• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How busy have your trains been?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nunners

I had a couple that were nearly full yesterday on that route, it seems they need more capacity than they thought they would

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gordonthemoron

Established Member
DB aren't doing this in Germany, why are we? If people are wearing face masks, what's the problem? I had to drive to Newcastle at the weekend as LNER had run out of reservations, I hope I'll never have to do that again. If they must have reduced capacity, why not window seats only like VR in Finland?

Howardh

Established Member
Bolton, Manchester, London to Brighton, significantly busier on all trains than a couple of weeks ago. Euston appears normal, Piccadilly still has the top floor closed though, and the cafe at Bolton also closed. Hope those open up shortly.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Isn't the café at Bolton a Coffee House, a brand of WH Smith? A number of WH Smith outlets are closing permanently.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
My LNER Azuma from Edinburgh - London (just left Peterborough, next stop London) is “fully” loaded, in social distancing terms

takno

Established Member
My LNER Azuma from Edinburgh - London (just left Peterborough, next stop London) is “fully” loaded, in social distancing terms
As far as I can tell all LNER Anglo-Scottish trains are selling out. It's hardly surprising since a lot of them are full and standing normally, and they seem to be running about 1/3rd of capacity. The empty coaches just seem bizarre given that they have fully occupied every other seat in the coaches they let you in. Driving everybody off the direct train to fill up Transpennine services or sit on fully loaded aeroplanes doesn't seem like it will be helping much tbh

Established Member
I'll be doing intercity this weekend or early next week on EMR, I've been using LNER recently so it will be good to compare.

Interested to hear your thoughts, please do report back.

I am still concerned by reports such as @yorkie's regular updates and @Ianno87's update yesterday, and other's reports as it does still sound like loadings are worryingly low.

Yes likewise, although I’ve been cheered up no end by seeing definite “green shoots” over the last week or so. Loadings are still nowhere near where they need to be, but people are starting to return...

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
On a SWR service from Vauxhall to Wimbledon right now, weekday rush-hour in central London, and it’s pretty dead. This is extremely worrying if it continues :(

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Anybody have any experience of trains abroad in the last few weeks? Believe most European countries are back on a more or less normal timetable now.

Services in Norway are running on the basis of window seats only on long distance services and a reminder to "Hold Avstand!/Keep distance!" on everything else.

As a result services are pretty much running at the 50% capacity with the exception of Oslo to Stavanger and Trondheim to Bodø. Regional services are running at up to about 75% loading within Oslo and half in Bergen. This is off peak.

Then again, other than masks on planes, a few plastic screens on counters in shops and cafes and an encouragement to keep your distance, everything over there is quite normal.

route101

Established Member
On a pendo to Glasgow right now , fairly lightly loaded.Tpe 397 wasn't too busy down to Carlisle, though I was at front.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I counted 50 passengers boarding yesterday's 16:56 from Wendover to Marylebone.

I drove to Beaconsfield today for work reasons. M25 was very busy on both journeys, came to a standstill at one point both ways.

stuartmoss

The local trains are busy at home, between Horsforth and Leeds it seems almost back to normal through the day, although quieter at peak hours. The long distance trains seem to be the quietest. Last night I got the EMR 125 from Sheffield to Leeds, 8 carriages with about 5 people on the entire train.London Underground is WAY quieter than I've ever seen it.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Taken many trains in and around London today, it’s certainly not what it usually is, but it’s a lot busier than I expected and I think this is, hopefully, the start of a reassuring trend.

telstarbox

Established Member
Southeastern Metro is still maximum half of last year's occupancy in the peaks. No problem getting a seat.

Today I've done London - Manchester both ways with Avanti, slightly outside the peak. Maximum single figures in each (standard) coach.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I got caught up in the ECML disruption earlier today. The only option between London and Stevenage was to get the service from Moorgate. Full and standing upon departure from Finsbury Park, most passengers travelling all the way to Stevenage giving the new platform a full workout!

Thankfully no XC style rules on social distancing as god knows how people would have got home.

