• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Holborn and the Aldwych Branch

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
North Ealing and (soon to be removed) westbound PICC to District only at Hammersmith. Nothing at Barons Court now.

Well - I guess that at least N Ealing and Acton Town are not possible to disentangle! I didn't realise the ability of an eastbound District to get off the Picc at Barons Court didn't still exist; I presume there are ways of ensuring it never gets to be there in the first place...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Recessio

Is the aldwych branch used as a turning/termination point if services need to curtail early?

Enthusiast

Is the aldwych branch used as a turning/termination point if services need to curtail early?
The last time I was at Holborn on platform 5 for the Aldwych shuttle (just prior to closure of the branch) there was a long sand drag between the branch line and the junction with the northbound main line.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The last time I was at Holborn on platform 5 for the Aldwych shuttle (just prior to closure of the branch) there was a long sand drag between the branch line and the junction with the northbound main line.
There’s no sand drag (else how would trains get to / from the branch?)

It isn’t suitable for this purpose, the only way on to the branch is via a main line shunt just to the east of Holborn station. In recent times this as well has required the points to be blown over by a technical officer and then manually secured.

The only way off the branch is the same way, and trains would have to continue Eastbound, so it isn’t suitable for this purpose.

Enthusiast

There’s no sand drag (else how would trains get to / from the branch?)
There may not be now, but there always was when I used it in the late 1960s and again in the 90s. There was a single red light on a post in the middle of the track and looking past it you could see trains on the N/B main line. I often wondered how stock movements were carried out and simply assumed the sand had to be dug out.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There may not be now, but there always was when I used it in the late 1960s and again in the 90s. There was a single red light on a post in the middle of the track and looking past it you could see trains on the N/B main line. I often wondered how stock movements were carried out and simply assumed the sand had to be dug out.
Is there a chance you may be thinking of the Aldwych rather than the Holborn end, as the train used to regularly return to Northfields depot. I believe two times a week in the 1960s but latterly this move was done every night?

pdeaves

Established Member
Is there a chance you may be thinking of the Aldwych rather than the Holborn end, as the train used to regularly return to Northfields depot. I believe two times a week in the 1960s but latterly this move was done every night?
Or a 'second' track, one connected and one a dead end bay? It's hard to describe but the text on http://www.davros.org/rail/culg/piccadilly.html may help.

YSTrains

On Moderation
What is going to happen to the line now that the ex Northern line 1972 stock is being scrapped.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
What is going to happen to the line now that the ex Northern line 1972 stock is being scrapped.
Nothing initially. The proposed rebuild of Holborn Station takes the platform area as circulation space. The tunnels will exist but be isolated. It’s been discussed on and off throughout this thread.

Last edited:

Enthusiast

If that happened then I must be wrong. It was sixty years ago! I always thought it rather odd. Thanks for the correction.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I only had a very brief time at Earl's Court Control Centre in the early 1970s, but it was nightly Mon-Fri then.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Has the branch been abandoned operationally?
What exactly do you mean by this? The line is physically still there and traction current is able to be switched on, and off as required. There is a very limited number of people who are allowed to access the track on the branch.

Class15

On Moderation
What exactly do you mean by this? The line is physically still there and traction current is able to be switched on, and off as required. There is a very limited number of people who are allowed to access the track on the branch.
Thanks!

What I meant was whether the branch was still energised and potentially able to be run on.

Established Member
Waits for comments saying "what a waste, should have been preserved".....

Thought after parts removal last year they would have scrapped it by now to be honest

birchesgreen

Established Member
Well there is already a car of that class preserved, we could do with another one though so we have a breeding pair

Dstock7080

Established Member
Currently still at Ruislip although is being moved to another part of the depot for easier access, as Booths have just been awarded the scrapping contract.

Towers

Established Member
Waits for comments saying "what a waste, should have been preserved".....
I don’t think it’s an unfair comment, given the number of television and film appearances it’s made over the years! It’s arguably rather significant!

bramling

Veteran Member
I don’t think it’s an unfair comment, given the number of television and film appearances it’s made over the years! It’s arguably rather significant!

Not unfair at all. 3229 is the last remaining silver Tube train that was operational. For a generation of people this is more poignant than the museum’s 38 stock train. It is rather unfortunate 3229 seems to have got into a state during Covid, but nonetheless that was mainly cosmetic. Fact is it was in good condition, had been under a maintenance regime, and was a runner, with supply of spare parts seemingly not a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.