• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How busy have your trains been?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ham

Established Member
I did enjoy the idea of a train with 12 marriages. Please dont change it. Made my day

Maybe that's a way of increasing rail travel, most weddings would be over 10 people, so a lot of extra ticket sales...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

infobleep

Veteran Member
I did enjoy the idea of a train with 12 marriages. Please dont change it. Made my day
I had better change it because I got suspended for a week due to mistakes I was making.

Didn't improve my dyslexia but there were fewer mistakes on here for a time at least.

I actually use the Grammily keyboard spell checker but tech doesn't pick up everything.

Jimini

Established Member
At the ripe old age of 41 I finally made it down to Cornwall on GWR last week (Paddington > Newquay on Wednesday @ midday, and then Bodmin Parkway back to Paddington on Friday @ 1130). Not sure what the school holiday effect would have been as some areas seemed to have broken up by then, others hadn't, but both trains were rammed. Granted I have a return journey sample size of one, but en route my mind did swing towards some of @irish_driver 's posts in the past about sending five car trains down that way (splitting at Plymouth I think it may have been?).

I put my hand in my virtual pocket and travelled first class each way (in advance using SF), but the carnage in standard didn't look or sound like much fun!

Edit: the Dawlish sea wall portion of the journey was definitely worth the wait :D

RuddA

Travelled from Norwich to Edinburgh yesterday. Train was quite busy leaving Norwich with lots of luggage, the guard even moved luggage near the doors onto the platform before asking passengers to retrieve it and store it correctly. Delayed near Wymondham due to level crossing failure so a few left the train at Thetford as we were no longer going to stop at Ely, using the avoiding line instead.
Missed our train at Peterborough. Next Edinburgh train was very busy. My wife and 2 daughters all had to sit separately, I stood near the youngest until Doncaster. After Newcastle it was a lot quieter but people still sat in the vestibule even while half the carriage was empty.

Killingworth

Established Member
Travelled from Norwich to Edinburgh yesterday. Train was quite busy leaving Norwich with lots of luggage, the guard even moved luggage near the doors onto the platform before asking passengers to retrieve it and store it correctly. Delayed near Wymondham due to level crossing failure so a few left the train at Thetford as we were no longer going to stop at Ely, using the avoiding line instead.
Missed our train at Peterborough. Next Edinburgh train was very busy. My wife and 2 daughters all had to sit separately, I stood near the youngest until Doncaster. After Newcastle it was a lot quieter but people still sat in the vestibule even while half the carriage was empty.

Interesting points here. If a hypothetical carriage sat 100 100 people usually wouldn't sit down, many preferring to stand rather than sit next to a stranger. It's only when many are standing that luggage and clothing would get put on luggage racks and all seats taken.

Once more than 60-70 seats were occupied some would probably stand. TOCs want to achieve 100% seating occupancy - or over. Passengers prefer a choice of empty seats.

RuddA

Interesting points here. If a hypothetical carriage sat 100 100 people usually wouldn't sit down, many preferring to stand rather than sit next to a stranger. It's only when many are standing that luggage and clothing would get put on luggage racks and all seats taken.

Once more than 60-70 seats were occupied some would probably stand. TOCs want to achieve 100% seating occupancy - or over. Passengers prefer a choice of empty seats.
We were in coach C, the unreserved one, and every seat was taken. We weren't the only separated family.
In coach D with the cafe-bar there was even a set of table seats empty after Newcastle. I think people may have been more concerned with either moving or storing their luggage.

It was nice to see the at-seat food/drink service being used. They had to keep asking people not to keep luggage in the aisle. And also the frequent rubbish collection.

Killingworth

Established Member
We were in coach C, the unreserved one, and every seat was taken. We weren't the only separated family.
In coach D with the cafe-bar there was even a set of table seats empty after Newcastle. I think people may have been more concerned with either moving or storing their luggage.

It was nice to see the at-seat food/drink service being used. They had to keep asking people not to keep luggage in the aisle. And also the frequent rubbish collection.

Part of the problem is the free reservation system which leads to many seats being left unoccupied. I can hold my hand up for that. If I got to the station in time to catch an earlier train I'd head for the unreserved coach, as I would if I'd missed the train with my reservation.

