• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help with routeing Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

baza585

Sorry to have to ask for help but I'm really struggling to get my moind round the routeing guide.

Journey is Hinton Admiral to Pompey Harbour. I'm trying to work out if via Eastleigh is a valid route or not.

Interestingly due to a block at Southampton this weekend, NRE is routing me via Bournemouth and bus to Eastleigh and then down to Pompey. Presumably this would be OK even if Eastleigh is not a valid route???? Or am i being naive; or do I need to print off the itinerary just in case!

If there is any kind soul out there who could take the time to explain this journey step by step in the Routeing Guide, it would make it rather less likely I need to bother you all next time!

MTIA

Ben

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

junglejames

Established Member
Having checked the routeing guide, it would seem as though you cant go via Eastleigh, unless of course there is a direct train between Southampton and Pompey that calls at Eastleigh.
But of course with engineering works, then this goes out the window. You will have to go via Eastleigh with a block at Southampton if thats where the buses are going to.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Sorry to have to ask for help but I'm really struggling to get my moind round the routeing guide.

Journey is Hinton Admiral to Pompey Harbour. I'm trying to work out if via Eastleigh is a valid route or not.

Interestingly due to a block at Southampton this weekend, NRE is routing me via Bournemouth and bus to Eastleigh and then down to Pompey. Presumably this would be OK even if Eastleigh is not a valid route???? Or am i being naive; or do I need to print off the itinerary just in case!

If there is any kind soul out there who could take the time to explain this journey step by step in the Routeing Guide, it would make it rather less likely I need to bother you all next time!

MTIA

Ben

No need to worry about the routeing guide at all IMHO, because even if you were travelling by rail throughout, going 'via Eastleigh' is a valid route; although most of the time the journey planners don't route you that way because the route via the Netley line is nearly always quicker.

If you need further reassurance, The National Rail site gives the next three departures as 2125, 2225 and 2325, and the last of those is routed via Eastleigh, because there is no connecting FGW service from Southampton. They all have the same fare - which is a sure sign the route is valid without using the routeing guide.

Now if there is a full engineering block on at Southampton Central, changing at Parkway or Eastleigh actually becomes the standard route, because it is easier to run replacement buses from Bournemouth round the M27 than any other option. Add to that the current building works at Parkway and Eastleigh becomes the obvious bus/rail transfer point.

junglejames

Established Member
Sorry, i was wrong. It must be valid normally. Its not quite 3 miles longer than the shortest route, so should be valid. Strange why the map doesnt have Eastleigh on it though.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
The Routeing Guide allows TOCs to allow extra routeing permissions during engineering work where it is not normally allowed.

Hinton Admiral to Portsmouth Harbour is not normally valid via Eastleigh.

John @ home

Established Member
Hinton Admiral to Portsmouth Harbour is not normally valid via Eastleigh.
I don't agree.
NRG Intructions page 1 said:
The shortest route is calculated by reference to the National Rail Timetable.
The shortest route is:
National Rail Timetable said:
Table 158: Hinton Admiral - Southampton Central 21.75 miles
Table 165: Southampton Central - Portsmouth Harbour 25.75 miles
Total 47.5 miles.
The route via Eastleigh is:
National Rail Timetable said:
Table 158: Hinton Admiral - Eastleigh 27.5 miles
Table 158: Eastleigh - Portsmouth Harbour 22.75 miles
Total 49.75 miles.
NRG in Detail page F9 said:
Journeys on direct trains or taking the route of shortest distance or a distance longer by no more than 3 miles are always following a permitted route.
Therefore junglejames is right. Hinton Admiral to Portsmouth Harbour via Eastleigh is always a permitted route.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I hadn't noticed it written there (I've seen in in other parts of that section of the RG amongst flawed examples which don't relate to this one), although I still don't necessarily think the section was written on the same planet as the rest of the guide.

baza585

Guys/gals

Many thanks for your help. I have to say I would never have worked all that out - I just hope any person carrying out ticket checks will be as knowledgeable as you good people!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I just hope any person carrying out ticket checks will be as knowledgeable as you good people!
Unless you travel on a train that have certain people (who I won't name but they probably know who they are!) on here as the guard, then there is very little chance of that! But just because someone is not 'knowledgeable' does not mean they will reject the ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.