• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Historical: London's Daimler Fleetline question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
I understand that the building of London's new bus; the Daimler Fleetline was shared between Park Royal and Metro Cammell-Weymann between 1970 and 1974ish. 2 questions:

Who built what?

What was the difference between the DMS and DM classification?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DunsBus

Established Member
Park Royal bodied all of the first 1,247 London Fleetlines. Those from DMS1248 upwards were a mix of MCW and Park Royal-bodied batches.

DMS1248 was the first of the MCW-bodied examples. It was - ironically - also the first DMS to be withdrawn, the victim of an electrical fire in August 1978. Its demise came just days before DM2646 (the final London Fleetline) was delivered and meant that the DM/DMS class never reached its full quota of 2,646 buses.

GCH100

Daimler/Leyland Fleetline DMS's were actually made between 1970-1978.

The body split was as follows:-

DMS1-1217 Park Royal Bodies - DMS854 was a B20 Prototype
DMS1218-2057 Metro-Cammell-Weymann Bodies
DMS2058-2166 Park Royal Bodies
DMS2167-2346 Metro-Cammell-Weymann Bodies - DMS2247-2346 were B20's
DMS2347-2526 Park Royal Bodies - All B20's
DM2527-2646 Park Royal Bodies - All B20's

Source: Buses of LONDON, Colin Curtis 2nd Edition, 1979, London Transport, London

Last edited by a moderator:

busesrusuk

Basically, the order for bodywork was split between Park Royal and MCW with the former building the greater number of bodies. The bodies themselves were very similar in appearance but there were detail differences between the two. They were quite minor but if you knew what you were looking for (other than fleetnumbers of course) such as the top deck floor drainage holes were square on Park Royal buses and round on MCW bodied vehicles. The offside rear emergency exit door was taller on the MCW buses compared to Park Royal and the beading above the window line on the top deck continued around the front of the bus.

The difference between the DMS and DM buses was that the DM was designed to be operated as a crew bus so didn't have the AFC (automatic fare collection) equipment fitted (and had extra seats where the AFC equipment was) and had no base plate to fit a ticket machine by the driver. In later years many buses were able to be operated in either mode and many DM's were reclassified "D" and had the base plate for the ticket machine and a flap on the front of the bus that enabled a "pay driver" or "Pay conductor" message to be displayed. As mentioned above Ian's Bus Stop page gives details of the batches built by each bodybuilder. As an FYI, when the sales of the DMS began, LT prioritised getting rid of the MCW bodied buses first. Here are a couple of pics in which you can play "spot the difference":

Here is a pic of an MCW bus:

Here is a Park Royal bodied bus:

Another showing the "pay driver" flap on the front and reclassified as a "D":

Last edited by a moderator:

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Cheers guys

I remember travelling on the 157 a lot when I lived in Anerley (and others) and remember the "pay driver/pay conductor" flaps at the front. One was coloured blue from memory. However, I remember them as "DMS" rather than "DM" but am in the process of compiling a list of models I have (EFE ones) and clearly have both types. I'll have to look closely to see if the models are typical of their former real life brothers and sisters

I vaguely remember Ian's Bus Stop so thanks for confirming - I'll have a look when time allows

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Might be worth mentioning that in the early 1970s London Transport proposed a new tube which was to be named the 'Fleet Line'. As a result, the Fleetline name was not used for buses by L.T.

I can clearly remember an L.T. poster on the Tube, with an artist's impression of a DMS captioned 'London's new bus - The Londoner!'.

Never ever heard anyone use the name, though,.

ChrisPJ

The matchbox toy models of DMS buses had the name Londoner cast into the undersides of them.

pm2304877

On Moderation
Don't forget XF1-8 the 1965 evaluation batch of Daimler Fleetlines alongside Leyland Atlanteans XA 1-50.

There is a half way mark when Daimler in Coventry ceased production and they became Leyland Fleetlines. The type code changed from CRG6LX to FE30GR or FE30LR.

BTW another, or more precisely the original German Daimler (pronounced DIME-LER) are building buses again, a phoenix arisen!

