• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heysham Port line new stations/improvement potential

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
There IS a possible solution to Lancaster's traffic problem, and that is the never talked about internal relief road that was planned in the 1960s to run from the Pointer roundabout to Greyhound bridge.
There's a deliberately undeveloped strip of land between the two, currently mostly car park which has been a thorn in the councils side for 50 years. They're currently planning to hide the history by replacing the car parks with housing, which would probably be a death knell to the shopping centre.
In reality if the relief road were built it would remove most traffic from the town centre, so resolving much of the problem

I think that bird has already flown. Today you could just about get from the Greyhound Bridge as far as Quarry Road by mostly demolishing car parks, but beyond that has already been built on. Even to get that far you'd have the problem of several junctions that would presumably need to be traffic light controlled.

By the way, I don't see why it would be the death knell to the shopping centre if those car parks were replaced by housing. You'd lose some people coming by car to the shopping centre, but some of those would swap to buses, and you'd add in new people from the new houses. I'd bet the vast majority of people shopping in the city centre even today get there by walking or on the bus - the only exception being people in Sainsburys/Currys/B&M using those shops' car parks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FlyingPotato

The 100 and 2x IS a loop. It's the same bus changing numbers at Morecambe station
It runs Lancaster bus station - Morecambe Rd -Bay Gateway - Heysham - Battery - Morecambe station - Bare - Torrisholme - Lancaster Bus station - University

A lot of people speculating here who don't seem to know the area

The original reason why what is now the 1/1A runs through Torrisholme and was switched to that route in ~1979 is because it has less traffic than Morecambe Rd and is actually often a quicker route during the day. Admittedly the bus lanes and roundabouts added to Morecambe Rd since then have improved things, but the Torrisholme route is often quicker

Not a chance, too dangerous. You'd be putting buses down a narrow rat run

There IS a possible solution to Lancaster's traffic problem, and that is the never talked about internal relief road that was planned in the 1960s to run from the Pointer roundabout to Greyhound bridge.
There's a deliberately undeveloped strip of land between the two, currently mostly car park which has been a thorn in the councils side for 50 years. They're currently planning to hide the history by replacing the car parks with housing, which would probably be a death knell to the shopping centre.
In reality if the relief road were built it would remove most traffic from the town centre, so resolving much of the problem
In my experience it's not all 100s which become the 2x, I often take the 100 and it usually states when it will becoming the 2x

And again in my experience, the Torrisholme route is often slower for me

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Not a chance, too dangerous. You'd be putting buses down a narrow rat run

The issue is that even if that was built, it doesn't really relieve the Pointer roundabout, or the tailbacks from Greaves Rd onto it. An eastern ring road parallel to the M6 and joining the Bay Gateway at Caton Rd Park & Ride would be the only solution that does both.