• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hertford North -Should the frequency increase, with a return of the Semi-Fasts?

Elybob

Previously semi-fasts ran from Hertford North, skipping Bayford/Crews/Grange Park/Bowes Park/Hornsey/Harringey. From memory this usually reduced journies down to 40 min

However I just checked the timetable and now it seems every service is an all-stopper 1 hour Moorgate, even during peaks?

Is this correct? If so it seems a shame

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Post-covid reduction in peak service from 8 to 6 tph.

For accuracy, the best time I can find was 46min, the standard time is now 52min.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Looking at my observations of the services, to me it looks like it this route should really return to 8tph. Some of them are fairly cosy now. But not sure if Great Northern have enough drivers to increase the frequency. I don’t think all the Gordon Hill slow trains are back in the timetable yet either. We have a couple of Welwyn Garden City services stopping at Hornsey and Harringey because of these not running.

higthomas

Looking at my observations of the services, to me it looks like it this route should really return to 8tph. Some of them are fairly cosy now. But not sure if Great Northern have enough drivers to increase the frequency. I don’t think all the Gordon Hill slow trains are back in the timetable yet either. We have a couple of Welwyn Garden City services stopping at Hornsey and Harringey because of these not running.
I don't live round there anymore, but when I did, I definitely felt that even off-peak (specifically evenings and weekends, less so weekday daytime) it could justify 4tph, with 2tph of those from Stevenage semi-fast.

Basil Jet

On Moderation
I don't live round there anymore, but when I did, I definitely felt that even off-peak (specifically evenings and weekends, less so weekday daytime) it could justify 4tph, with 2tph of those from Stevenage semi-fast.
So only 2tph at Bowes Park, Grage Park etc?

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Even off-peak there's sufficient demand at most of the intermediate stations to justify a return to at least 3tph, even with the 717s being six car rather than the three of the 313s.

When GN Inners still ran to Kings Cross at weekends, rather than Moorgate, even an eight car 317 formation would be full and standing. Though that was several years ago and also a half hourly frequency.

Basil Jet

On Moderation
Even off-peak there's sufficient demand at most of the intermediate stations to justify a return to at least 3tph, even with the 717s being six car rather than the three of the 313s.

When GN Inners still ran to Kings Cross at weekends, rather than Moorgate, even an eight car 317 formation would be full and standing.
There are no stations on the Hertford Loop capable of taking 8 carriages, and few capable of taking 7.

An off-peak 3tph all stops Moorgate to Gordon Hill, with 3tph from Kings Cross - Finsbury Park - nonstop to Enfield Chase - all stations to Stevenage (probably not using 717s) would be nice.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
There are no stations on the Hertford Loop capable of taking 8 carriages, and few capable of taking 7.
I'm clearly misremembering the double 317 formations. Would certainly explain them being wedged if a single 317 was subbing for double 313s! :lol:

WAB

The demand from Enfield Chase southwards is always going to be stunted on 2tph. For people used to Piccadilly line frequencies, it's not an attractive service, particularly given you may need to change trains to reach your destination, and be careful with your connecting tubes in the other direction.

NorthKent1989

Established Member
I do recall using a Hertford North semi fast once on a Friday visiting a friend, it was definitely handy and my mate used it regularly.

He said they were thinking of making it a off peak service as well.

Elybob

The demand from Enfield Chase southwards is always going to be stunted on 2tph. For people used to Piccadilly line frequencies, it's not an attractive service, particularly given you may need to change trains to reach your destination, and be careful with your connecting tubes in the other direction.
The main thing is Bayford and Crews Hill, these stations absolutely do not need 4tph peak. It's complete overkill given the passenger numbers.

You could probably add Grange Park to that as well

WAB

The main thing is Bayford and Crews Hill, these stations absolutely do not need 4tph peak. It's complete overkill given the passenger numbers.

You could probably add Grange Park to that as well
I agree, although Grange Park could merit a full service given the housing in the area and distance to alternatives. Crews Hill is similar for now, but is slated for a considerable housing development in the future.

Kite159

Veteran Member
In an ideal world the Moorgate services should return to a pre 2018(?) timetable of 3tph on both arms. Every 20 minutes. Although I suspect since the changes with Thameslink services those paths would be no longer available.

Just to get that area out of the post Covid cutback 2tph on each arm, might actually generate more usage.