I forgot to add that while Leyland refused to build the FRM type rear engined AEC Route master beyond FRM1 they offered London Transport an AEC AV691engined Bristol VRL but alas
this latter day K6A wasn't to be!

Last edited:

Merle Haggard

Established Member
I used the AFC on a DMS once - from what I remember you boarded the bus on the right hand side of the entrance, put money in a slot and that then released the turnstile. I was making the journey when I worked at Euston House to visit a building society in Kingsway. Because of the fare stages I walked to the stop on Gower Street just South of the Euston Road, which was a fare stage, and alighted at the stop before Oxford Street, also one; by doing so my journey was within one fare stage. From memory, there was a low fare for a one stage journey at the time. So the DMS stopped - I was the only intending passenger - the driver stared at me, I got on, went to the slot machine, put a 10p in, through the turnstile and upstairs.

However, the bus didn't move off. There was some noise downstairs (a cab door being slammed) and the driver came upstairs and said 'you only put 10p in!'. I said yes. He then said 'and where do you think you're going? I told him where, and said it was one fare stage. He said 'that's all right then', he returned to the cab and we set off. It's fair to say that the tone of his voice and an absence of apology for treating me like a fare dodger suggested that he hadn't remembered much from his .customer service course.

I never, ever, saw anyone else use the AFC, and the DMS didn't last long on the route.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I used the AFC on a DMS once - from what I remember you boarded the bus on the right hand side of the entrance, put money in a slot and that then released the turnstile. I was making the journey when I worked at Euston House to visit a building society in Kingsway. Because of the fare stages I walked to the stop on Gower Street just South of the Euston Road, which was a fare stage, and alighted at the stop before Oxford Street, also one; by doing so my journey was within one fare stage. From memory, there was a low fare for a one stage journey at the time. So the DMS stopped - I was the only intending passenger - the driver stared at me, I got on, went to the slot machine, put a 10p in, through the turnstile and upstairs.

However, the bus didn't move off. There was some noise downstairs (a cab door being slammed) and the driver came upstairs and said 'you only put 10p in!'. I said yes. He then said 'and where do you think you're going? I told him where, and said it was one fare stage. He said 'that's all right then', he returned to the cab and we set off. It's fair to say that the tone of his voice and an absence of apology for treating me like a fare dodger suggested that he hadn't remembered much from his .customer service course.

I never, ever, saw anyone else use the AFC, and the DMS didn't last long on the route.
Are you sure the bus ride was down Gower Street, and not Southampton Row? I'm struggling to think of any DMS routes, indeed any opo at the time, down Gower Street and, in any case, Kingsway would be easier accessed from near Euston by the more Eastern route, I remember, because I used them for a while, the DMSs which came to the 170 together with a revised routeing at its Northern end. I travelled from the Strand at Charing Cross Station to the stop before Euston Station for my job on Euston Road. Don't recollect using the AFC, but I may have done.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Are you sure the bus ride was down Gower Street, and not Southampton Row? I'm struggling to think of any DMS routes, indeed any opo at the time, down Gower Street and, in any case, Kingsway would be easier accessed from near Euston by the more Eastern route, I remember, because I used them for a while, the DMSs which came to the 170 together with a revised routeing at its Northern end. I travelled from the Strand at Charing Cross Station to the stop before Euston Station for my job on Euston Road. Don't recollect using the AFC, but I may have done.
Yes sorry, you are right, it was indeed Southampton Row - the stop outside the church with the steps and porch just a little back from the road. Should have checked on the web. I'm pretty sure it was a 170.

My experience was very soon after it had been introduced and my recollection was that it didn't last long on that route. I made the journey once a month to pay my mortgage,. Looking back, I think I noticed that, despite the publicity, no-one seems to use the AFC, so when the opportunity arose, I did - just for the experience really. And it seemed a lot easier than paying the driver. From what I remember at the time you had to know what the fare was and I don't think that was easy to find out. The reason I knew the fare was because I made the journey regularly.