Ridercross

Had a similar experience to Trainophile on Saturday just gone. 1235 TfW from Hereford to Milford Haven was a two coach 150. Passengers poured out at Hereford and then we all piled on. Most seats full of passengers or luggage and standing by the doors. The security staff then refused to let passengers on at Abergavenny and Cwmbran. Finally thinned out by Bridgend.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Had a similar experience to Trainophile on Saturday just gone. 1235 from Hereford to Milford Haven was a two coach 150. Passengers poured out at Hereford and then we all piled on. Most seats full of passengers or luggage and standing by the doors. The security staff then refused to let passengers on at Abergavenny and Cwmbran. Finally thinned out by Bridgend.

Thankfully no security staff getting in the way at Finsbury Park. Seems London is much more civilised....

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Thankfully no security staff getting in the way at Finsbury Park. Seems London is much more civilised....

That was disruption though to be fair, and London doesn't operate weedy 2-coach trains :D

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
1002 yrk to kgx between Stevenage and kings cross:

Coach A: didn't walk through
B: ditto
C: 13
G: 23
H: 36
J: 31
K: 13 std /11 1st
L: 12
M: out of use

This train was "sold out" for this section between Stevenage and London.

Edit: As stated below, there may have been more people on this train than there would normally be, due to disruption the previous evening

Note also that you can easily get over 100 people boarding the non-stop 0957 at York; the non-stop isn't running and therefore the numbers are well down compared to normal.

Last edited:

Jamesrob637

Established Member
1002 yrk to kgx between Stevenage and kings cross:

Coach A: didn't walk through
B: ditto
C: 13
G: 23
H: 36
J: 31
K: 13 std /11 1st
L: 12
M: out of use

This train was "sold out" for this section between Stevenage and London.

Possibly not the fairest test ever given yesterday's well-publicised disruption. I think each coach would have had at least 5-10 "diverts" in it.

Last edited:

trainophile

Established Member
Came back from Newport to Hereford on the 1212 today, three coaches and a totally different experience. Plenty of bays of four available. That extra coach makes all the difference. Perhaps my tweet on Tuesday made them re-evaluate the situation with to/from Manchester trains. I wonder when/if they are going to reintroduce seat reservations. Worth buying an off peak return just for that, not that there's any sign of any Advances as yet.

trainophile

Established Member
Had a similar experience to Trainophile on Saturday just gone. 1235 TfW from Hereford to Milford Haven was a two coach 150. Passengers poured out at Hereford and then we all piled on. Most seats full of passengers or luggage and standing by the doors. The security staff then refused to let passengers on at Abergavenny and Cwmbran. Finally thinned out by Bridgend.

Hard luck if the Abergavenny and Cwmbran passengers had connections to catch, especially given the infrequent TfW service on that line anyway.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
2100 King's Cross - Newcastle on departure from KGX:

Coach L - 1 passenger
Coach K - 4 (1st ) + 8 (Std)
Coach J - 25
Coach H - 19
Coach G - 23
Coach C - 4 (unreservable coach)
Coach B - 24
Coach A - 11

Total 119

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
2100 King's Cross - Newcastle on departure from KGX:

Coach L - 1 passenger
Coach K - 4 (1st ) + 8 (Std)
Coach J - 25
Coach H - 19
Coach G - 23
Coach C - 4 (unreservable coach)
Coach B - 24
Coach A - 11

Total 119

12 got off and 8 got on at SVG.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The above train between Donny and York:

L/K didn't look
J - 16
H - 18
G - 29
C - 6
B - 25
A - 7 approx

Not too bad actually.
Also a decent turnover of passengers at intermediate stations, especially Peterborough.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
A peak TfL evening service from Ealing (Paddington to Heathrow T5) just a couple of stops westward (but mingled in with other commuters) was fairly busy. Nobody standing - unless they wanted to - but every 'socially distanced' seat taken. although the extremes of the train were quiet. Still lots changing off the very busy Central line terminators.

Seehof

Is coach C on an Azuma always unreservable? If so what is to stop someone just jumping in and sitting there?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Is coach C on an Azuma always unreservable? If so what is to stop someone just jumping in and sitting there?
Yes and nothing but you may be challenged by staff.

If you don't have a reservation for the service they may ask you to make one or leave the train. You can't refuse to leave the train if instructed to do so.

I have sat there when I have had a reservation but was sitting there to comply with Government guidance; I've not yet had a problem doing so.

They are not just checking for valid tickets but for a valid reservation too.

Status
Not open for further replies.