• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How busy have your trains been?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowLevel

Established Member
Loadings on the derwent valley line were healthy today in terms of leisure passengers but not commuters.

From my viewpoint at Duffield the EMR services during the day were pretty full with walkers and families but the services used by comuters such as the 16:57 from Duffield were not busy. Pre covid a steady stream of people would leave this train but today it was just a few passengers.

Looks like leisure travel is doing ok but people aren't using rail for work so much anymore

One point to note is that during the day EMR are running a train every two hours so this would have potentially made some services busier than with an hourly timetable.

Half term I think - that train is usually busy with college students, or it was when I last worked it a few weeks back. Have a look next week and you might see a different sight.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Coach J on the 1925 Kings Cross to Edinburgh is pretty much at social distancing capacity.

route101

Established Member
Avanti and TPE cross border services getting busier I noticed today.

infobleep

Veteran Member
My TOC is Driver Only, but a notice went up last year saying that Station Staff should not use whistles due to the possibility of Covid contaminated moisture droplets from the blown air.
No such instruction on SWR then?

Some TOCs were looking into electronic whistles, but there hasn't been much need for whistles during the low passenger numbers in the months of lockdown.
No idea. I was too busy ensuring I got on to the train. :lol:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
The Cannon Street and Slade Green loop trains continue to be pretty busy in the middle of the day, frequently around 50% of capacity off peak.

greyman42

Established Member
I travelled on the 1555 (16/04/21) Aberdeen train from Kings Cross to York. It was pretty lightly loaded but slightly busier than recent weeks.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Another TfL train into Paddington - a slight (but noticeable) uptick on passengers this afternoon from previous weekends, maybe around 50% of seats taken up in front coaches on arrival

birchesgreen

Established Member
My trains today between Birmingham and Nottinghamshire were all busier than they have been, approaching half full.

Timmyd

Peak Thameslinks on Wimbledon/Sutton still a lot quieter than usual. Plenty of seats in the declassified first without sitting next to someone, compared to what would normally be standing room only. The longer distance Thameslinks have looked quieter still. Peak Southerns to London Bridge plenty of space despite halved service, but getting busier. SE suburbans felt the busiest of all the services I’ve seen.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Peak Thameslinks on Wimbledon/Sutton still a lot quieter than usual. Plenty of seats in the declassified first without sitting next to someone, compared to what would normally be standing room only. The longer distance Thameslinks have looked quieter still. Peak Southerns to London Bridge plenty of space despite halved service, but getting busier. SE suburbans felt the busiest of all the services I’ve seen.
I agree SE subarban services have all seemed to be very busy. I feel though with the longer distance thameslink services, they may be carrying more people that they seem but becasue the 700's have so much capacity, they look and feel empty. They still defintley aren't that busy though.

ScotGG

Established Member
SE suburbans/metro are very busy at times. Frequencies really do need increasing. Then again as a "free" railway (open stations and no onboard staff at many stations) I wonder if going off ticket sales SE aren't seeing proper usage?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Everything picking up around Yorkshire and Lancashire. TPE was busy to Manc this morning as was the Calder valley this afternoon. Pic and Vic looked like pre-covid days.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
No 1 son went up to London to do some retail experience - lots of Xmas etc vouchers. Reports very busy trains on Thameslink from St Albans and standing on the Victoria and Jubilee lines.

Central London very busy - green spaces , pubs which could do outdoor service and so on.

Whatever you think (excluding Karen on Facebook) - I find this encouraging in all respects.

AJW12

Ditto to the above this lunchtime and afternoon as I was in and around EMR services in Lincs/Notts... train from Lincoln to Nottingham was 'covid full' as I call it (i.e. anyone else boarded and they'd be sat next to a stranger). Overheard a couple of the EMR staff chatting, talking about some of the Lincoln <> Nottingham loads being over 100 today; much busier, I've had half a carriage to myself before. All the NET trams with either some or little standing room only by the central section, Matlock trains seemed busy. Certainly heading in the right direction.