SLC001

I think I am right that LT wanted to remove the bodies so that the Fleetlines could be overhauled using the same methods as they used for RTs and Routemasters. It was written into the specification but the Park Royal bodies did not meet that specification whereas the MCW bodies could be separated. I have read that LT almost wrecked the body of a Park Royal Fleetline when they first tried to remove the body! The resulting greater pressure on garages to service the Fleetlines was part of the reason why LT had so much trouble with them - unlike their counterparts outside the capital.

Roger1973

I used the AFC on a DMS once - from what I remember you boarded the bus on the right hand side of the entrance, put money in a slot and that then released the turnstile.

Yes, I have a very faint recollection of using one once (and possibly trying to on a few other occasions and it wasn't working) under parental guidance. I think they were taken out of use completely by the early 80s.

There's a (possibly posed) photo of one in use in the LT Museum photo collection here.

As LT was still on graduated bus fares, there was an additional stage in needing to press the button for the fare value you wanted - I can't remember now whether you did this before, or after, inserting coin/s.

As far as I'm aware, they always printed a code for the fare value, rather than printing the actual fare paid (another LTM photo here) - Gibson and Almex ticket machines didn't follow suit until the mid / late 70s.

I think there was a board at about passenger eye level above the machine which was supposed to carry a fare chart (although it's not visible in the photo I've posted a link to) - although how many passengers would bother with this, or know how to read a fare chart, is questionable.

busesrusuk

I think I am right that LT wanted to remove the bodies so that the Fleetlines could be overhauled using the same methods as they used for RTs and Routemasters. It was written into the specification but the Park Royal bodies did not meet that specification whereas the MCW bodies could be separated. I have read that LT almost wrecked the body of a Park Royal Fleetline when they first tried to remove the body! The resulting greater pressure on garages to service the Fleetlines was part of the reason why LT had so much trouble with them - unlike their counterparts outside the capital.
I would have to re-read the history books on which body was easier to remove, but it was the intention to separate body from chassis to aid the overhaul process. If indeed the MCW body could have met the spec so to speak it was interesting to note that once the decision was made to sell them, LT selected the MCW bodied examples as the first to go.

The problems that LT had in maintaining them is well known but was partly of their own making, They had got used to the RT's and RM's going through Chiswick and Aldenham and the garages were simply not geared up (staff wise) to manage the extra work and time needed to remove/replace/repair them. Removing engines and gearboxes and replacing them with overhauled items from Chiswick was simply not practical with the DMS and repairs to units had to be undertaken "in-situ" which clearly was a big job in garages where staff numbers and skillsets were driven by remove/replace rather than repair.

Brakes were a particular problem as they wore out very quickly compared to the older types and lots of time was spent just replacing the brakes at much more frequent intervals. In later years special maintenance teams were set up in some garages to overhaul those items. I remember when I first joined in 1987 hearing about the "shoe shop" at Stockwell and had no idea of what it was until the engineers explained it to me! At the time I joined, many of the DMS's had gone having been replaced by Metro's and Titan's which didn't have those issues but the B20's soldiered on and lots of discussions subsequently took place to reduce staff numbers and ultimately close the shoe shop and redeploy the staff as the number of DMS's reduced.

It is also fair to say that LT specified "bespoke" items that were troublesome and once removed when sold on for further service reduced the maintenance required by the new operators who, generally, seemed happy with their purchases given the substantial fleets that some operators built up and how long they operated them for...

Last edited:

JD2168

Of these DMS Fleetline’s how long into service in London was it before they were withdrawn & quite a number exported to Hong Kong?

M803UYA

Merle Haggard

Established Member
When L.T. was being criticised for not being able to keep on top of the maintenance of DMS, Tomorrow's World devoted most of a programme to them. What a coincidence and it almost seemed like the presenter had been coached by L.T. Surely not, the BBC is independent.

