• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hope Valley Capacity Scheme updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tomnick

Established Member
Great effort, it certainly helped visualise the whole section. I've never understood (but hopefully people will tell me) the purpose of distant signals in the modern age.
The distant signals over the Hope Valley now are all either:

- Existing distant signals in the AB territory from Earles westwards. This is governed really by the distance between block posts, with IB signals roughly equidistant between Edale and Earles, it's all just a bit too far apart for functions to be combined

- Around the fringe between Earles and YROC (only on the Up – I'm surprised that one wasn't made a stop signal, but that'd have required what used to be Earles' Up Section Signal to have been converted to a colour-light to act as the distant for it).

- In tunnels, where you really wouldn't want stop signals
The two distants will be to avoid having an over braked section like there was before. Before there was a 3 aspect distant in the tunnel with full braking distance to the next signal, this meant when you approached it at a double yellow, you had a full braking distance to the next signal alone. By putting in an extra distant you avoid this and can be checked down to the second signal outside the tunnel without it being over braked (and potentially slowing down earlier than you need to).
There's a couple of quite significant risks with that arrangement too.

One is that you get YY at the distant in the tunnel, but dont react immediately (other than perhaps shutting off power) because of the distance to the red, then lose focus and only start braking when the Y comes properly into view, by which time it's too late.

The other, which I was always awake to at the similar setup approaching Hazel Grove and then again approaching Edgeley No.1 in the Down direction, is that it's YY 95% of the time or more, so you don't react appropriately on the odd occasion that it's actually just Y, with no further cues then until you encounter the red.

Both these are dealt with under the new arrangement.
I don't know how much the signalling should be changing things but freight services out of the Hope Valley seem to be going more quickly through Dore & Totley station Platform 2.
There was a 30/50 TSR over Dore West Jn for quite some time prior to the final remodelling. I've not had the pleasure of going since, but I assume that this has now been removed.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The distant signals over the Hope Valley now are all either:
- Around the fringe between Earles and YROC (only on the Up – I'm surprised that one wasn't made a stop signal, but that'd have required what used to be Earles' Up Section Signal to have been converted to a colour-light to act as the distant for it).
This is the point I was trying (not very well) to make in a previous post. A train catching up with one going into the loop could be following it much more closely, reducing the time the looped train had to wait.

Quite often a line with a mix of faster and slower trains has stop signals more closely spaced near where trains can overtake, because in these areas the faster trains will be catching up with the slower ones approaching the overtake, and going away from the overtake the slower one needs to get moving as soon as possible after the fast. Introducing the loop at Bamford they have done the second part but not the first.

Tomnick

Established Member
This is the point I was trying (not very well) to make in a previous post. A train catching up with one going into the loop could be following it much more closely, reducing the time the looped train had to wait.

Quite often a line with a mix of faster and slower trains has stop signals more closely spaced near where trains can overtake, because in these areas the faster trains will be catching up with the slower ones approaching the overtake, and going away from the overtake the slower one needs to get moving as soon as possible after the fast. Introducing the loop at Bamford they have done the second part but not the first.
Yes, I see what you mean, and you're right. In this case, the TPE would surely have closed the gap enforced by the Chinley - Edale section in the time taken for the stopper to call at both Hope and Bamford in the same signal section. The extra stop signal would at least let it get on the move from ES3 whilst the stopper was still in the platform at Bamford, reducing the delay to both trains.

On a slightly related note, the box diagram at Earles (as per @GardenRail's earlier post) shows ES3 *slotted by* York ROC. That implies that, if York takes the slot back, the signal returns to danger? Assuming that this isn't the case (which would require some sort of motor-worked mechanical slotting arrangement?!), should this actually say "released by York ROC"?

GardenRail

Yes, I see what you mean, and you're right. In this case, the TPE would surely have closed the gap enforced by the Chinley - Edale section in the time taken for the stopper to call at both Hope and Bamford in the same signal section. The extra stop signal would at least let it get on the move from ES3 whilst the stopper was still in the platform at Bamford, reducing the delay to both trains.

