• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hornby 2024 range

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
Does anyone have any ideas on what could be or what they would like to see on the Hornby 2024 range? I will say the same thing I say every year: bring back the NSE 4-VEP and class 466. Another go at the Eurostar in the original livery would be nice too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Big Jumby 74

As a former Southern man, I still think the BR all steel 4 Sub merits a model, and with minimal(ish) tooling changes (driving cars) the (SR pattern) 4 EPB could also come out of that, even if only in their 'basic' range perhaps? Suspect many modellers on a budget would be happy with a model that just represents the basics of what they remember, ie; cab front (driving car) appearance etc., not that I know anything about model making tooling you understand !

Taking this a step further, how about GE area EMU's, 306 etc., or (taking a nod from other sections of this forum) the Merseyrail old school units (28xxx/29xxx)? Was about to suggest the production era PEP stock, 507/508 etc., but is someone already making those, in N gauge perhaps? I'd buy a 00 gauge RTR unit of the SR/BR(S) era anytime, and do have an example of most that have been produced to date.

A tad ironic perhaps that those units that played such a major, if unrecognised, part in the lives of so many people (enthusiasts included) over the years are seen as not worthy of representation in the model form, although I do very much appreciate we are talking of an area/mode that in todays world has a very finite market potential.

AM9

Veteran Member
As a former Southern man, I still think the BR all steel 4 Sub merits a model, and with minimal(ish) tooling changes (driving cars) the (SR pattern) 4 EPB could also come out of that, even if only in their 'basic' range perhaps? Suspect many modellers on a budget would be happy with a model that just represents the basics of what they remember, ie; cab front (driving car) appearance etc., not that I know anything about model making tooling you understand !

Taking this a step further, how about GE area EMU's, 306 etc., or (taking a nod from other sections of this forum) the Merseyrail old school units (28xxx/29xxx)? Was about to suggest the production era PEP stock, 507/508 etc., but is someone already making those, in N gauge perhaps? I'd buy a 00 gauge RTR unit of the SR/BR(S) era anytime, and do have an example of most that have been produced to date.

A tad ironic perhaps that those units that played such a major, if unrecognised, part in the lives of so many people (enthusiasts included) over the years are seen as not worthy of representation in the model form, although I do very much appreciate we are talking of an area/mode that in todays world has a very finite market potential.
Given the economics of designing and manufacturing high quality injection moulding tooling, a number of classes of EMU could be represented for all but the most demanding purists by making various types of MK1 EMU bodies. For example, a 10 bay non-corridor compartment car occurs in classes 302/304/305/307/308, and in slightly modified form 418. There are alos DTS cars that with the ability to manufacture flat or raked fronts wouild anable most of those classes to be formed plus the 2-car types, (416/418). There are alredy bogie designs available (Gresley type trailer and motor), and Southern types. Roof designs for flat or raked fronts, the latter with or without Route indicator boxes and/or pantograph wells could also extend their utility.
In that way, there would be plenty of opportunities to model a '50s - '80s railway.

Established Member
Some modern stuff:
Avanti 805 - was in this years catalogue but pulled
TfW 231/756 - I think this is being developed with the GA units as I think they used one of the TfW units on the engine shed blog
Cross Country HST power cars - maybe 007 & 008?

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather

I agree but I suppose, the top-lights might be a bit of a challenge.

OT for this thread, but if Bachmann can produce a BR 2-EPB and 2-HAP; surely a 307 isn't too much out of the question?

Northerngirl

I doubt it will ever happen, but I'm still really hoping there will be a civity/avantra. The tooling could be used for a big variety of models so it's not to implausible

Iskra

Established Member
Hornby seems to have done a number of more modern models recently, and there's been a change of leadership even more recently. Perhaps we may finally see an Electrostar?

