• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HM The Queen...in a Class 365

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pumbaa

Established Member
She sat in the last carriage facing the engine for the 95-minute journey, which costs £44.40 for a first class ticket and £27.70 for a standard seat.

Good bit of reporting there! LHCS on FCC? Fantastic!

Drsatan

Established Member
Do you honestly expect a journalist to know what they are talking about :lol:

Especially a Times hack who can't tell the difference between a multiple unit and LHCS?? Honestly, I thought the Times was known for its accurate reporting.

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Meanwhile the "Royal" 67s are hauling trains for regular passengers :lol:

GodAtum

On Moderation
I wonder if anyone asked for her autograph or if anyone else was in the 1st class carrige?

jon0844

Veteran Member
I think the compartment was 'reserved' for her - although it's a rather small compartment on a 365!

She goes out and mixes with people more than a lot of people probably realise.

O L Leigh

Established Member
It's not unknown for Liz and Phil to travel on a regular passenger service when they go down to Sandringham. They just camp out in first class while the Royal Protection Squad prevent the riff-raff going in to say "hello".

Not a few Cambridge based drivers have been on Royal service over the years. Allegedly Phil likes to travel up front with the driver, however this would always be at the driver's discretion. I quite like the idea of ordering him out of my cab for being a distraction.

O L Leigh

jon0844

Veteran Member
HRH likes to visit the theatre incognito without loads of royal protection people, as I guess that if nobody knows then there's no real risk.

Not sure she'll be going to Morrisons though; in this climate, I'd be thinking Aldi or Lidl!

Dai.

Established Member
It's nice to see the queen going through what we do :D

Now if we can only get her in standard >:]

dk1

Veteran Member
Bless her. She often travels this route. We were lucky enough to have her travel on 'The Anglian' (17.00 Liv St-Nrw) a couple of years back as far as Ipswich. You wouldnt have known she was on board apart from reserving the rear most pair of tables in coach K & the odd member of security staff. She was charming to all.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Bit dissapointed to see even the Guardian had a picture of her on the front page. Is nowhere safe for us republicans?

delt1c

Established Member
Traditionally locos for the royal train had silver buffers and white tyres and in steam days a white cab roof. Did FCC do anything special to the 365? In BR days all locos were imaculate for the royal trains.
Interstingly what fare was paid and were the tickets checked. Read plenty about the savings over alternative transport but havent seen any mention of fares paid.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It was on Jeremy Vine this afternoon that the First class fare was paid.

Aictos

Established Member
Traditionally locos for the royal train had silver buffers and white tyres and in steam days a white cab roof. Did FCC do anything special to the 365? In BR days all locos were imaculate for the royal trains.
Interstingly what fare was paid and were the tickets checked. Read plenty about the savings over alternative transport but havent seen any mention of fares paid.

I don't know but I do remember one day when I was working at Hornsey when I was first starting off with the company that the 365 that we were deep cleaning that afternoon had to be spotless, I mean it had to be in ex works condition for some event. Never found out the reason but we all got a well done from above.

Interesting to note that the 321s did have a white roof when they came into service but have lost it in return for a more grey roof.

stut

Established Member
It was on Jeremy Vine this afternoon that the First class fare was paid.

What a waste of taxpayers' money. She could have got the bus for free, at her age :)

Good to see the railways getting a positive story. What I don't enjoy is missing my train because I've been held up by some massive motorcade and security ops blocking Pancras Road. Which has happened a few times now.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Good to see Her Majesty on the railway. Personally, I'd like to see more use of the Royal Train though.

Status
Not open for further replies.