On a slightly related note, the box diagram at Earles (as per @GardenRail's earlier post) shows ES3 *slotted by* York ROC. That implies that, if York takes the slot back, the signal returns to danger? Assuming that this isn't the case (which would require some sort of motor-worked mechanical slotting arrangement?!), should this actually say "released by York ROC"?
If we take the slot back it sends an emergency alarm to Earles to replace ES3 to danger. It's an odd set up, with it being a semaphore rather than colour lights. In normal operation, the slot is in auto so that Earles can pull off as required. If we need to replace the slot, we would normally call them first, unless an emergency.

InOban

Established Member
Formal opening today by Huw Merriman. Usual BS in the press release

Killingworth

Established Member
Formal opening today by Huw Merriman. Usual BS in the press release
See; https://www.networkrailmediacentre....n-of-the-gbp-150m-hope-valley-railway-upgrade

Hope Valley Railway Upgrade completion offers better journeys between Manchester and Sheffield​

Rail Minister Huw Merriman will visit Dore & Totley station today (Monday 8 April) to mark the completion of the £150m Hope Valley Railway Upgrade.

Minister Huw Merriman will officially open the new and fully accessible platform at Dore & Totley station in Sheffield, the first time the station has had two platforms since the 1980s. The new platform is linked to the existing platform by a fully accessible footbridge with lifts at both ends. The existing platform at Dore & Totley has also been extended to accommodate 6 carriage trains.

The visit also signifies the end of the multi-million-pound Hope Valley Railway Upgrade programme, which began in Spring 2021 and has delivered various improvements to the line between Manchester and Sheffield.

Other key improvements of the Hope Valley Railway Upgrade include signalling improvements along the line to improve reliability and a new overbridge at Hathersage West, replacing the current foot crossing to improve safety.

A 1 km railway loop has been installed between Bamford and Hathersage, allowing faster services to overtake slower trains relieving an historic bottleneck.

Additional track has also been installed to the South of Dore & Totley station to relieve a longstanding freight train bottleneck.

Work undertaken on the recent closure of the line from 16-25 March saw track installation and drainage works finalised, alongside the final work at Dore & Totley station. Passengers were kept moving through alternative travel plans.

The Happy Valley Railway Upgrade has been delivered by the Transpennine Route Upgrade working with StoryVolker JV.

Rail Minister Huw Merriman said:

“I am delighted to be in Sheffield today to mark the completion of the Hope Valley Railway Upgrade – another project delivered which demonstrates our continued commitment to improving transport in the North of England.

“This Government funded scheme means passengers will now benefit from improved reliability and accessibility when travelling between Sheffield and Manchester.

“The upgrade is just one of hundreds we’re delivering, with more to come as part of our Network North plan made possible by reallocated HS2 funding – carrying out even further upgrades on this vital line, including electrification, to cut journey times and improve capacity for thousands of passengers.”

Neil Holm, Managing Director of TRU said:

“The completion of the Hope Valley Railway Upgrade is a great step for train travel in the North, and I’m thrilled to be able to make it official alongside the Rail Minister, Huw Merriman, at Dore & Totley today.

“After three years of hard work and planning, passengers between Manchester and Sheffield can enjoy a much-improved railway.”

Ben Shaw, Sponsor for the Hope Valley Railway Upgrade said:

“We’re delighted to be able to invite the Rail Minister to Dore & Totley to celebrate the completion of the programme.

“The Hope Valley Railway Upgrade team worked tirelessly to deliver these upgrades, that will ensure improved rail services between Manchester and Sheffield.

“I’d like to thank all of our passengers and residents along the route for their patience and support as we carried out these essential upgrades.”
Note Happy Valley, my highlighting!

No, more trains, no significantly quicker trains.

Top 4 destinations from Sheffield, ORR estimates 2022-23

Manchester 442k
London 342k
Leeds 318k
Doncaster 247k

Who notices at Westminster and in Whitehall?

