• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

History of Class 450101

Status
Not open for further replies.

lxfe_mxtterz

Hi all,

Please let's not let this descend into (yet another) debate about whether ghosts are real or not, but I have been reading about how Class 450101 is supposedly haunted by a girl who was killed by it.

I also note that the unit was damaged prior to entering service, but can't find much information about this. Are the two incidents connected in any way?

Disregarding the legitimacy of whether there is an actual ghost, is anybody able to give an overview of the history of 450101, and this supposed "haunting"?

Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
Please clarify - is this a Desiro unit operated by SWR?

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Reverse searching it on Google (search term ["450101" train haunted]) I found this forum post from 2009
Unit 450101 is said to be haunted, with more than a few traincrew seeing the image of a girl who was killed by it on board.

Also there's a section of line between Crowthorne & Wokingham near Broadmoor Hospital (YES THAT Broadmoor), where at least 6 drivers I know have seen & "hit" someone on the track at speed on that section, yet when they've gone back expecting to find a body or bits & pieces, there's absolutely nothing there.

They then felt the temperature in the area where it had happened drop sharply... :o

Needless to say they ran like....

lxfe_mxtterz

Please clarify - is this a Desiro unit operated by SWR?
It is, yes.
Reverse searching it on Google (search term ["450101" train haunted]) I found this forum post from 2009
That is where I found the mention of it being supposedly haunted which piqued my interest, though couldn't find any further history on the unit (aside from the unknown damage before coming into service).

Last edited:

adc82140

Established Member
I believe the unit was quite severely damaged in Europe on its delivery run to the UK and had to return to Germany for a rebuild. I don't recall the circumstances of this, and the nature of the damage though.

Big Jumby 74

I believe the unit was quite severely damaged in Europe
Likewise I don't know the specifics, but during their (Desiro) introduction over here, we were informed that 101 would be late in the planned delivery sequence due to it sustaining damage in/at, I assumed, possibly wrongly, Wildenrath?

Mzzzs

Likewise I don't know the specifics, but during their (Desiro) introduction over here, we were informed that 101 would be late in the planned delivery sequence due to it sustaining damage in/at, I assumed, possibly wrongly, Wildenrath?
From Memory it was damaged in Belgium by a derailment then sent back to germany for repairs then got used for some software testing on the test track before finally coming back to uk.

amazon1675

I knew a driver who had apparently seen a woman in the cab with him. One for 'Uncanny' ?

This unit was indeed derailed in Belgium on its delivery to the uk. Splitting the points when being formed up into the freight heading for the channel tunnel. (Being propelled from my recollection) The unit was basically on its side at 45 degrees and needed a lot of repairs to the bodyends of each vehicle. If I can remember certain bodyends vertical and horizontal extrusions were cut out and re-welded. It was taken back by road to Krefeld, where repairs were completed, then to wildenrath where it was used for slip/slide testing /commissioning and then delivered into Bournemouth depot- like all the others for acceptance.

Status
Not open for further replies.