• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

High Winds ECML 17th Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeordieO

I'm on board the delayed 0730 Newcastle to King's Cross LNER service and this is apparently the last to leave southbound due to damage to the OHLE between Edinburgh and York.
Not a happy Friday for commuting!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ASharpe

Nothing in or out the west side of Leeds due to a tarp on the ovhead lines.

I'm just out of the area they will need to isolate.

island

Veteran Member
There's already several dewirements/objects on OHLE reported. Doncaster and further south seem to be all right so far. And according to NRE, diesels are getting through from York to Newcastle, for now anyway.

GeordieO

We are now being held at Darlington. Apparently this is due to a bridge strike and emergency incident rather than the weather. I hope whoever is involved is okay

Established Member
We are now being held at Darlington. Apparently this is due to a bridge strike and emergency incident rather than the weather. I hope whoever is involved is okay
Vehicle has struck Park Gate bridge, south of Darlington station with person trapped within the vehicle.

Some guy

Fantastic the Edinburgh to Euston via midlands services are going to be absolutely rammed all day long

cuccir

Established Member
Some movement happening again.

It looks like the object in the overhead wires at Wakefield has been cleared, or at least there are some services now moving - the 07:47 from Wakefield to Edinburgh was stuck for around 90 minutes but is now on its way.

Similarly southbound there have been a few services held for 30-60 minutes between Newcastle and Darlington but these seem to be some movement again - this left Durham at 08:48 and arrived into Darlington at 10:04, and has now set off south again.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Leeds looks to now be completely blocked. My suspicion is the building sites next to Leeds station which give no due care and attention to litter especially plastic sheeting have just shedded all their loose materials over the throat and things are wrapping in the wires faster than they can be removed.

Spartacus

Established Member
Leeds looks to now be completely blocked. My suspicion is the building sites next to Leeds station which give no due care and attention to litter especially plastic sheeting have just shedded all their loose materials over the throat and things are wrapping in the wires faster than they can be removed.

I suspect you're right. even if they are being careful, there's bound to be stuff left loose on the construction floors, which although fairly well fenced in, there are gaps. In these winds anything light and loose will just be carried out through those gaps.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
The winds have noticeably dropped in Leeds City Centre, it is not rattling the windows anywhere near as much and can't hear it.
Some lines suffering worse than others with about 7 trains queued up coming off the Stourton line into Leeds. XC now just giving up on Leeds it seems and going via Pontefract.

Surely there comes a point where you just give up on electric traction, run diesel only and wait for winds to die down.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Going to attempt to get to the west country shortly, think it will be a turn up and hope sort of job.

Spartacus

Established Member
There's a suspension of traffic into Leeds right now. Might be best getting the first train out to either Sheffield or York rather than hope for anything new to come in, I can't see anything coming in from York.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
There's a suspension of traffic into Leeds right now. Might be best getting the first train out to either Sheffield or York rather than hope for anything new to come in, I can't see anything coming in from York.
Parents live in Sheffield, thinking of maybe driving down there and parking and getting train rest of way

ASharpe

The winds have noticeably dropped in Leeds City Centre, it is not rattling the windows anywhere near as much and can't hear it.

Yes, was very noisy when I made it in about 0940 but can hardly hear it now.

The baffles by Bridgewater place seem to be doing their job.

Hopefully all will be calm when it's time for me to head home.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Looks like 1V54 XC service has given up on the ECML just south of Durham. Nope, my bad. A points failure of morpeth, the earlier bridge bash at Darlington and the wind, its turning into one of those days out there today!

YorksLad12

Established Member
I was in Leeds Station at midday. It was way busier than I was expecting, mainly because of the "Delayed" notices next to pretty much every train on the left-hand screen in the Northern Concourse (that's about 20 journeys, from memory). The ones that weren't delayed were cancelled. I went to the booking office to get a season ticket; while there, someone came out and said not to sell any tickets for the north-west as nothing was moving.

Basically, it sounded as bad as the time of the lightning strike in 2018.

traji00

Fantastic the Edinburgh to Euston via midlands services are going to be absolutely rammed all day long
Currently on 9M56 (1252 EDB-EUS), and it wasn’t too busy on leaving Waverley.

However, a queue for LNER trains stretched from the top of the shot (at one point crossing the road) and onto platform 2.

Attachments

• 4B5A33B3-46EA-4981-9B2F-EA062D7DBDC0.jpeg
    4B5A33B3-46EA-4981-9B2F-EA062D7DBDC0.jpeg
    153.2 KB · Views: 243

ASharpe

Seemed fairly quiet as I caught my train at Leeds. Maybe some people put off travel today given the chaos.

The train I caught was cancelled when I left the office but reinstated and on time by the time I got there.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Ended up driving to meadowhall dumping car heading to derby but got caught up by the train we were meant to be on in Leeds (which diverted and never went there) actually only in cornwall 15 late which considered what was going on is a result!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Vehicle has struck Park Gate bridge, south of Darlington station with person trapped within the vehicle.
Park GATE or Park SIDE?

If the forner parkgate is the main double bridge just north of the station.

Parkside is to the south and known locally as the tunnel of death as it is tiny !

Smithfield road is also a small tunnel or low bridge

cin88

Training at one of my new boxes today was certainly interesting with all this going on, at one point there was so little traffic in both directions that I remarked that it was like being in my old very quiet rural box again. Gave me some much needed regulating experience when things were moving again though.

ASharpe

Im pleased as a mere pax the effort everyone must have gone to to keep the show on the rails today.

I got to work not too late and got home to the pub on time.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Im pleased as a mere pax the effort everyone must have gone to to keep the show on the rails today.

I got to work not too late and got home to the pub on time.

Indeed. S&C services were severely delayed, but Northern got things back on track in good time.

ASharpe

Indeed. S&C services were severely delayed, but Northern got things back on track in good time.

It was indeed a S&C (1648) I caught from Leeds. I think the train crew are as keen as the passengers to get home whenever there is disruption xx

DustyBin

Established Member
I can confirm that standing in first class for three hours is no more comfortable than standing in standard… We’re an hour late into KGX too, but first world problems and all that!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It was indeed a S&C (1648) I caught from Leeds. I think the train crew are as keen as the passengers to get home whenever there is disruption xx

Indeed. Good recovery.

I was on an earlier one. We stopped at Skipton then became the following train.

xotGD

Established Member
My train into Leeds from Airedale this morning was stuck for over an hour.

Delay repay claim submitted, so a free day out should result.

Well done those who got things sorted and trains back on the move.

Status
Not open for further replies.