Last edited:

BrianW

Established Member
See; https://www.networkrailmediacentre....n-of-the-gbp-150m-hope-valley-railway-upgrade

Note Happy Valley, my highlighting!

No, more trains, no significantly quicker trains.

Top 4 destinations from Sheffield, ORR estimates 2022-23

Manchester 442k
London 342k
Leeds 318k
Doncaster 247k

Who notices at Westminster and in Whitehall?
I hope the Rail Minister had a happy time with no problems with the lifts or with the Rail Replacement Bus. Maybe a Ministerial Replacement ? Hopefully no 'Huskisson momentary lapse' but maybe a political landslide to come?

Killingworth

Established Member

I hope the Rail Minister had a happy time with no problems with the lifts or with the Rail Replacement Bus. Maybe a Ministerial Replacement ? Hopefully no 'Huskisson momentary lapse' but maybe a political landslide to come?
He managed the stairs like everyone else. Hopefully the lifts will be operational more quickly than those at Dawlish. They seem to have taken 6 months.

It didn't rain so lack of seated shelter on the old platform wasn't highlighted as it might have been. The strong winds over the weekend had abated and it was quite mild. The new platform is remarkably exposed to prevailing westerlies!

BrianW

Established Member

Love it- train comes in loudly on 'wrong' (old) platform, deafening what was being said!

I note from Real Time Trains what looks like ONLY 1tph each way stopping at Dore, and (coincidentally reducing noise nuisance?) the down St Pancras- Sheffield 'express' 1F20 was delayed 10 mins between Chesterfield and Sheffield- https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C54824/2024-04-08/detailed#allox_id=0; while the Piccadilly- Sheffield 2S76 was held for 5 mins at Dore & Totley- https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:W33787/2024-04-08/detailed#allox_id=0.

Many a slip ...?

Killingworth

Established Member

Love it- train comes in loudly on 'wrong' (old) platform, deafening what was being said!

I note from Real Time Trains what looks like ONLY 1tph each way stopping at Dore, and (coincidentally reducing noise nuisance?) the down St Pancras- Sheffield 'express' 1F20 was delayed 10 mins between Chesterfield and Sheffield- https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C54824/2024-04-08/detailed#allox_id=0; while the Piccadilly- Sheffield 2S76 was held for 5 mins at Dore & Totley- https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:W33787/2024-04-08/detailed#allox_id=0.

Many a slip ...?

1F20 was already 9 minutes late at Chesterfield so another minute was no big thing.

2S76 is timed to dwell for 5 minutes at Dore to fit paths into Sheffield. It arrived on time at Sheffield.

You missed 10.14, 2S77, that left Sheffield 4 minutes late, due to leave 10.21 from Dore and was on time by Bamford after dropping the Minister at Dore.

All timings on the Hope Valley route will be adjusted but nothing major likely before June 2025 to allow the new arrangements time to settle in.

If you check this RTT extract you'll see that Manchester commuters are well served from Dore, up to 3 trains an hour at peak times; https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...8/0000-2359?stp=WVSC&show=pax-calls&order=wtt

Last edited:

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member

BrianW

Established Member
1F20 was already 9 minutes late at Chesterfield so another minute was no big thing.

2S76 is timed to dwell for 5 minutes at Dore to fit paths into Sheffield. It arrived on time at Sheffield.

You missed 10.14, 2S77, that left Sheffield 4 minutes late, due to leave 10.21 from Dore and was on time by Bamford after dropping the Minister at Dore.

All timings on the Hope Valley route will be adjusted but nothing major likely before June 2025 to allow the new arrangements time to settle in.

If you check this RTT extract you'll see that Manchester commuters are well served from Dore, up to 3 trains an hour at peak times; https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...8/0000-2359?stp=WVSC&show=pax-calls&order=wtt
Ok. The ex-London train was delayed before it reached Chesterfield; did it or the train from Dore go into Sheffield first?
Was the 'Ministerial' train, like the one seen on the video coming in to Dore, a mere three coaches? It seems a shame that the Minister can not be filmed 'welcoming' a six-coacher and/or one of the peak 3tph that justified the expenditure.
I note that the train between Dore and Sheffield is timed at 5-11 minutes (typically 7) and priced at £3.15 anytime return; so hopefully a sign of things to come in the fullness of time.