CR165022

Hornby seems to have done a number of more modern models recently, and there's been a change of leadership even more recently. Perhaps we may finally see an Electrostar?
I think a Electrostar would be more likely to come from Bachmann, considering they're doing a retooled Turbostar, although then again I don't know if that's even happening now as no development has ever been shown!

sprinterguy

Established Member
Given the time taken to develop new models, I suspect that it will take a longer period of time before the impact of those leadership changes begins to manifest itself through the product ranges. Though one of the faster changes I've seen suggested is a move away from the "big bang" annual range public announcement in January.
Some modern stuff:
Avanti 805 - was in this years catalogue but pulled
TfW 231/756 - I think this is being developed with the GA units as I think they used one of the TfW units on the engine shed blog
Cross Country HST power cars - maybe 007 & 008?
The black TfW class 67 they "postponed".
These all seem like decent bets: New liveries on existing products, some of which have previously been announced and then rescinded, plus a new model (The 231/756) adapted from a new tooling already under development for the class 755.

The use of Crosscountry's reliveried 'farewell' power cars seemed quite low key in the end, but Hornby would be missing a trick if they didn't produce them sooner rather than later, as it might stimulate additional sales and clear remaindered stock of their XC mark 3s.

RichJF

Going on Hornby's form & history, it'll be a few random steam engines that very few people saw/experienced. They'll rush it through QC & production with multiple errors & issues. Then the management will wonder why they made another annual loss as nobody buys it.

The other releases will be items that other manufacturers are spending lots of time researching/perfecting that Hornby will rush just to try & undercut the market.

Established Member
The black TfW class 67 they "postponed".
A Class 195 DMU.
A Class 310 or 312 EMU.
Maybe some black TfW mk4's to go with the 67?

Staying on the mk4 theme maybe a rake of the new LNER livery with 91.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
either a PeP, 321, or 319. these are incredibly under-represented, and i would probably buy 2 for my layout (due to it being 1990s wcml
A 314 or 320 would be quite popular too considering how many modern image Scottish layouts in OO there are. Mark 3 EMUs are one area that N gauge has OO beat with RTR 313s, 319s, and 321s!

Revolution Trains are manufacturing 313s and 314s in a variety of liveries for N gauge (pre-orders closed just last month), although sadly no 315/507/508s yet. At least I'll be able to model my modern image Southern terminus in N scale with a decent selection of rolling stock, but there's so many gaps for other areas and scales it's quite unbelievable.

Units in general seem to get short shrift in British modelling considering how much of a mainstay they are to the railway as a whole, although I do accept that steam and British Rail-era diesels rule the roost in modelling. But you do compare our MU ranges to much of continental Europe and Japan and it becomes quite embarassing.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Going on Hornby's form & history, it'll be a few random steam engines that very few people saw/experienced. They'll rush it through QC & production with multiple errors & issues. Then the management will wonder why they made another annual loss as nobody buys it.

The other releases will be items that other manufacturers are spending lots of time researching/perfecting that Hornby will rush just to try & undercut the market.
They do seem to like their one-off prototypes and relatively niche classes in recent years, especially if they have at least 12 wheels on the loco. Based on what I've read of reported of sales of the W1, though, they seem to sell well, and Hornby only seem to be jumping on a bandwagon of producing experimental locos that already has significant momentum from multiple manufacturers. It's more mundane, or region specific, classes - J15s, K1s and class 71s - that don't seem to have sold as well in the past decade or so, along with ill-planned sizes of production runs of things like mark 3s that more quickly sold out of appropriate motive power to haul them.

Hornby certainly do seem to have well documented possible evidence of pushing models to market to elbow out competitors - The Rapido 'Titfield Thunderbolt', Rails of Sheffield 'Terrier', Hattons class 66 and 'generic' 4/6-wheel coach range, Cavalex class 91 and mark 4 stock - but to be fair to them they have also taken the time to develop and bring to market some high quality models that have attracted excellent reviews, such as the 9F and recently released (and long awaited) BR Standard 2MT 2-6-0, with the latest tooling of the workaday Black 5, in myriad different versions apparently, still to come.

