• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help with railway mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cundy66

Can anyone help me understand the Miles/Chains I have got a track atlas and it has confused me when trying to understand it, would like some help to understand it more.

Thanks Tom

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MK Tom

Established Member
Basically there are 22 yards in a chain, and 220 yards in a furlong, so a furlong is 10 chains. There are 8 furlongs in a mile so a chain is an eighteith of a mile.

Hope that helps!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Do you really mean how long is a chain?

1 mile = 1760 yards.

1 chain = 22 yards

1 mile = 80 chains

So on a track map it is normally shown as miles.chains to two figures. For example ten and three quarters of a mile would be shown as 10.60

A cricket pitch is one chain between the wickets.
An acre is 1 chain by 1 furlong.
4 Rods or poles (5.5 yds) to a Chain (still used for allotments plot measure - normally 3 to 25 rods)
Good old Imperial measurements!

lincolnshire

Also to get an idea of length, if my memory serves me right a cricket pitch run is 1 chain long or 22yards.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
See how easy it is?
So you've probably already worked out in your head that there's a nice round 49.7097 chains in a kilometer.

(actually, this is close to the genuinely 'round' 50 chains to a km.)

Last edited:

pendolino

If you're wondering why they're called chains, it's because surveyors used to actually use metal chains, with equal length links, and a tag every 10 links with the measurement on. I learnt how to use one at college - mostly out of historical interest - before we went on to the high-tec modern surveying equipment such as dumpy levels (ok, not that modern and high-tec), theodolites and total stations.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunter's_chain

Yew

Established Member
Where can you get milages from. Ive racked up a nie amount so far this year, and imthinking I might record it?

Eagle

Established Member
Where can you get milages from. Ive racked up a nie amount so far this year, and imthinking I might record it?

If you want results accurate to the chain (and if you've used unusual lines whose mileages don't appear in the NRTT), then the online version of the RailMiles engine should be good enough.

Blah blah blah apology for using another Cairns product :P

Cundy66

Where is the mileage measured from as sheffield signal box is 158m 29ch for example

so would sheffield signal box be 158 and 1/4 miles from that point?

main interested lines are Doncaster - Sheffield - London, Sheffield - Lincoln, Doncaster - London

Tom

Established Member
Where is the mileage measured from as sheffield signal box is 158m 29ch for example

main interested lines are Doncaster - Sheffield - London, Sheffield - Lincoln, Doncaster - London

Tom

Depends on where the datum point is. Most are measured from a major terminus from pre-grouping railway companies (for example York has a datum point for I think 8 different former lines).

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
29 chains is closer to 3/8 of a mile. ;)

Eagle

Established Member
Am I correct in the Miles/Chains to how it would be roughly in miles?

Tom

29 chains is 29/80 of a mile, of course, which to the nearest quarter is indeed ¼ mi.

(Mileposts are every quarter, and the NRTT timetable uses distances rounded to the nearest quarter.)

Welshman

Established Member

Tom

The mileage used to be measured from the headquarters of the old Railway Company.
So in most cases, it would be London, but in the case of the old North-Eastern Railway lines, it would be York.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
If you're wondering why they're called chains, it's because surveyors used to actually use metal chains, with equal length links, and a tag every 10 links with the measurement on. I learnt how to use one at college - mostly out of historical interest - before we went on to the high-tec modern surveying equipment such as dumpy levels (ok, not that modern and high-tec), theodolites and total stations.

I think I am right in saying that the entire USA-Canada border (excluding Alaska) was marked out by men walking around with chains and sticks. Its about 2000 miles when you take away the great lakes. That must have been a fun job.

Railsigns

Established Member
The mileage used to be measured from the headquarters of the old Railway Company.
So in most cases, it would be London, but in the case of the old North-Eastern Railway lines, it would be York.

Not true, I'm afraid. Below is a picture of a North Eastern Railway milepost with the mileage measured in this case from Staddlethorpe Junction (now called Gilberdyke). Nor is it true for other companies. For example, the Caledonian Railway had its headquarters in Glasgow but much of its railway system was measured from Carlisle. Many branch lines around the country had their zero mileage point at the junction with the main line.

nermp14.jpg

Last edited:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member

Tom

Sheffield and 158.29 etc is measured from St Pancras via Leicester and Toton.

Sheffield-Doncaster - As above to Aldwarke Jns, then from Penistone Barnsley Jn via former Wath Central. The final few chains at Doncaster are measured from King's Cross.

Doncaster-London - Measured from King's Cross fully.

Sheffield-Lincoln - As Sheffield etc to Nunnery Jn, then from Manchester London Rd via Woodhead to Gainsborough Trent (East Jn), and from there to Lincoln is measured from Huntingdon South Jn via March.

Crossover

Established Member
Am I correct in the Miles/Chains to how it would be roughly in miles?

Tom

If it helps, when I do my mileages in Excel, I keep the miles and chains separate and then decimalise it

I.e. Mileage = miles + ((chains/80) * 100)

Hope this makes sense :)

ChrisD

Just to add another question.

Does anyone have the distance from Cheriton to Cocquelles?

Tried googling it with no joy.

Can be in miles & chains, kms or whatever (as I have converter software).

Prefer answer not in inches!! :lol:

themiller

You must be aware that the mileages generally marked on the railway system are from when each line was built. This means that if a line was diverted there will be a mismatch. You will need to consult a rail atlas to discover where the mileage changes are and what the continuation mileage is. Currently I use the TRACKatlas of Mainland Britain published by TRACKmaps but others are available. Of note is that the GBTT used to give the mileages against the first table for each line but this only covered passenger lines.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

I was amused to see on the HS2 official maps (Arup) that while the route is clearly identified in metric (km, shown to .001 ie a metre), that the actual distance measure was called "Chainage"....

Status
Not open for further replies.