The result can be a full unreserved coach and many available seats once the train has left the station from which the seat was booked. Trouble is it then becomes a game of musical chairs as seats fill up or become avalable at each stop.

There were days when a group of us booked separately and found ourselves dispersed along the train. We usually managed to find a group of unoccupied reserved seats so we could sit nearer together - leaving yet more unoccupied reserved seats!

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
Last Saturday I had a 2 car 158 on the 1725 from Exeter to London Waterloo. Full and standing.

infobleep

Veteran Member
This evening due to corruption I ended up on the late running 16:49 to Waterloo, which was skipping Woking.

There were a lot of people on the platform and they all boarded the train.

There were still seats available. Once at Waterloo I got the tube, as I has planned to go to Victoria. The Bakerloo line train wasn't busy but the district line was not rammed.

Later on, I got another district line train which was busy and terminated short at Tower Hill. It was busy but I got a seat. What I should have done was alight at the stop before, Monument as I missed the next train to Aldgate East, whilst changing platforms.

I stood on the next tube train as it was only going 1 stop.

Later I got a tube from Aldgate East and got lucky. It wasn't too busy.

I then got a train from Victoria to Clapham Junction, this 22:24 was reasonably busy but I got a seat.

I then ended up at Clapham Junction to find the next train towards Woking starting short.

Turns out the emergency services were dealing with an incident. Thoughts to all those involved.

So as not all fast trains stop at Clapham Junction, I decided to go to Waterloo. I boarded the 22:42, which was running late and not stopping at Queenstown Road (Battersea) owing to some signalling fault. The info system also wasn't working correctly on the train it was in reverse order.

This train wasn't too busy. I'd wanted to get the 22:30, which doesn't stop at Clapham Junction but does stop at Woking.

This train was packed with people sitting on the floor. However, after I used the disabled loo, there was one seat free so I took it. After being on the train for a while, they announced a train to Basingstoke. A lot of people got off. Amazing how many were going to Woking or maybe stations southwest of.

It picked up more people at Clapham Junction but still enough space.

As it turns out I could have waited at Clapham Junction but I wasn't to know that.

After maybe an hour or more from my arrival, the guard said it was cancelled. As the 23:00 was starting short, there were no more trains south of Guildford.

So I waited on the platform as I was going to Guildford. There was a train to Basingstoke, which must have been diverted. Ut had a platform number but said delayed. Cue to people missed it as there were station announcements for other trains but not that one.

I checked Real Time Trains and saw a 0:20 was on platform 2. Eventually, it was announced and it departed 36 minutes late.

I got into coach 2 and it wasn't as busy as expected it to be. I suspect some had made alternative arrangements. I then walked to coach 4 and still found it not that busy.

Interestingly the train I'm on has had all its stops cancelled between Wimbledon and Guildford on the online departure board, despite the fact we are stopping at every station between Surbiton and Guildford, via Woking.

I dozed on the train most people got off. Around 10 or so got on at Woking, into coach 4 of 8. They helpfully explained on the platform that this was the service Guildford as it has been removed from the board, owing to it being changed to cancelled on the system.

At least it was still running as there are people who have a night out in Woking and grab the last train home around! 1 am.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
Today I got the 17 35 Guildford to Clapham Junction service. All on time. I was surprised at how busy it was. It seemed busier than some of the off-peak trains during the week when there are 3 fast trains an hour to London Waterloo instead of 2 but maybe that's due to only 2 trains running and this being the faster of the two from Portsmouth.

I boarded in coach 5 of the 444. Not really any seats and people were standing but the guard said more space at the back

After stopping over a couple of bike wheels, I walked down to coach 8 and got 2 seats to myself. Lea's busy here just as the guard said.

I had hoped to get a checky unofficial connection at Clapham Junction but got held up by a late-running Exeter train so missed the 18:09 to Brighton.

Alas since I last checked the 18:23 train down to Haywards Heath was starting short at East Croydon due to a disturbance on the inbound service.

However, owing to Govia Thameslink Railway not employing enough staff, the 18:12 to Reigate was cancelled so there was no way for passengers to reach this train. So I ended up on the 18:39 instead. This was also very busy, probably due to people not being able to get the Littlehampton train at East Croydon.

