• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How busy have your trains been?

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I made two tube journeys today and the tubes were probably rammed by Jeremey Corbyn standards, aka not so.

So this evening I got the 19:06 London Victoria to Clapham Junction. I stood as I was going far.

It was reasonably busy but not rammed rammed

Then I had no choice but to get the 19:19 to Woking. To my surprise, there is only 1 fast train from Clapham Junction to Woking each hour and 2 semi-fast trains.

I'm rather surprised. Have they got something in for the good fill or Woking and even Guildford it is it engineering works? There are 2 other fast trains but they skip Woking.

This train is fairly busy but I got an aisle seat opposite there other people wearing masks. This being coach 2 of only 8.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Why was that tolerated?

Very good question. I was only going to South Parkway, so gave my seat to a lady stood nearby. I told the guy he was out of order, (the suitcase would have gone in the overhead), but he totally blanked me and none of the other standees said anything, so they must be happy to stand?

I also seemed to be speaking a foreign language when I tried to get through the vestibule as nobody was interested in moving from the door.

There's nowt as queer as folk!

Bonkers.

dk1

Veteran Member
Very good question. I was only going to South Parkway, so gave my seat to a lady stood nearby. I told the guy he was out of order, (the suitcase would have gone in the overhead), but he totally blanked me and none of the other standees said anything, so they must be happy to stand?

I also seemed to be speaking a foreign language when I tried to get through the vestibule as nobody was interested in moving from the door.

There's nowt as Queen as folk!

Bonkers.
Covid certainly seems to have made people even odder than usual, if that’s possible.

infobleep

Veteran Member
This evening I got the 17:11 Guildford to Redhill. It has a reasonable number of people but I got a set of 4 seats to myself.

We were held outside Redhill and arrived 5 minutes late. We were using platform 1 and a train to Three Bridges was in the way.

I then got the 18:07 to Horley sat in declassified first class. It wasn't busy at the back at all. Just 1 other person.

I should have checked the live departure board as trains were running late on the Brighton mainline and I would have made an earlier train at Gatwick Airport.

Anyway, the earlier train is an all stations to Haywards Heath so wouldn't have arrived much before my one.

the 18:16 from Horley to Haywards Heath was reasonably loaded but still enough seats. 4 to 5 people alighted at Horley.

I got a single seat by the disabled loo.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Some busy trains in GA on Saturday. Mainly on Cambridge - Ipswich services which were mostly 3 coach units. Noticed a good number attempting the unofficial connection at Stowmarket to a Norwich train to avoid the replacement buses between Ely & Norwich.

Waterloo - Andover train on Sunday evening was pretty much F&S from the start and remained F&S until Andover, a 3 coach unit.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Some busy trains in GA on Saturday. Mainly on Cambridge - Ipswich services which were mostly 3 coach units. Noticed a good number attempting the unofficial connection at Stowmarket to a Norwich train to avoid the replacement buses between Ely & Norwich.

Waterloo - Andover train on Sunday evening was pretty much F&S from the start and remained F&S until Andover, a 3 coach unit.
What does F&S stand for? Free and standing?

Tonight I'm on the delayed 19:12 Haywards Heath to Gatwick Airport. Only 4 coaches which I don't think is standard but it doesn't matter.

Plenty of space. No idea if that's the case when it next departs London Victoria though.

It's over 4 minutes last so I might be missing my Gatwick Airport to Guildford service. However, I now know I can travel via Clapham Junction as it is permitted.

In December or January, I spent 59 minutes at Redhill as I had mistakenly thought my ticket wasn't valid. I told staff this when asking if I could go via Clapham Junction and they believed me. Control said no when they asked even though my ticket was valid. Oops on my part. :lol:

A bloke has suddenly started plating an acoustic blues song on a guitar on the train. It doesn't bother me but it made me jump as he was behind me. He sounded reasonable though.

Got the 19:29 Gatwick Airport to Guildford with 29 seconds to spare before the doors should close. Good job it was a cross platform change. The train isn't that busy in coach 2 but perhaps slightly busier than fhs Southern branded train I alighted from.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Full and standing.

Yep. At least SWR were sensible and ripped out the Woking calls to reduce the number of Woking passengers trying to avoid a 450

Best I overheard was a couple lads boarding at Basingstoke in the centre coach complaining about the overcrowding and "lets go sit in 1st class" which was located at the front of the train. I suspect had they managed to get through the crowds in the vestibules they would have probably found no seats in that area as well (I suspect people thinking the chances that the guard making an appearance on a full & standing train will be minimal so treated themselves to a free weekend upgrade.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I got the 18:01 Guildford to Clapham Junction service. A 10 car train with It a far number of people but still space to get 2 seats to yourself in coach 4.

