• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Helensburgh Routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

apestyler

Hi,

Can anyone advise me of what routes Helensburgh drivers are expected to sign?

Kind regards,
Sam

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

apestyler

Thanks First ScotRail - I'm guessing that includes routes through to Hamilton/Larkhall (or is that covered by Motherwell Depot?).

Just got a rejection e-mail off FSR so gonna have to wait another 6 months to see if any similar positions are available :(

helltell

Thanks First ScotRail - I'm guessing that includes routes through to Hamilton/Larkhall (or is that covered by Motherwell Depot?).

Just got a rejection e-mail off FSR so gonna have to wait another 6 months to see if any similar positions are available :(

I checked the online status and i have 'Unsuccessful - shortlisting' Is this what you have aswell? Though i have not received any sort of email from FSR yet. I applied on the 11th. I think i may have wrote wrong on thew questionnaire.

Does anyone know if having to wait 6 months is just for driver jobs or does that exclude all FSR posts?

jonnorail

Hi all. I only just noticed this post. Helensburgh Central based drivers covering the following routes and areas:

* Helensburgh - Drumgelloch
* Dalmuir - Springburn
* Balloch - Airdrie / Springburn
* Milngavie - High Street
* E.C.S. movement from above destinations to Yoker C.S.

about two years or so ago the drivers based at Helensburgh Central covered E.C.S. workings from Helensburgh Central / Yoker - Shields T.M.D. via Glasgow Central Low Level and Rutherglen though that working got taken off the Helensburgh Central based drivers' route card.

Also. The 6 month wait (if applied for a job with F.S.R.) got lifted not that long ago but the rule has now been brought back in as too many current employees are trying to promote themself. Basically F.S.R. want to give everyone a chance including the new starts (though if the new starts want to be promoted they need to wait 6 months before they can apply for another job vacancy within the company) and they want to find current employees who can pass entry test for the first time without having to retake the entry tests and whatnot. I hope this helps

Best Regards

Jonathan McGurk

helltell

Ah k, shame that. I would rather get into the company on a lower level job first, but i've never seen any advertised on the site.

I take it they screen the questionnaires first? Dunno what i could have went wrong on that one. My CV seemed fine to me. Think if i emailed i could find out why i was rejected?

apestyler

I unfortunately cannot afford to go in at a lower level, it would be hard enough being on the trainee wage. Maybe once the wife gets a better job I could consider it.

Thanks for all the information posted though, very helpful. I've e-mailed HR for feedback as I met all the requirements and had a kind friend who deals with job applications as part of her job help me with it. I live in Paisley could it be that I'm too far away (just over 20 miles?!).

@helltell I'll let you know if they get back to me and yes I also got 'Unsuccessful - Shortlisting' on the application status

djw1981

Established Member
If you have your own transport, then distance may not be such a big issue, as long as the Erskine Bridge is open. If not then the divert via Clyde Tunnel could make you late....

apestyler

Finally got a response from them - Seems like they're looking for some certain keywords to aid them in their selection process;

Dear Sam

Thank you for your recent application for a role with First.

For each of the roles we have available, a selection criteria has been
created which reflect the specific skills that are required to fulfil it.
The questions you will have answered as part of your application have been
focussed specifically around the role available and a score allocated based
on the information you've provided. Given that we receive a substantial
number of applications for many of our roles, we have in this case applied
a pass criteria to assist us in the short listing process and on this basis
your application has not been successful this time.

The criteria for each role will be different, so whilst you have not been
successful for this role this time, you still have opportunity to show your
interest in any of the other roles we have available. Please note that as
you have been unsuccessful at application stage, we will not be able to
give you specific feedback on which questions did not meet our criteria -
this is to ensure fairness to all candidates.

Please note that there is no time limit for reapplying for another
position.

May we take this opportunity to wish you well in your future career.

Anne Barnicle
The FirstGroup Recruitment Team

apestyler

Yeah I remember last time I applied it was done through an external agency (this was later 2007), I got through the application stage but failed the telephone interview (They wouldn't give me feedback again there either!). As you commented First Scorail it seems to be all centralised at the very least for the application stage.

scotraildriver

Established Member
The keyword is "safety" Mention it in every sentence and you're in! Worked for me anyway.

david140288

Hey i was just reading this forum and just wanted to ask about the test to become a driver ive been accepted to take my test in august in glasgow and just wondering if anyone has any experience of it? im studing a couple of books about mechanical reasoning and doing the practice tests given. and does anyone know if its a pass mark in the tests or is it a simple pass/fail to get to the interview stage?

thanks!

driver9000

Established Member
There isnt a set pass mark for the psycometric tests (if there is its best kept secret on the railway!!) When I attended the tests at Crewe we were told that the aim wasnt to finish each section but to see how far you get quickly and accurately - accuracy is the key and try not to get yourself flustered! Keep doing the practice papers you have been sent but the actual tests might not be quite the same.

The day I attended started with 8 and we lost 2 after the first section. The way it was done at Crewe was we did mechanical reasoning and logic before a break, the administrator came in and started taking people out one at a time and we never saw them again! They came back congratulated us on passing stage one and thats how the day continued! At the end of the day 3 of us made it to the end with a pass.

Good luck with your day at the test, get plenty of sleep the night before, eat a good breakfast and dont worry about it keep calm and concentrate on the task at hand dont worry if it looks like the others are working faster (they might be making mistakes)

ianthescot

Hey i was just reading this forum and just wanted to ask about the test to become a driver ive been accepted to take my test in august in glasgow and just wondering if anyone has any experience of it? im studing a couple of books about mechanical reasoning and doing the practice tests given. and does anyone know if its a pass mark in the tests or is it a simple pass/fail to get to the interview stage?

thanks!
When I did my FSR test last year, there were around 30 of us in a room and we did the assessments together and were phoned later that day to tell us whether we had passed or failed. While doing my training at the school, all the tests we saw being performed were to much lower numbers so they may be a bit more strict at the application stage.

After being told I had passed, I was given a date for a Driver Team Manager interview (2 DTMs). After passing that I then got another date for my reaction test and formal interview (HR person). I was told at the time that I had passed and was then immediately sent for a medical (they do tell you that you may be sent for a medical so it gives you a heads up not to drink the night before :roll: ). The doctor can tell you right away whether there were any issues with the medical (other then the urine test) so it gives you an idea where you are.

All the best with the tests etc and let us know how you get on!

Last edited:

david140288

When I did my FSR test last year, there were around 30 of us in a room and we did the assessments together and were phoned later that day to tell us whether we had passed or failed. While doing my training at the school, all the tests we saw being performed were to much lower numbers so they may be a bit more strict at the application stage.

After being told I had passed, I was given a date for a Driver Team Manager interview (2 DTMs). After passing that I then got another date for my reaction test and formal interview (HR person). I was told at the time that I had passed and was then immediately sent for a medical (they do tell you that you may be sent for a medical so it gives you a heads up not to drink the night before :roll: ). The doctor can tell you right away whether there were any issues with the medical (other then the urine test) so it gives you an idea where you are.

All the best with the tests etc and let us know how you get on!

Hey, thanks for ur advice the practice papers i have been sent say that we'l do 4 tests then i take it that if i pass them il do an structured interveiw. which is different from an other type of interview as u have to describe a sitution etc. i think itl be tests in the morning then interveiws in afternoon. then maybe the driver managers another day? by the way im only 21 and the youngest driver is 24 and its a lassie! so im thinking maybe they dont let folk in my age?

thanks

driver9000

Established Member
Never say never David! I know trainee drivers aged 21, - I was 22 when I was in training.

Status
Not open for further replies.