Still, I happened to board at the disabled entrance and right in front of the loo was one free seat. A lady who boarded before me preferred to stand so I took it. Perfect. Quite a few were standing but I suspect there was the odd seat free elsewhere.

Quite a few got off at East Croydon. They could have got the train to East Grinstead which departed Clapham Junction at 18:28 but perhaps they just arrived in time for the Brighton train or that was really packed. Maybe this line is popular on a hot summer Sunday.

My alternative was to go via Dorking Deepdene on the North Downs Line but owing to train faults, even the services on that line were disrupted and running with delays. I imagine those trains would also have been busy. Although the 16:28 might face emptied out at Guildford, given it was going to be running non-stop to Redhill. Alas, with just a 3-minute connection to another train to Gatwick Airport, it most likely wouldn't have been much help but a non-stop train to Redhill would have been fun.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Today it was essential for me to travel if I wishes to be somewhere this evening and I got the 12:13 Guildford to Redhill service. In the back coach 3, I was surprised at how busy it was.

At least 20 people in the coach. Either way all had essential journeys or ignored the do not travel advice.

Once at Redhill I got the 13:01 to Gatwick Airport. In the back declassified section there were only 3 of us. Train very lightly loaded but it was only going to Three Bridges. There was a delayed train to Portsmouth Habour and Bogor Regis behind.

I hadn't expected to arrive into Gatwick Airport a minute early at 13:08 or for 13:09 to depart 2 minutes late. Thus I just missed the delayed train, delayed due to a signalling fault.

In typical fashion, the next train was 6 minutes departing late with no reason given. I suspect congestion. This next train, 13:18, was a busier train to start with, along with people with suitcases boarding. Easily more than 20 people in the carriage I was in. Probably closer to 30 people or more. I found a seat though near the loos.

I can't imagine all the journeys being made on this train were essential.

Sleepy

Established Member
Travelled on 0815 Penzance to Paddington. As it was 1st train to London today from Cornwall due to the strikes was expecting it to be heaving. Was fairly reasonable until Exeter when it became rammed, lost time during additional stop at Castle Cary as people struggled to exit train despite TM best efforts on PA. On arrival at Paddington (around 1400) the concourse was absolutely heaving !! (It looked far worse than any evening peak pre-covid) Obviously many of those due to travel tommorow leaving earlier as well as some of those that decided to give Thursday a miss. Expected Elisabeth line to be horrendous due to the tube strike but it was very good, busy but not many standing, expected lots on at Farringdon but not bad at all. Perhaps people assume it doesn't run when tubes on strike ??

Last edited:

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
St Albans to Kew via West Hampstead - as expected TLK was carrying displaced TfL trade from Mill Hill and Hendon etc , but all manageable. North London line very steady , despite disruption earlier in the day with stock access problems. i

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I caught some peak time Northern trains this evening and they have been incredibly lightly loaded.

It looks like a lot of people must be working from home on Fridays.

I had a bay of 4 to myself from York to Leeds and now a bay of 6 to myself on a Leeds to Bradford (only one person anywhere near me and I cannot hear any sound other than that of the train) and next will be a Skipton train...

Update: the Skipton train is much busier than the Bradford one was, however I still got a bay of 4 to myself after Saltaire and there are many more sears free than there would have been on such trains in the past.

Last edited:

davews

Today Martins Heron to Richmond. Pretty busy going up but car park virtually empty presumably because the first train was 8am. Coming back mid afternoon much quieter, only a dozen or so in my carriage. The 'only travel if it is absolutely essential, trains will be busier than normal' does apply today and Sunday. The tube strike probably made them quieter than normal, Richmond was certainly pretty quiet with only SWR and Overground running.

Killingworth

Established Member
It's impossible to draw conclusions from a handful of trains without knowing the full picture. Anyone wanting to get from Sheffield to Manchester this afternoon would not have had a routine journey - although there was a lot of good humoured stoicism on display.

Things going almost to plan with TPE due away at 12.11, only 2 minutes late and a Nova 3 in service with 5 cars.

Northern's 12.14 was only 2 cars and started 10 minutes late after late arrival but no problem.

EMR 12.43 only 2 car and left very well loaded at 12.56.

TPE 13.11 cancelled.

Northern 13.14 leaves on time very well loaded.

