the Surrey Docks, a level crossing on Cold Blow Lane; and some odd fragments of track in cobble-stones of the ground-level part of Spitalfields goods station off Vallance Road. These may have been redeveloped out of existence since then.

I don't know if these count. There's still some yards of tram-rail for a crane on the wharf outside Watney's brewery in Mortlake, although site will soon be redeveloped. And a few years back I was delivering some things to a warehouse in Ryland Road, next to Kentish Town West station, and noticed in its entrance alley some tram-rail and a turnplate.

randyrippley

Established Member
there are still some short sections embedded in the road alongside the docks at Liverpool. Whats inside the docks appears to have gone - these are just where they crossed the dock road

route101

Established Member
I've just been looking at Trafford Park on Google and failed to see any lines which run along a road in the carriageway. There's one place where a quite modern-looking (but disused) line cuts across a roundabout, but if I remember correctly the Metrolink Trafford Park extension will require removal of that line and will cut across the same roundabout in a different direction.

And now I've mentioned Metrolink, there's this in Oldham - never been heavy rail so off topic for the thread, but still amusing:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.5...4!1ss8JLL2PYm93rSMHRD3CjLA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Where did that go ? Was it a temporary terminus?

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
Has all the quayside stuff at Ipswich been lifted now? Think some is still in place (possibly still used, although not the stuff around Neptune Quay, obvs).

https://goo.gl/maps/1v5D7zZgYp82
https://goo.gl/maps/YyfTUrSQZUR2
https://goo.gl/maps/NqUmYAJD4j82

The bit at the New Cut was still in use up to two years ago. The rails outside DanceEast are still in situ. However, the rails at Neptune Quay were obliterated about 4 to 5 years ago.

In Lowestoft, part of the connection between the docks and the station still exists alongside the station, and I believe there's still a section within the docks itself. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4736965,1.7522244,108a,35y,177.95h/data=!3m1!1e3

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Not UK either, but look at this!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOvrpbCm3z0 Austrian loco, but in Croatia.
(Still happening when I was there last year!)

Still happening when we were there three weeks ago!
Mrs C took these photos out of the van window while I was driving through Rijeka on the same stretch of street running line that goes to the container port that your clip was from.
Not an Austrian loco this time though but a local shunter type thing. :D

Attachments

• IMG_3230.jpg
    IMG_3230.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3229.jpg
    IMG_3229.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 59

John Webb

Established Member

snowball

Established Member
Where did that go ? Was it a temporary terminus?

Not a temporary terminus, but a temporary through route!

The original heavy rail route (the Oldham loop, Manchester to Rochdale via Oldham) bypassed Oldham town centre to the south, for gradient reasons.

The concept of the Oldham/Rochdale Metrolink line was that it would take over the heavy rail line and mostly follow the same route but with a deviation to go through the town centre, partly on-street.

There was a struggle for many years to get funding and when finally approved (known as Phase 3a) there was not enough for the town centre deviation so an interim solution was adopted in which the Metrolink line followed the old rail route (but crossing the road on the level at the site of the picture, replacing the previous embankment and bridge).

The line that stops at the kerbs is the remains of that interim route. The permanent route (part of "phase 3b") can be seen above it.

As luck would have it, the funding for phase 3b came unexpectedly soon after that for phase 3a, so the interim route didn't last very long. It opened partially in June 2012 and fully (so far as the Oldham area is concerned) in December 2012, and was superseded in January 2014. If I remember correctly there was a time whe both routes were under construction simultaneously.

AndrewE

Established Member
""Heavy Rail" Tramways Still In Situ"
I think there are far more than we realise, it's just that they have been covered with tarmac.

I couldn't count the number of times I've seen them revealed when holes are dug in roads in cities all round the country

Status
Not open for further replies.