Once at Clapham Junction I had intended to get a train to Battersea Park by I arrived at the wrong time to do so, so I got a train to Queenstown Road (Battersea). This was the late running 18:41. That departed about 10 minutes late.

It was delayed due to late running train in front. I actually saw that train go through and it was delayed due to a problem currently under investigation.

A huge number of people got off the 18:41 at Clapham Junction. It was still fairly busy and I stood.

Later on, I was lucky enough to catch a late running 19:40 Battersea Park to Clapham Junction service. This being 2 minutes late saved me 39 minutes.

It had some people but I can't remember how busy it was.

I then picked up the delayed 19:52 Clapham Junction to Guildford service. Now, this was busy and you'd probably have to sit next to some other person in the back 4 coaches. It was only 8 carriages through.

I went to use the disabled loo but the loo seat was wet so I decides not to. The other loo was out of use and the door beside the guard's compartment between the two sets of carriages was locked open so one couldn't go between the two sets of carriages. No idea why that was required but the guard icidented to me it wasn't open. I was kind of hope it was temporary and they would gave been able to open it to let me through.

What was odd was that the door to the gangway was working.

I switched carriage sets at Woking. The train will thin out a little there.

I decided to stand rather than sit next to someone and besides I needed the loo. This I achieved after my departure from Woking.

pnepaul

12.49 Avanti Carlisle to Preston - Full and Standing
20.43 Avanti Preston to Carlisle - Full but not standing.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Today I got the 13:34 Guildford to Waterloo. Upon leaving Guildford there were probably several people in each of the carriages I walled past. I got into carriage 5.

I alighted at Surbiton.

This evening I got the 18:47 Surbiton to Waterloo, alighting at Clapham Junction.

I got a seat so enough space but there was someone who sat diagonally opposite.

I then boarded the 18:09 Clapham Junction to Epsom Downs. I was alighting at Balham. It was standing room with just a few seats free and then people kept coming on and on and on. No idea where they came from. Perhaps another carriage arrived full. I was in maybe coach 3. I didn't bother sitting as I was only going 2 stops but I stood far back from the door so I didn't get in the way.

Just so happened that was the aide to exit at Balham. Reasonable number aligned at Balham.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Took the 19:53-odd Euston - Birmingham LNR on Friday night from Rugby and it was quite busy throughout. I guess First Class had been declassified as every row of seats in that area was taken, and remained taken pretty much all the way to New Street, 2 people alighted at Coventry. That was coach 2 of 8 so who knows how busy the rear coaches would have been.

Maybe it's time LNR run more services towards Birmingham on Friday evenings, as it does drop to hourly as the Northampton - Birmingham trains don't run.

bramling

Veteran Member
I’ve been taking an early-morning GTR service into London this week, one such service being 387 in the current Covid timetable as opposed to 700 normally, but I got a different service this morning (and so suffered a rare 700 journey!).

Interestingly, both services were more *lightly* loaded than either the second half of 2020 or all of 2021 - indeed so far I have had a carriage to myself every day this week. There may be an element of other services having been reintroduced, however I am wondering if people who changed their travel arrangements, perhaps taking earlier services to avoid potentially busier trains, are now starting to revert to their more established habits and patterns. One of the reasons we had a high peak is there’s a limit to how early most people will get up in the morning given a choice, and it seems now “public health” is less of an issue, many people are now back to the position where a more crowded train is a price they are prepared to pay for not having to get up so early, or perhaps more valuably not having to go to bed so early the night before.

Steddenm

Used the 1221 (ish) Manchester Vic to Leeds service yesterday and it was 2x2 car Cl 195s and it was pretty quiet throughout. I was in the rear car and looking through it seemed to have only about 9 people in the rear two coaches. Also no ticket check on the train although the guard did wander through a few times. Oddly at Halifax a few got on and then promptly got off again a few seconds later, and there was no PA to say this is the Leeds service nor were the PIS working.

Leeds Station was also quieter than I thought it would be, and buses in and around the city are also quiet.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
St Albans City to Norwich today ......

0912 off SAC around 90% loaded , 1000 Liverpool St - Norwich reasonable but 1500 back very busy indeed (stopped at Chelmsford and Stratford - with what looked like West Ham fans a plenty) - 1721 St Pancras to SAC very busy with standing and "yellow" train loading indications. First seen for a very long time.

As for the tube - well the H&C and Met , - like old times - very busy. Commuters very evident and not just Primark shoppers.

Course the weather was fabulous , but we got the strong impression that the railway is very much alive. My judgement may be slightly impaired by seeing a 315 set bashing away on the "E" lnes - a good number of 321's on Anglia and of course plenty of intermodal freight. All 100% on time too.

Bishopstone

Established Member
Caught the 05.57 Bishopstone - Lewes earlier this week. Pre-Covid, when this was one of my regular commuting trains, there were maybe 12-15 of us early risers awaiting this service, but this week I had the station entirely to myself.