EMR's 2 coach 13.43 left at 13.46 leaving at least a dozen behind, some wanting Liverpool, plus the catering trolley.

TPE 14.11 was not in today's updated timetable - in reality a cancellation.

Northern 3 car 14.14 picked up all waiting and was very well filled, although room for more standees and a few empty seats for any who really wanted one. Like many I stood from choice.

TPE only ran 3 more of their supposedly hourly trains today, at 17.11, 19.11 and 21.11 (all being well).

If all trains had run as planned they'd have been lightly loaded. They weren't so the knock on effects will have given most users the opposite impression. The advice in the posters said 'Do not travel 18th and 20th'. It was a bit risky on the 19th too.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Isn't it yesterday and tomorrow that the do not travel advice applies, not today?
On SWR they are pumping out the "essential travel" only messages for the entire 4 day block. Even though yesterday was a near normal timetable, all be with a late start.

Certainly reduced the overcrowding on the 10:35 London train from Basingstoke (ex-Weymouth).

Salisbury side car parks at Grateley was completely empty at 20;40 last night, at least one vehicle in the Basingstoke side car park (although at 09:50 in the morning that side only had half a dozen vehicles in).

I guess office workers were working from home and leisure users were successfully scared away

infobleep

Veteran Member
Isn't it yesterday and tomorrow that the do not travel advice applies, not today?
The advice was for 18 to 21 I believe.

I also don't remember SWR giving do not travel advice for the day after the last single day strike in July, whereas GWR did. It's possible I missed it.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
On SWR they are pumping out the "essential travel" only messages for the entire 4 day block. Even though yesterday was a near normal timetable, all be with a late start.

Certainly reduced the overcrowding on the 10:35 London train from Basingstoke (ex-Weymouth).

Salisbury side car parks at Grateley was completely empty at 20;40 last night, at least one vehicle in the Basingstoke side car park (although at 09:50 in the morning that side only had half a dozen vehicles in).

I guess office workers were working from home and leisure users were successfully scared away
I didn't think to mention the pick-up and drop-off at Haywards Heath. When I arrives on Friday after 13:30 it was busy. Maybe because the train and/or others wdre late. I popped into the supermarket and upon coming out it was slightly less busy

infobleep

Veteran Member
This evening I planned to get the 19:12 Haywards Heath to Gatwick Airport service but as it was running with a 10-minute delay I popped into a nearby supermarket.

What I should have done was gone online to check if the stops were removed. They were and it departed 2 minutes late without me

So I ended up on the 19:21 to Clapham Junction. It was semi-busy. More so than the 19:12 would be and this has twice as many carriages. A lot more got in at Gatwick Airport.

The 19:29 Gatwick Airport to Guildford was starting short at Redhill anyway so I'd never have made it. I would have made the stopping service though and been just unofficially 27 minutes late. So Clapham Junction it was.

After the 19:52 departs the next service isn't until 20:27. The 20:27 to Exeter. This was quite full but one or two seats were free and I found one near the front in a vestibule as I had some bags with me,

This train was late into Woking to do a safety I section of the track but so was the 20:55 to Guildford.

This was only a 5 carriage 444 and it was rather full with all the vestibules having people standing. I had no choice but to board in coach 2 of 5. There were even people heading back down the train.

So it wasn't the case of everyone getting on at the nearest entrance to the barriers at Waterloo.

Someone on the train moaned about me having too many bags, I told them it wasn't my fault the train only had 5 carriages and they should complain to the guard

I added they don't run as many trains as they use to and there aren't as many passengers or fares.

A short time later they apologised saying something like they weren't being serious.

In all seriousness the train did need more carriages and sing shorter formed as standard, there was no apology from the guard but there never is for trains shorter formed as standard. Only for longer trains short formed. The result of course is the same either way when passengers wish to travel. It could be argued why should they apologise for something that is intended to happen.

Anyway I will try not to go that way too often.

Purple Train

Established Member
I took a return journey to the Sunshine Coast line last week (outward journey the day before the strikes started, return the day after). All the Elizabeth Line trains I took, plus the Central Line, were fairly well-utilised. The London-Colchester Town service (1136 off Liverpool Street) was extremely lightly loaded, as was the lunchtime train from Colchester to Walton (though not to the same degree). What surprised me was that the 1400 Norwich to Liverpool Street had pretty much all seats in Standard Class taken after Colchester, which wasn't what I was expecting for a Sunday afternoon.

boiledbeans2

This was only a 5 carriage 444 and it was rather full with all the vestibules having people standing. I had no choice but to board in coach 2 of 5. There were even people heading back down the train.

