• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heritage railways and camp sites within walking distance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Swanage Railway (Norden) and Watercress Line (New Alresford) are very similar (about 36 miles to Swanage and 39 to New Alresford).
Thanks. Bit far that, I would suggest and possibly not walking distance for most folk, as per the thread title.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

341o2

Established Member
Setthorns is not really close to any heritage lines, I quoted it as an example of a campsite with a more unusual rule. When you arrive, a member of staff will want to see that you have a toilet. There are proper waste disposal facilities on site

william.martin

On Moderation
Many along the Welsh highland railway - I believe at waunfaur station there is a campsite on one side then a bridge to it's toilets on the other side of the track.

william.martin

On Moderation
These two spring to mind. There’s a campsite next to the West Somerset Railway just east of Blue Anchor station that we’ve stayed in before now, can’t remember the name though.

The one we’ve stayed in the most often is the campsite at the Unicorn Inn next to the Severn Valley Railway at Hampton Loade, that’s a lovely spot.
Just a hint that it can regularly get a bit rowdy in the pub at night so watch out if you have young kids ;)

daddsie71b

Apart from Swanage and Corfe , all of the other stations have campsites nearby. Woodyhyde at Harmans Cross even sells SR tickets

JKF

Apart from Swanage and Corfe , all of the other stations have campsites nearby. Woodyhyde at Harmans Cross even sells SR tickets
I’ve stayed there, the bottom field borders the line. My kids loved watching the trains come and go, it’s a decent frequency in the summer, at least one passing every hour in one or other direction. There’s a path from the campsite to Harman’s Cross, about 5-10 minutes walk.

tumbles

Woodyhyde is a good one for Swanage - about a five-ten minute walk from Harmons Cross. You also have the line running past the field if you like that sorta thing

IMG_7996.jpeg

M7R

We have just had a great 3 nights at Station Campsite in Carrog near Llangollen railway, the site was really good, and the railway the other side of the hedge was great. Shame Carrog station is now a shadow of its former self, no cafe, not manned most of the time real shame.

johnnychips

Established Member
Abbot’s House Farm at Goathland for NYMR: the line runs through the site.

Square and Compasses at Darley Bridge for Peak Rail.

johnnychips

Established Member
Oh wow, I never realised it went through Goathland.

Thank you sincerely for mentioning that as I am now considering booking it for next summer :)
I will warn you that the facilities are a bit basic, and the gnats can be terrible in the evening. I would look at some online reviews if I were you! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.