Lewes-Victoria: all of the peak flow London Bridge services have been withdrawn, never to return I suspect. Even so, on the 06.30-ish Up Victoria I had a ‘4’ to myself, as far as East Croydon. Pre-virus, there was standing from Haywards Heath on the (more frequent, and longer) Southern trains around this time.

Victoria line Underground to Euston, around 07.40: packed, and I let the first two trains go.

Euston to Manchester, 09.20: only 2tph currently, but despite my party being in carriage F, with the bulk of the reservations, occupancy was never more than two-thirds and I suspect the non-reserved carriages were quieter still.

Quite a contrast to some of the weekend crowding I’ve seen, and read about.

infobleep

Veteran Member
This morning I just missed the delayed 9:35 so I got the 9:51 to Woking, which was slightly delayed and further delayed into Woking.

It was reasonably busy if I recall. It had 8 carriages and aaa a 450.

Once in Woking, I had to get a train back to Guildford for an unforeseen reason. The train I got was the 10:13. It was 8 carriages another 450 and wasn't too busy.

On the other hand, the 10:35 to Woking was fairly busy but then it was only a 4 carriage 450.

Then I got the late-running 09:52 to Surbiton. Due to delays it was fast to Surbiton or I should say non-stop, it was slowed down outside Surbiton to allow the 9:34 Guildford to Surbiton to run ahead. That was using platform 1 and we were diverted to platform 2. I guess stopping at West Byfleet would have delayed the 9:59 further.

I could have got into Surbiton sooner on the 9:34, even though it departed Guildford a minute kate but usually, it is held to allow the 9:52 to arrive and depart first, so I didn't. Anyway, this 9:52 was rather empty or it seemed that way with its 12 carriage, 450, rolling stock.

No doubt useful in number earlier in the day but now overkill

In the evening I'd wanted to get the 19:27 Surbiton to Guildford but I needed to use the facilities and there just wasn't time to get a bus to the station in time. So I walked and caught the 19:44. Several or more buses came past but they wouldn't save me any time.

The 19:44 was busy. People kept coming off. Is say it was 8 carries and more rammed than Jeremy Corbyn's so-called rammed train. Could easily have done with 10 carriages if you wanted more people to be able to sit. If you don't care then it wouldn't be needed. It's a class 455 of course.

Even after they had all got odd it was busy with people standing, although some seats were free.

I got a seat in the front carriage so I could make a quick getaway at Woking for the next train to Guildford.

I wonder if this train was busy because there are fewer trains from Waterloo to Surbiton.

There are only 8 arrivals from Waterloo between 19:00-19:59. Between 16:00-16:59, there are 10. Same other off peak hours before 17:00, then ut reduces risk to 7.

I wonder if this is due to more people travelling in the morning and early afternoon. One fast train to Basingstoke and one to Alton are chopped in the evening.

During the day there are 6 trains to Woking from Surbiton, between 19:00 and 19:59, just 3 departures.

I got into Woking officially on time but as I got off it was a minute late.

I at least made the official connection to Guildford. This being the 20;13. Quite a few got off but not as many as at Surbiton. I boarded coach 6 of 8 and whilst fairly busy, no one was standing and I got a side facing away by the loo, with two between me and another person.

So all in all a mixed bag of business and hard to say if this is typical or if the number of services running at the times that do is matching when people want to travel. Only time will tell.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
First time I've travelled into London during the peak for a couple of weeks.

07:32 from Stevenage to Finsbury Park very busy, all seats taken and a few standing
Victoria Line from Finsbury Park wedged (like old times :D) and the service frequency appeared 'normal'

I'd estimate just 5% masked on the train to Finsbury Park, 10% masked on the Underground.

08:45 East Croydon to Huntingdon. Most seats taken to London Bridge, unsurprisingly very quiet after St Pancras. I was in coach 11 of 12.

1610 back had a few more going in (West Ham game) and got full and a bit of standing at London Bridge. I was in the (not) first in coach 12. Then 18:02 to Purley Oaks which had probably 30 standing in coach 3 (the preferred one for South Croydon and Purley Oaks.

miami

Established Member
Euston to Manchester, 09.20: only 2tph currently, but despite my party being in carriage F, with the bulk of the reservations, occupancy was never more than two-thirds and I suspect the non-reserved carriages were quieter still.

That's surprising because Iv'e taken the 1020 and 1120 in the last couple of weeks (unreserved of course because flexibility) and they felt the trains I took pre covid were less crowded than now.

infobleep

Veteran Member
The 10:53 Reading to Cheltenham Spa, 5 coach train was rammed. I mean properly rammed. Could do with 10 coaches. It even left slightly late.

If someone has a cold or covid on that train and they are next to you, good luck.

