• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help to find an article in a Magazine. Horbury Horse Worked light railway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunnyrail

Hi

I was recently researching the death of what I believed to be a family member back early last century.

The lad's name of Dunford - my family name - was sadly run over by a horse drawn coal wagon from collieries at Middlestown, near Horbury Bridge Yorks.

There was a 3-4 page article in a magazine, possibly Backtrack, British Railways Illustrated or Steam Days. I'm pretty sure it was not Byelines, but not. I am most convinced it was Backtrack.

Can any one who may have these mags please give me the date of the Magazine issue? I think it may have been just about or before lockdown.

I will then try to get a replacement copy from the BCT on the Worth Valley. I foolishly had a clear out of Magazines and this issue looks like one of those discarded!

Many thanks again in advance,

John Dunford.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dunnyrail

I wonder if anyone has the time to look through their copies index at the front please?

Dunnyrail

Found it, October 2021 in Backtrack ‘The Flockton Waggonway - Richard Lee delves into early industrial railway history in the West Riding of Yorkshire coalfield.’. So many thanks @ge_rik . Nothing like how I described the name, but this is the article. Put onto the index by a guy in G Scale Central. These link so very useful.

Spartacus

Established Member
I'll have to keep an eye out for that, it's not far from me.

Spartacus

Established Member
Worth hunting out the magazine as it gives a good history of the line with a track plan of where it went.

I remember the Blacksmith's Arms between Kirkheaton and Upper Hopton having several very good maps, though that was maybe 10 years ago now. They're probably easily available on the National Library of Scotland site now.

MisterSheeps

I don't know if this is the same line ... I got a small A3 book, "A new history of Caphpuse Colliery and Denby Grange Collieries" by John Goodchild, Wakefield Historical Publications, 2000, from the mining museum. The line ran from the Flockton area to Calder Grove staithes on the canal, connection to the L & Y line, had a lower loco worked section, 2 inclines, uppper horseworked section from Flockton Victoria pit.

Dunnyrail

I don't know if this is the same line ... I got a small A3 book, "A new history of Caphpuse Colliery and Denby Grange Collieries" by John Goodchild, Wakefield Historical Publications, 2000, from the mining museum. The line ran from the Flockton area to Calder Grove staithes on the canal, connection to the L & Y line, had a lower loco worked section, 2 inclines, uppper horseworked section from Flockton Victoria pit.
Different line, ended up being British Oak not too far from where the M1 goes over the Calder.. Have that history, the one I refer to was exclusively loco worked and had Staiths at Horbury Bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.