Combination of good weather, open shops and sort of open pubs/restaurants has made today I think one of the busiest Saturdays I've seen for a long time, definitely the busiest for public transport. Think there have been some complaints over evening services still being quite thin on the ground across the board (and concerns they'd be overcrowded), but from what I've seen, not too bad so far; the fact hospitality is only open outside and the temperature quickly plummets once the sun sets seems to mean a quieter home time rather than the warm evenings of September with mass exoduses at 10pm each night.

LowLevel

Established Member
Been busy in the East Midlands. Several Skegness services loaded to nearer 200 than 100. A class 153 was brought up from Eastcroft to strengthen an afternoon Robin Hood diagram and a came off shed for the last Worksop too. Matlock was also ad hoc strengthened. It has been much nearer to a normal Saturday than anything for a while.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
08.31 Epsom - Victoria today about 25% full. ( 5 car 377 )
09.40 Victoria - Ramsgate roughly 50% full ( was only on it as far as Whitstable ) ( 8 car 375 )
14.45 Herne Bay - Birchington about 30% full. ( 6 car 395 )
17.08 Westgate on Sea - Victoria about 70% full on arrival at Victoria. ( started from Ramsgate ) ( 8 car 375; did a walk through of front 5 approaching Victoria and loading consistent across all those carriages )
18.55 Victoria - Dorking about 30% full. ( 5 car 377 )

The gaps are easily explained: walked from Whitstable to Here Bay and then from Birchington to Westgate ).

Kite159

Veteran Member
Some busy trains in Devon today (Pinhoe - Exeter, Tiverton - Exeter)
Even the 159s heading to London were reasonable loaded tonight, although that might be just daytrippers heading home

trainophile

Established Member
Are they 3-car or 6-car to Southport on Miseryrail?

Sorry, haven't been back to this thread for a couple of days. Certainly the off-peak (now 3tph rather than 4) I have used are 3-coaches, but judging by the platform positioning on arrival at Southport I assume they are doubling up for the peaks.

It's looking like they could do with returning to 4tph at this rate.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
I was out and about today.

Train from Victoria to East Croydon with train going to Brighton was pretty busy, especially considering its a 12 coach train. A lot of people got on at Clapham Junction. East Croydon station had a solid flow of people.

Southeastern diversions via Redhill were also well loaded with most seats being taken on lots of services. In general Southern services were well loaded and some Thameslink service were.

Only quiet services were the Thameslink services via Redhill but I wouldn't be surprised if they were normally pretty empty to be honest.

Overall, I'd say encouraging signs.

Class360/1

Earlier at Colchester north today when i was trainspotting I counted 20-35 people getting on each train and 7-20 disembarking. Greater Anglia trains are really filling up now

Peterthegreat

Established Member
17.14 Meadowhall to Scarborough reported as full and standing on Northern's website. Hardly surprising as the usual three trains oer hour between Meadowhall and Doncaster was reduced to one today because of engineering work. Unfortunately it was only a two car......

Kite159

Veteran Member
Twyford - Henley on Thames was reasonably busy, only a 2 coach unit on a hourly service (I bet the driver must dislike all that sitting around at Twyford)

HST43257

Established Member
Local services out of Leeds at full distancing capacity, or slightly below, in most cases. EMR HSTs out of Leeds were fairly busy with enthusiasts, but that doesn’t count. Some XCs and TPEs are getting quite busy as well, but LNER expresses aren’t getting back AFAIK.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Local services out of Leeds at full distancing capacity, or slightly below, in most cases. EMR HSTs out of Leeds were fairly busy with enthusiasts, but that doesn’t count. Some XCs and TPEs are getting quite busy as well, but LNER expresses aren’t getting back AFAIK.

