• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

'Hellfire' game problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldrailman

Hi all, This is written in desperation, lol! Have just downloaded 'Hellfire' after a struggle (and loss of a few grey cells, lol!). I can open the Help files no prob, but when I click on the 'loco' icon to start the game I get the startup screen then an error box which reads 'runtime error 53 file not found'. Any suggestions/fixes most gratefully accepted. The game looks brill, if only I could start playing! :cry:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

40fan

I had the same problem

Mike suggested trying this:

Try running the Error 76 fix utility from the website. This resets the data files location so you will be prompted for it again when you next start Hellfire.

When you get the prompt for the data files location, navigate to C:\Program Files\Hellfire

Hope it works for you.

oldrailman

Hi 40fan, and a big 'thank you' for your reply. Your suggestion seems to have got rid of the error screen and I can now get into the game. My last hope was to put the query on here as I have been trying different fixes for ages and had emailed Mike but I guess he must get snowed under. The game looks brilliant! Just got to figure out how to play. I presume I can play as a single player as I live alone and enjoy sims like this. There is a forum on the Hellfire site which seems to be an excellent source of hints.
Another query - On the loco needs list I selected every loco. I know I won't get them all in a week, but presumably when I register for the full version I can plod on for months til I clear everything (I like a challenge, lol!).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hi all, just in case anyone is in the throes of posting a solution to my 'Hellfire' download problem, just to let you know I've finally sorted it after useful pointers from various directions and the game is awesome! As an 'oldie' I heartily recommend it, but will have to get the full version as without a ticket I've been thrown off trains three times this afternoon, lol! :lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hi all, further to my prob with 'Hellfire'. I have definitely sorted the download snags out and have been happily playing the basic version. Yesterday I went on the site and clicked the Paypal button to try and buy the registered version. All I got was an error page on the Paypal site. I have posted a cheque off to Mike's address given on the game screen, so hopefully he will post or email me the key to open the full game. Just wondered if anyone else had been trying to register. I had also sent him a couple of emails to sign up to the Hellfire forum a few days ago, but so far nothing back. Just wondered if anyone else has tried to register, or perhaps knows if there is a problem. Having tasted the game, I would love to get my hands on the full version as I'm itching to do some bashing!

Last edited:

40fan

I had my copy of Hellfire on a CD. Mike can be slow sometimes, maybe he is on holiday.

The one thing that I do not like about Hellfire is that every time the PC is re-done, I need to ask for a new registration number to get the game to work.

oldrailman

Thanks for that mate. I've sent a cheque to his address as shown on the game startup screen cos when I clicked the paypal button on the Hellfire site Paypal's screen showed an error screen. My impatient streak I think, but now I've tasted the game after the struggle loading it, I want to get really into it. I'll give it a few days, see what happens.:roll: :lol:

If it's the Stranraer address, then you may have a long wait. Paypal does work, but it did take me a few weeks.
And yes, it's addictive<D
It's the only railway game I play. On week 45, have cleared my 45s, 46s, 50s,55s and all the 81s to 87s:D
Down to 45x25, 5x26, 2x27, 8x31, 4x33, 96x37, 1x40, 8x47 including 901. I've only had 3 56s so far, none at Canton.
Cann't remember the 20 count, but only need 3 from Toton.
PM if you need advice, but most of the gen is on the forum.

oldrailman

If it's the Stranraer address, then you may have a long wait. Paypal does work, but it did take me a few weeks.
And yes, it's addictive<D
It's the only railway game I play. On week 45, have cleared my 45s, 46s, 50s,55s and all the 81s to 87s:D
Down to 45x25, 5x26, 2x27, 8x31, 4x33, 96x37, 1x40, 8x47 including 901. I've only had 3 56s so far, none at Canton.
Cann't remember the 20 count, but only need 3 from Toton.
PM if you need advice, but most of the gen is on the forum.

The address I've used is in Linlithgow so hopefully I'll get something back. I've played the game so far and love the look and feel of it. Until I register I keep getting thrown off trains cos no ticket, lol! I am a lone player so my needs list is 'everything', which will keep me going for months! I'm ex-railway so my sense of geography is good for knowing when to change trains. I've also asked Mike to set me up in the forum as there looks to be loads of 'gen' on there. Thanks for the offer of PM. If I think of anything that's foxing me I just might. Just desperate to get registered! :roll::lol:

oldrailman

Hi all. Been a while since I posted re the problem with 'Hellfire'. I eventually got linked to Paypal via Google Chrome as the link through Explorer 8 don't work. Got my key a couple of days ago and already done a week's 'bashing'. Even more addictive than just the demo, where the only fun was wondering how far you'd get before being thrown off a train by the BTP. Thanks of course to everyone who threw in ideas of how to get going.

Status
Not open for further replies.