• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Holyhead - Wrexham/Chester

Fermiboson

I'll be making a trip on the Stena Line sometime soon, and for unrelated reasons, I will also probably hold a Heart of England rover, so I want to get around a bit in areas I normally wouldn't get to. I'll have to make an outward journey from Chester to Holyhead, then two days later the return leg from Holyhead to Wrexham, via the Wrexham - Bidston line and changing at Shotton (which as I understand is not valid on the HoE rover). What's the cheapest way to achieve this with flexible tickets? Is a Holyhead/Shotton <> Wrexham return valid via Chester as well?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flying Snail

Established Member
Unless there is something you aren't mentioning then sailrail tickets will likely be cheaper as they are little more than the normal ferry foot passenger fares.

Fundee on Tay

Railsails are tickets that include a ferry crossing as part of a ticket.

I recently took one from Dublin to Dundee (via Holyhead) and it was £57.70 with a Railcard.

If you’re travelling from Ireland or an Irish Station it might be better to book through Irish Rail.

poffle

There is no discount for Railcards on SailRail tickets.

Just looking Dublin Port Stena to Chester costs £44.70
Dublin Port Stena to Wrexham cost £43.70 ( routed via Chester)

Irish Ferries charge €46.00 for Dublin Ferry Port to Wrexham. ( Stena only do phone sales so you have to ring up to find the fare.)

There will be an additional charge for a shuttle bus to get to/from Dublin City Centre.

Tazi Hupefi

There is no discount for Railcards on SailRail tickets.

Just looking Dublin Port Stena to Chester costs £44.70
Dublin Port Stena to Wrexham cost £43.70 ( routed via Chester)

Irish Ferries charge €46.00 for Dublin Ferry Port to Wrexham. ( Stena only do phone sales so you have to ring up to find the fare.)

There will be an additional charge for a shuttle bus to get to/from Dublin City Centre.
There is Railcard discount on SailRail elsewhere, just not via Holyhead or Fishguard.

via Cairnryan Stena
via IOM Steam Packet
and via the Hovercraft/IOW shipping routes all allow most Railcard discounts as part of a through fare.