I wasn't on it though. I was waiting for the 10:58 to Bath, which had a 2 minute delay 2 minutes before its arrival.

Prior to this I got the 9:57 Guildford to Reading service. The driver and guard of this train have the luxury of a 20 minute wait at Guildford. The train starts at Redhill. At some point they will no doubt remove the 20 minute wait fbut for now, enjoy.The train was reasonably busy but I still got three seats to myself. Still enough space for more people.

As for the delayed 10:58, they added another 3 minutes onto the delay time.

30 seconds before its new departure time, another minute was added on. Then it was taken off again. It was now 11:03 and it was due. It arrived. It actually departed 11:04 according to National Rail Enquiries, although Real Time Trains says 11:05. I trust RTT more.

Now I was on the wrong part of the platform for coach C, so I semi ran down the platform as I was by the other set.

In order to ensure I wasn't left behind, I boarded in coach E and decided I could walk down. Most seats were taken. Someone offered me their seat but I reclined as I had one booked.

I hit what was either a queue of people or people just standing up. It was the latter. I got through them in coach D and then in-between coach D and C I had to squeeze past someone. I had a large rucksack as an evening bag.

Still, I got through and made it to the other end. This coach was also busy but like someone paying out a picnic rug at Lord's cricket ground, it was busy with people sitting down but not in my seat.

So I put my bag away and took my seat

Will be interesting to see if I buy anything on the train. Will depend upon which section the trolley is in. They will have fun getting last those standing up though. So I suspect the answer will be no. If they has a shop on board, I'd have probably made the effort to reach them. There loss.

DannyMich2018

On the Birmingham Leicester route I've notices a few services at weekends which seem busier than they were pre Covid. The 08.52 Birmingham to Leicester (Saturday) pre Covid usually was quiet but been busy recently. Also Sunday's 18.52 Birmingham to Leicester and 1950 Leicester (ex Cambridge) to Birmingham Sunday's seem busier than pre Covid.

Sat 19 March. 10:43 Farncombe to Guildford, which I believe had come from the coast. Most seats taken on an 8 coach 450. Lovely to see people travelling. Empty trains now = no trains in the future.

Failed Unit

Established Member
EMR on Saturday is getting very busy. 1030 Cleethorpes- Leicester left passengers behind at Market Rasen yesterday. I wonder if the hourly frequency will every happen as 2 car trains are not long enough now.

bramling

Veteran Member
Couple of TFL journeys this morning.

Northern Line from High Barnet dead at 0630, hardly anyone on the train for the entire journey (which makes one wonder if continuing the Covid early Sunday starts are justified given the current TFL financial situation). A later journey during the mid-morning was absolutely heaving, though loading may have been slightly increased due to a gap in front. All seats taken by Tooting Broadway, crush loaded by Clapham South - just like an old morning rush hour!

infobleep

Veteran Member
I get the impression the person next to me might be in someone else seat. Either way, they are fast asleep and clearly didn't join at Bath and the reservation is Bath to Paddington. I hope they didn't mean to get off at or before Bath. If they did, might be an expensive journey.

I'm on the busy 16:14 Bath to Paddington in coach H, which is in the front portion.

Whilst some people have found seats, people are standing in the vestibule area and into the ends of the aisles.

I'm managing to watch F1, which isn't bad considering I'm on a train. I'm sure that will change in due course.

First class has now been declassified and first-class passengers asked to put in a claim for a refund. I wouldn't mind some first-class travel but as I have a seat. I think I'll stay put

In the mean time iost enough reception for the F1 pictures. To be expected

Still the radio is working over mobile data. So I can hear it at least.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Now on the busy 17:18 Reading to Gatwick Airport. I wonder what these trains are like when there is only 1 train an hour to say Guildford due to engineering works.

Their is a couple of seats free in my section of the carriage by the disabled loo but one has a bag on it and more people are standing than two. So definitely more rammed than the train Jeremy Corbyn got that time.

I got a seat by asking if someone was sitting in it. The bag then removed as the answer was no. I may not be great at talking to strangers but I am when there's a train seat to be had.
:D :lol: :lol:

james60059

Saturday 19/03/22.

06:59 Nuneaton - London Euston was quite well loaded in standard class, standard premium and first class very quiet however (I was in SP with just one other passenger).

Victoria Line service Euston - Green Park had all seats occupied.
Piccadilly Line service Green Park - Hatton Cross full.
Piccadilly Line service Hatton Cross - Heathrow Terminal 5 was full and standing.

Later....

Piccadilly Line service Heathrow Terminal 5 - Green Park full load leaving but all seated.
Victoria Line service Green Park - Euston full and standing.

20:20 Avanti West Coast service London Euston - Nuneaton was quite full, even in standard premium. Didn't look at First Class.

Status
Not open for further replies.