And I think over the next eighteen months or so, we might see a step change in how Hornby positions itself in the model railway market, though I couldn't pretend to know what direction that change might take.

Last edited:

Spartacus

Established Member
I'm still a bit surprised that nobody's yet done a 185 given their number and geographical spread, as well as age now. Admittedly the number of potential liveries is limited, but I'd have thought that would be outweighed by their usefulness to many modellers.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I'm still a bit surprised that nobody's yet done a 185 given their number and geographical spread, as well as age now. Admittedly the number of potential liveries is limited, but I'd have thought that would be outweighed by their usefulness to many modellers.
Would seem a bit of an open goal for Bachmann: They've produced Desiro 20m EMUs in the past and have a tried and tested 23m DMU chassis previously used under class 158s and 170s, so the relevant corporate knowledge would seem to be there.

I suppose it depends if they consider there to be a viable market there - the units have been prevalent across the North for over fifteen years now, in two squadron liveries and a couple of more niche schemes (Initial First 'Barbie', Liverpool Capital of Culture).

Big Jumby 74

with the latest tooling of the workaday Black 5, in myriad different versions apparently, still to come.
A 'Glasgow Highlander' version has my name on it, albeit last I asked about expected arrival date, it seems to have been pushed further down the queue. Obviously didn't have the same sort of selling appeal as a purple WC did..!

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
I'd like to see class 119 and 120 DMUs (e.g. tooling enabling both front ends).

I'd also like to see Barwell adapt their class 117 tooling, to cater for classes 116 & 118. Although the Pressed Steel (118) chassis and body are, I believe, identical to the 117.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
XC power cars (regular no farewell)
Still waiting 185
WCRC Mk2 Aircons
Some modern, medium and large station buildings

Class15

On Moderation
It would be nice to see Hornby revive the 86s and 90s. Both would be cheaper than the other options (Heljan 86 and Bachmann 90) and would be popular.

E27007

I predict Hornby will focus on their "heritage" die-cast metal bodyshell locomotive range, they sell quickly with little discounting, and have considerable appeal to the senior modeller/collector. Die-cast Britannia / 9F / Stanier 8F / Black 5 are my predictions

Iskra

Established Member
I predict Hornby will focus on their "heritage" die-cast locomotive range, they sell quickly with little discounting, and have considerable appeal to the senior modeller/collector. A die-cast Britannia is my prediction
They do look very good, but a bit pricey for me even as a novelty purchase for large locomotives that look silly on my relatively small layout.

I was thinking last night that one of the new Network Rail Class 153’s might be an easy win for Hornby. Modern image sells well, anything Network Rail can be justified on most layouts, 1-car DMU’s are perfect for smaller layouts and also fit the seemingly-popular TMD layouts you see a lot of. I’d probably even pick one of those up myself.

fgwrich

Established Member
A 314 or 320 would be quite popular too considering how many modern image Scottish layouts in OO there are. Mark 3 EMUs are one area that N gauge has OO beat with RTR 313s, 319s, and 321s!

Revolution Trains are manufacturing 313s and 314s in a variety of liveries for N gauge (pre-orders closed just last month), although sadly no 315/507/508s yet. At least I'll be able to model my modern image Southern terminus in N scale with a decent selection of rolling stock, but there's so many gaps for other areas and scales it's quite unbelievable.

Units in general seem to get short shrift in British modelling considering how much of a mainstay they are to the railway as a whole, although I do accept that steam and British Rail-era diesels rule the roost in modelling. But you do compare our MU ranges to much of continental Europe and Japan and it becomes quite embarassing.
I get the feeling we'll see something Mk3 EMU based, though which one remains to be potentially seen!

foggy69

A 4-VEP with correctly profiled cab windows would be nice. I hope Hornby have listened when they produce their Southern and SWT liveried ones

The cab does look a lot better on the new version. The Southern livery is a worry though, but hopefully it will be sorted for the final release.