Yeah, recently, I did a few weekday trips on SWR on the Portsmouth Direct Line. I was surprised at how many 5-cars are running.

E.g. For 24th August, 3 consecutuve 5-car departures at 0853, 0904, 0919 from Guildford to Waterloo.

I believe the above are booked formations as they are also 5-cars for the last few days on RTT.

On weekends, there are longer trains throughout the day.

infobleep

Veteran Member
A friend was going to get an underground train from Liverpool Street around 17 t50 this evening but there was a queue outside of the station so they went to another.

Checking online I couldn't see any major disruption so it must have just been busy.

greeny11

Two trips on Avanti (and connecting services) this week - the connecting services, Meols-Lime Street-Wigan and back were quiet. The Wigan-Edinburgh and Edinburgh-Wigan services were full and standing throughout the whole time I was on the train. The outbound was a 9-car, which felt like a mistake to me, with only one unreserved coach and pretty much every other seat on the train being double booked, leading to the cancellation of all reservations. The train back was an 11-car, but still completely packed (with festival goers headed for Creamfields and Leeds added to the mix) - again, all reservations were cancelled.

infobleep

Veteran Member
On Friday I got the 13:04 Guildford to Waterloo via Cobham train. In the back carriage, there were some people. Maybe 10. More than I was expecting.

Of course, it picked up passengers on the route. It had an 8 carriage 455 class train, which is what I would expect.

This evening I got a train from Surbiton that was going to Basingstoke. The 20:00 service was in at 19:56, so early. To my surprise, as I don't often get this train, it was made up of 5 444 class carriages. I know one service formed of this rolling stock used to go to Alton. I ain't know if it still does. The train was busy, even in coach 2 but I still got two seata to myself.

Once at Woking I got the 20:25 train to Guildford. This had 8 carriages of 450 stock. I was towards the front and it too was busy but none the less I got a seat.

Last edited:

railfan99

Established Member
Well, I think it was my busiest shift in a long time. Sold over 150 tickets, nearly £800 in revenue taken and over 200 people on both 3 carriage trains I've worked (with passenger churn more like 300-400). I feel like I've earned my wages today! The same was noted on other services on most routes. Everyone seems to be about today!

Apologies for the delayed reply LowLevel but as a foreigner, I commend you. Great work. Thank you for being diligent: it makes the Beeching fans' job harder.

If I may ask, which TOC and/or area do you work in, if not too confidential?

infobleep

Veteran Member
Must have been a ghost train! Presumably, you meant to say class 444? :D
Yes. I do remember correcting ut but that most have been in a message to a friend and not here.

Today I got the late running 13:34 Guildford to Clapham Junction. I'm glad it was late as if have missed it. The train was fairly busy but I got 2 seats to myself.

at Clapham, Junction I decided to travel on the West London Lone and picked up the 14:19 to West Hampstead. Although one could get on it was still fairly rammed to Imperial Wharf due to Chelsea fans. I don't know how close the ground is to the station but can't be too far.

I then got a seat, although it was still fairly busy. It only got less busy once we left Shepherds Bush.

Once I got to West Hampstead I got a tube train to Kilburn due to making a mistake. It wasn't that busy. I actually let three trains going south go last whilst waiting for this train.

I then went back to St John's Wood. Reasonable number of people at the tube station due to the Hundred at Lords.

This evening St John's Wood was packed with queues outside in no orderly fashion. After waiting a time I decided to follow the advice and go to Swiss Cottage. They said a 5 minutes walk but it's actually 14 minutes.

The train to West Hampstead wasn't busy but have some people on it. The connection at West Hampstead, 22:23, was delayed but I'd have caught it regardless. It wasn't too busy either but picked up some more people on route

Once at Clapham Junction, I got the 23:09. This wasn't busy at all towards the front. There was some boarding at Clapham Junction though and more got on at Woking, probably heading for a night out.

Status
Not open for further replies.