• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Historic Thameslink frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin1501

Browsing through a 1991 timetable, I see that at that time, Thameslink only operated hourly from Bedford through to Brighton, trains on the alternate half hours terminating at Gatwick Airport. Can anyone tell me when the service became half-hourly all the way through to Brighton?

Grateful for any info.

Colin

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Magdalia

Established Member
Browsing through a 1991 timetable, I see that at that time, Thameslink only operated hourly from Bedford through to Brighton, trains on the alternate half hours terminating at Gatwick Airport. Can anyone tell me when the service became half-hourly all the way through to Brighton?

Grateful for any info.

Colin
The following year. By 1995 it was 4tph Bedford-Brighton.

nw1

Established Member
The following year. By 1995 it was 4tph Bedford-Brighton.

How did they achieve the 4tph without extra stock, incidentally? Did one of the other routes (Sevenoaks via Bat and Ball, and Wimbledon/Sutton loop, IIRC) come to an end?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
How did they achieve the 4tph without extra stock, incidentally? Did one of the other routes (Sevenoaks via Bat and Ball, and Wimbledon/Sutton loop, IIRC) come to an end?
By splitting 8 coach trains into 4 coach ones at Brighton and Bedford for the off-peak.

There were quite a lot of 4 coach trains in the peak as well, and for a time 317s worked into Moorgate.

Magdalia

Established Member
Thameslink through to both Sevenoaks and Guildford finished in May 1994. 4tph at the Bedford end started in 1994, but with only 2tph going through to/from Brighton.

A S Leib

Thameslink through to both Sevenoaks and Guildford finished in May 1994. 4tph at the Bedford end started in 1994, but with only 2tph going through to/from Brighton.
Which route did they use for Guildford? The same as Southern peak extras pre-Covid?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Which route did they use for Guildford? The same as Southern peak extras pre-Covid?
Yes, via Tulse Hill and West Croydon, then as the peak extras through Sutton, Epsom and Bookham.

Before Thameslink, the Sutton loop was covered by a strange service that ran London Victoria - Balham - Mitcham Junction - Sutton - Wimbledon - Tulse Hill - Peckham Rye - London Bridge

AM9

Veteran Member
The original service was started using a batch of 60 319/0 stock delivered by 1988. A second betcha of the class 319 was introduced from 1990, that was configured for the longer journeys from Bedford to Brighton with 1st class seating and Brecknell Willis pantographs. This enabled a fuller service after 1992.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The second batch (technically third) of 319/1s released some earlier 319/0s to work South Central services. Thameslink didn't have all 86 units.

Magdalia

Established Member
The second batch (technically third) of 319/1s released some earlier 319/0s to work South Central services. Thameslink didn't have all 86 units.
Six (?) units from this batch were notionally for Southern as replacements for units written off in the Clapham and Purley accidents.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Six (?) units from this batch were notionally for Southern as replacements for units written off in the Clapham and Purley accidents.
Yes, that is what I have always understood, but it is all a little complicated as to how that translates to service frequencies.

Clearly at privatisation Southern got 20 units, so the Thameslink service was reliant on 66 units. 317s helped out for various periods of time.

nw1

Established Member
The original service was started using a batch of 60 319/0 stock delivered by 1988. A second betcha of the class 319 was introduced from 1990, that was configured for the longer journeys from Bedford to Brighton with 1st class seating and Brecknell Willis pantographs. This enabled a fuller service after 1992.

Ah OK thanks. In the 90s I drifted away from the "Central Division" / Connex so wasn't fully aware of goings-on there: basically all I saw were the Victoria-Hove-Southampton and Victoria-Horsham-Portsmouth routes and the Coastway West Portsmouth stoppers.

Thanks also for the other replies.

I did however see the original Thameslink service in 1988 so remember the original pattern of alternate Brighton and Gatwick terminators.

Yes, via Tulse Hill and West Croydon, then as the peak extras through Sutton, Epsom and Bookham.

Before Thameslink, the Sutton loop was covered by a strange service that ran London Victoria - Balham - Mitcham Junction - Sutton - Wimbledon - Tulse Hill - Peckham Rye - London Bridge

I remember this varied by year. In 1985 for example the Wimbledon Loop went Victoria - Norbury - West Croydon - Sutton - Wimbledon - direct route, presumably - Holborn Viaduct.

Alternate services must have waited somewhere though, because the pattern out of Holborn was half-hourly (on the hour and half hour, IIRC) but at Victoria was 20/40 (xx02 and xx42, part of a 20-min interval stopping service via Norbury with the xx22 to Epsom Downs). The timetable made it look as if the ex-Victoria services terminated at West Sutton as there was no "To Holborn Viaduct via Wimbledon" note.

(I remember this as I attempted to memorise the timetable prior to my first visit to Clapham for rail enthusiast purposes on 31/12/85 !)

Last edited:

Thebaz

I remember this varied by year. In 1985 for example the Wimbledon Loop went Victoria - Norbury - West Croydon - Sutton - Wimbledon - direct route, presumably - Holborn Viaduct.

Alternate services must have waited somewhere though, because the pattern out of Holborn was half-hourly (on the hour and half hour, IIRC) but at Victoria was 20/40 (xx02 and xx42, part of a 20-min interval stopping service via Norbury with the xx22 to Epsom Downs). The timetable made it look as if the ex-Victoria services terminated at West Sutton as there was no "To Holborn Viaduct via Wimbledon" note.

(I remember this as I attempted to memorise the timetable prior to my first visit to Clapham for rail enthusiast purposes on 31/12/85 !)
Certainly post-1987 when I started getting the train a lot all the Wimbledon loop services off peak went from Victoria via Norbury, West Croydon, Sutton Wimbledon, Streatham, Peckham Rye, London Bridge and this went on for years. Morning peak services went via Mitcham Junction so if I wanted to get to Sutton Common (from Carshalton Beeches) for school, I had to change at Sutton. IIRC the afternoon peak retained the off-peak service pattern on this route until Thameslink appeared.

In the original Thameslink timetable two trains an hour terminated at Purley!

nw1

Established Member
Certainly post-1987 when I started getting the train a lot all the Wimbledon loop services off peak went from Victoria via Norbury, West Croydon, Sutton Wimbledon, Streatham, Peckham Rye, London Bridge and this went on for years. Morning peak services went via Mitcham Junction so if I wanted to get to Sutton Common (from Carshalton Beeches) for school, I had to change at Sutton. IIRC the afternoon peak retained the off-peak service pattern on this route until Thameslink appeared.

In the original Thameslink timetable two trains an hour terminated at Purley!

Ah, that rings a bell now you mention it; I spent the day at East Croydon in the early days, 21/7/88 if I remember correctly. I had it in my head it was 1tph Brighton, 1tph Gatwick, 2tph Sutton/Wimbledon and 2tph Sevenoaks (Catford/Bat and Ball) but evidently not.

Status
Not open for further replies.