Killingworth

Established Member
Ok. The ex-London train was delayed before it reached Chesterfield; did it or the train from Dore go into Sheffield first?
Was the 'Ministerial' train, like the one seen on the video coming in to Dore, a mere three coaches? It seems a shame that the Minister can not be filmed 'welcoming' a six-coacher and/or one of the peak 3tph that justified the expenditure.
I note that the train between Dore and Sheffield is timed at 5-11 minutes (typically 7) and priced at £3.15 anytime return; so hopefully a sign of things to come in the fullness of time.

He was on the platforms at the station for about an hour and saw a good spread of trains pass on all lines, although he was talking to different people throughout so won't have appreciated the details of every one.

There is cushion in many of the timings to allow for accumulated delays that can potentially arise on routes passing through to/from Aberdeen, Glasgow, Cleethorpes, Norwich, Bournemouth, Penzance , Liverpool and many places in between.

Dore's still a small station but a great place to observe many trains that pass through.

BrianW

Established Member
He was on the platforms at the station for about an hour and saw a good spread of trains pass on all lines, although he was talking to different people throughout so won't have appreciated the details of every one.

There is cushion in many of the timings to allow for accumulated delays that can potentially arise on routes passing through to/from Aberdeen, Glasgow, Cleethorpes, Norwich, Bournemouth, Penzance , Liverpool and many places in between.

Dore's still a small station but a great place to observe many trains that pass through.
Apologies for my scepticism- it seemed possible that trains had been delayed for the Minister's convenience.
I'm glad he had time there and took opportunity to talk, and hopefully listen.
I considered he had a good record as Chair of the Parliamentary Committee before being minister.

Killingworth

Established Member
Apologies for my scepticism- it seemed possible that trains had been delayed for the Minister's convenience.
I'm glad he had time there and took opportunity to talk, and hopefully listen.
I considered he had a good record as Chair of the Parliamentary Committee before being minister.
If anything his train was delayed to ensure he knew what local users have to experience, but it wasn't enough for him to really notice. It just happened.

Killingworth

Established Member
The new layout has been operational for over 3 weeks and it's good to see services passing each other through Dore & Totley station. That's working well, only 25-30 years since planning for it started.

I have yet to see a freight service standing in the Dore loop (near my house) although it is being used. Work is continuing on the embankment side below Poynton Wood.

Dave S 56F

Could I just ask on rail U.K. forums about the hope valley capacity scheme updates thread would any member please be able to answer has the dore south junction and dore west junction chord been redoubled what is used for freight trains? or has it just been left single and only the lines through dore and Totley station only been redoubled?

zwk500

Veteran Member
Could I just ask on rail U.K. forums about the hope valley capacity scheme updates thread would any member please be able to answer has the dore south junction and dore west junction chord been redoubled what is used for freight trains? or has it just been left single and only the lines through dore and Totley station only been redoubled?
Only the lines through Dore and Totley station have been redoubled. The curve avoiding the station has been lengthened but is still single line. However there is an additional loop on the eastbound line for freight.

Traksy has the correct layout: https://traksy.uk/live/M+38+DORE+-22

GardenRail

Only the lines through Dore and Totley station have been redoubled. The curve avoiding the station has been lengthened but is still single line. However there is an additional loop on the eastbound line for freight.

Traksy has the correct layout: https://traksy.uk/live/M+38+DORE+-22
Though the loop at Bamford seems to get used more for the Hope Valley stoppers when they're late etc

70014IronDuke

Established Member
The new layout has been operational for over 3 weeks and it's good to see services passing each other through Dore & Totley station. That's working well, only 25-30 years since planning for it started.

I have yet to see a freight service standing in the Dore loop (near my house) although it is being used. Work is continuing on the embankment side below Poynton Wood.
Has timekeeping on the route improved noticeably at all as a result of the re-doubling?