The presenter was standing by one in a workshop and said 'L.T.'s overhaul process is very thorough and involves separating the bodies from the chassis. With these provincial buses it's impossible to do that'. What he didn't explain was why 'provincial operators' had given up separating body and chassis at overhaul in the mid-50s and it had been done mainly because bodies were then composite and took longer to overhaul than chassis. Once 'all-metal' bodies became standard, there was no need.

It puzzled me that, in the L.T. body/chassis separation overhaul the engine and auxiliaries were left in the chassis, which was jet washed and steam cleaned (hope they banked off all the intakes and vents). Engine changes were on a different cycle, and were done physically at garages but by a team that turned up (from Aldenham, I think) in a special van with a built-in engine crane and a replacement engine.

But of course DMS were totally unsuitable for the arduous L.T. demands (e.g. Potters Bar town service) but perfect for 'The provinces' (e.g. Birmingham's Outer Circle running in heavy traffic for 18 hours a day) o_O

The objection to DMS body removal - or rather, refitting to. a different chassis - was,I understood at the time, that the body mount locations were not jig built so the holes might not line up.

Northampton Corporation /Transport had standardised on Gardner engined daimlers for years. For OMO they ordered Daimler Fleetline single decks with, naturally, Gardner engines. Daimler unilaterally changed the spec to Leyland engines so that L.T. could have the Gardners for DMS - there was a shortage of 6LXs. The CRG6Ls that came suffered engine problems lost the Gardner reliability..

M803UYA

When L.T. was being criticised for not being able to keep on top of the maintenance of DMS, Tomorrow's World devoted most of a programme to them. What a coincidence and it almost seemed like the presenter had been coached by L.T. Surely not, the BBC is independent.

The presenter was standing by one in a workshop and said 'L.T.'s overhaul process is very thorough and involves separating the bodies from the chassis. With these provincial buses it's impossible to do that'. What he didn't explain was why 'provincial operators' had given up separating body and chassis at overhaul in the mid-50s and it had been done mainly because bodies were then composite and took longer to overhaul than chassis. Once 'all-metal' bodies became standard, there was no need.

It puzzled me that, in the L.T. body/chassis separation overhaul the engine and auxiliaries were left in the chassis, which was jet washed and steam cleaned (hope they banked off all the intakes and vents). Engine changes were on a different cycle, and were done physically at garages but by a team that turned up (from Aldenham, I think) in a special van with a built-in engine crane and a replacement engine.

But of course DMS were totally unsuitable for the arduous L.T. demands (e.g. Potters Bar town service) but perfect for 'The provinces' (e.g. Birmingham's Outer Circle running in heavy traffic for 18 hours a day) o_O

The objection to DMS body removal - or rather, refitting to. a different chassis - was,I understood at the time, that the body mount locations were not jig built so the holes might not line up.

Northampton Corporation /Transport had standardised on Gardner engined daimlers for years. For OMO they ordered Daimler Fleetline single decks with, naturally, Gardner engines. Daimler unilaterally changed the spec to Leyland engines so that L.T. could have the Gardners for DMS - there was a shortage of 6LXs. The CRG6Ls that came suffered engine problems lost the Gardner reliability..
I do wonder how much of the 'not invented here' mindset affected the reliability of the DMS in London service. London Transport did learn from their mistakes with the introduction of the Metrobus and the Titan to squadron service. Those buses achieved longer than average service lives in London service (around 20 years), so this notion that London needs to have a special bus is complete nonsense. London were really the only buyers of the Titan - the Metrobus did find other ready buyers around the UK of course.

busesrusuk

Of these DMS Fleetline’s how long into service in London was it before they were withdrawn & quite a number exported to Hong Kong?
I think a fair number were withdrawn after their first certificate of fitness expired which was about 7 years. Some would have been withdrawn sooner due to accidents etc.

Hong Kong did indeed take a large number; Citybus, China Motor Bus (CMB), Kowloon Motor Bus (KMB) and Argos took them but the biggest user was China Motor Bus. They took over 200 with the first arriving in 1980 and the last in 1984. I first went to HK in 1994 and was pleasantly surprised to see some still in service. Quite a number of them gave over 10 years service with CMB. Second largest fleet was with KMB who took 100. Many of those buses gave 5 years service to KMB and then went on to give further service in mainland China. These large fleets proved successful in one of the most arduous operating environments and gave credence to the thought that it was LT not adapting to these buses rather than any inherent problem with the basic design of the Fleetline.