IIRC Sundays are the best day to sample an EMR HST out of Leeds, at least for daytrippers who don't live in that area

Saturdays departure times are 06:34 & 07:40 (using next Saturday as a guide), arrivals at 22:14 & 23:08
Sundays departures are 10:50 & 14:34, although the arrival which used to come in around 5pm [and in the days of LNER having HSTs used to get 'borrowed' to run a trip to Kings Cross & back] has gone (arrival next Sunday at 21:49)

(Although looks like next Sunday is the last Sunday they are operating from Leeds, at least going by RTT, so I would imagine it will could be extra busy)

HST43257

Established Member
IIRC Sundays are the best day to sample an EMR HST out of Leeds, at least for daytrippers who don't live in that area

Saturdays departure times are 06:34 & 07:40 (using next Saturday as a guide), arrivals at 22:14 & 23:08
Sundays departures are 10:50 & 14:34, although the arrival which used to come in around 5pm [and in the days of LNER having HSTs used to get 'borrowed' to run a trip to Kings Cross & back] has gone (arrival next Sunday at 21:49)

(Although looks like next Sunday is the last Sunday they are operating from Leeds, at least going by RTT, so I would imagine it will could be extra busy)
Yes, I was on the 1431 today from Leeds. First Class was at distancing capacity and Standard was close. Next Sunday will be busy because it’s the Toton diverts.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Yes, I was on the 1431 today from Leeds. First Class was at distancing capacity and Standard was close. Next Sunday will be busy because it’s the Toton diverts.

And also Kings Cross being closed might push some extra passengers towards the "slow" train to avoid a replacement bus.

james60059

SATURDAY 17th APRIL.

06:59 Nuneaton - London Euston (1A02 05:46 LIV - EUS) averaged about 15 per coach - 9 coach pendolino, although to be fair it was a quiet train even before covid.
20:20 London Euston - Nuneaton (1H07 20:20 EUS - MAN) seemed busier, averaging 20 per coach (departing Nuneaton anyway, although a good number did get off at Nuneaton too). This was an 11 coach pendolino.

Both the Piccadilly Line and Northern Lines seen healthy loadings but still enough space for distancing, although it was surreal to see Covent Garden and Leicester Square Stations quiet on a Saturday Evening. The tube from Hammersmith onwards to Heathrow Terminal 1,2,3 and 5 was quiet, in fact there was only myself and 2 others in the rear coach and even they had got off by Hounslow East. Coming back from Terminal 5, again it was relatively quiet but it had began getting quite full by time we got to Acton Town.

DannyMich2018

SATURDAY 17th APRIL.

06:59 Nuneaton - London Euston (1A02 05:46 LIV - EUS) averaged about 15 per coach - 9 coach pendolino, although to be fair it was a quiet train even before covid.
20:20 London Euston - Nuneaton (1H07 20:20 EUS - MAN) seemed busier, averaging 20 per coach (departing Nuneaton anyway, although a good number did get off at Nuneaton too). This was an 11 coach pendolino.

Both the Piccadilly Line and Northern Lines seen healthy loadings but still enough space for distancing, although it was surreal to see Covent Garden and Leicester Square Stations quiet on a Saturday Evening. The tube from Hammersmith onwards to Heathrow Terminal 1,2,3 and 5 was quiet, in fact there was only myself and 2 others in the rear coach and even they had got off by Hounslow East. Coming back from Terminal 5, again it was relatively quiet but it had began getting quite full by time we got to Acton Town.
Any idea of the loadings of the Crewe-Euston LNWR services at Nuneaton? I've not been Nuneaton for many months now and love to go soon shopping and spending a bit of time at the station. The Birmingham to Leicester/Cambridge ones which I sometimes use to Leicester are loading quite well now although of course it's only half the usual frequency at the minute so people are spread over fewer trains. It's a shame the Nuneaton-Leamington is STILL a bus (after 3 months now), pre Covid this was getting to be quite a well used service in the last few years with the opening of Kenilworth, Bermuda Park, Coventry Arena station and extension to Leamington increasing usage of service.

Status
Not open for further replies.