My pics of the DMS including some China Motor Bus examples can be found here which maybe of interest to some:

Roger1973

The Aldenham overhaul was based round the certificate of fitness - at that time, a CoF would be issued for up to 7 years, and as this was a legal thing, the timescale wasn't negotiable (although presumably operators could have voluntarily re-tested before the old one expired.)

Engine and gearbox overhaul (think that was done at Chiswick not Aldenham, although I may be wrong here) was based on mileage (which at one time would have had to be recorded clerically based on the scheduled mileage of each bus working / bus log cards recording short turns etc.) rather than time based, so a bus arriving at Aldenham might have had a replacement engine a month or two before, or might not be due one for another few months.

Of course up to and including the Routemaster generation, changing an engine was a quicker job compared to more recent generations.

busesrusuk

The Aldenham overhaul was based round the certificate of fitness - at that time, a CoF would be issued for up to 7 years, and as this was a legal thing, the timescale wasn't negotiable (although presumably operators could have voluntarily re-tested before the old one expired.)

Engine and gearbox overhaul (think that was done at Chiswick not Aldenham, although I may be wrong here) was based on mileage (which at one time would have had to be recorded clerically based on the scheduled mileage of each bus working / bus log cards recording short turns etc.) rather than time based, so a bus arriving at Aldenham might have had a replacement engine a month or two before, or might not be due one for another few months.

Of course up to and including the Routemaster generation, changing an engine was a quicker job compared to more recent generations.
Aldenham dealt with bodywork, Chiswick the mechanicals. I don't believe there were teams despatched from Chiswick to do engine changes; engines were delivered from Chiswick and the local engineers fitted them. The removed engines were then sent back to Chiswick for overhaul. Happy to be corrected but never heard of gangs of roving engineers doing such work. As mentioned above, an engine change on RT and RM buses (possibly RF's to?) could be done in a single shift between the peaks. Rear engined buses took considerably longer. I remember processing 16 hours pay for engine changes on Olympians at Norwood although I can't remember if it involved more than one engineer to achieve that.

DunsBus

Established Member
I would have to re-read the history books on which body was easier to remove, but it was the intention to separate body from chassis to aid the overhaul process. If indeed the MCW body could have met the spec so to speak it was interesting to note that once the decision was made to sell them, LT selected the MCW bodied examples as the first to go.
LT managed to get the body off DM1449, which had an MCW body. Attempting to do the same to Park Royal-bodied DMS1, however, almost destroyed it. I believe Park Royal, on hearing of this, then sent LT a rather stiff note saying "don't do it again".

pm2304877

On Moderation
I do wonder how much of the 'not invented here' mindset affected the reliability of the DMS in London service. London Transport did learn from their mistakes with the introduction of the Metrobus and the Titan to squadron service. Those buses achieved longer than average service lives in London service (around 20 years), so this notion that London needs to have a special bus is complete nonsense. London were really the only buyers of the Titan - the Metrobus did find other ready buyers around the UK of course.
And sadly MTL and later Glenvale ran these wretched Titans well into their 20s creaking and belching smoke arSound the streets of Liverpool. Merseyside PTE evaluated an ex demonstrator but got shot of it! Some 250 ran in Liverpool in the 1990s initially to replace tired 1970s Atlanteans and Fleetlines, only to become tires themselves!

The problems that LT had in maintaining them is well known but was partly of their own making, They had got used to the RT's and RM's going through Chiswick and Aldenham and the garages were simply not geared up (staff wise) to manage the extra work and time needed to remove/replace/repair them. Removing engines and gearboxes and replacing them with overhauled items from Chiswick was simply not practical with the DMS and repairs to units had to be undertaken "in-situ" which clearly was a big job in garages where staff numbers and skillsets were driven by remove/replace rather than repair.

Brakes were a particular problem as they wore out very quickly compared to the older types and lots of time was spent just replacing the brakes at much more frequent intervals. In later years special maintenance teams were set up in some garages to overhaul those items. I remember when I first joined in 1987 hearing about the "shoe shop" at Stockwell and had no idea of what it was until the engineers explained it to me! At the time I joined, many of the DMS's had gone having been replaced by Metro's and Titan's which didn't have those issues but the B20's soldiered on and lots of discussions subsequently took place to reduce staff numbers and ultimately close the shoe shop and redeploy the staff as the number of DMS's reduced.

It is also fair to say that LT specified "bespoke" items that were troublesome and once removed when sold on for further service reduced the maintenance required by the new operators who, generally, seemed happy with their purchases given the substantial fleets that some operators built up and how long they operated them for...
I think the reason behind the MCW bodies going first was related to corrosion, MCW were poor at rust protection and thus DMS/ Metropolitans/ Metrobuses with their bodies were problematic, the Metropolitans were particularly bad. The Park Royal bodies were generally better built and had a longer survival rate. Attempts to save an ex Graham's of Paisley DMS were thwarted when the guys started taking the panels off and found out how bad the frame of the MCW body was.

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
As a Londoner, I'd just like to point out that West Midlands PTE were doing the exact same thing as LT in the 1980s, withdrawing Fleetlines after rather less than a full service life and replacing them with Metrobuses (of which most of them did 20+ years easily).

I believe the plan was for WMPTE to be Fleetline-free by the end of 1991, which if achieved would've meant that the DMS/DM holdouts at London Buses outlasting them. Of course, "events, dear boy, events" meant the West Midlands Fleetlines survived until late 1997.

I feel like this is conveniently forgotten in order to paint LT as a dinosaur organisation. :lol:

DunsBus

Established Member
I think the reason behind the MCW bodies going first was related to corrosion, MCW were poor at rust protection and thus DMS/ Metropolitans/ Metrobuses with their bodies were problematic, the Metropolitans were particularly bad. The Park Royal bodies were generally better built and had a longer survival rate. Attempts to save an ex Graham's of Paisley DMS were thwarted when the guys started taking the panels off and found out how bad the frame of the MCW body was.
Not just confined to London, either.
Busways inherited eighty Fleetlines from Tyne & Wear PTE, forty with Alexander bodies new in 1977 and forty with MCW bodies new in 1979. The MCW examples despite being younger all went first between 1991 and 1993, with most of them going for scrap; by contrast a few of the Alexander ones lasted until 1998.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Not just confined to London, either.
Busways inherited eighty Fleetlines from Tyne & Wear PTE, forty with Alexander bodies new in 1977 and forty with MCW bodies new in 1979. The MCW examples despite being younger all went first between 1991 and 1993, with most of them going for scrap; by contrast a few of the Alexander ones lasted until 1998.

If you have ever taken a panel off even a slightly ageing Met Cam d.d. body and looked at the stress panels (or what's left of them) you will know why they went first

Aldenham dealt with bodywork, Chiswick the mechanicals. I don't believe there were teams despatched from Chiswick to do engine changes; engines were delivered from Chiswick and the local engineers fitted them. The removed engines were then sent back to Chiswick for overhaul. Happy to be corrected but never heard of gangs of roving engineers doing such work. As mentioned above, an engine change on RT and RM buses (possibly RF's to?) could be done in a single shift between the peaks. Rear engined buses took considerably longer. I remember processing 16 hours pay for engine changes on Olympians at Norwood although I can't remember if it involved more than one engineer to achieve that.

My evidence for the roving team was anecdotal. I know someone who worked at an ex Tilling group company as 'running shift fitter'. Because of better pay, he moved to an L.T. garage into a similar job. He was surprised that his duties at the latter were much less demanding and cited the crew turning up to do an engine change as an example of the difference. He got bored by just doing oil checks and brake adjusts and went back. We are talking the 1970s.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.