• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How can i find out how much rail Freight traffic between Eastliegh and Fareham?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrian Harris

We are looking at buying a new home which sits very close to the Fareham/Eastligh line (Hampshire) . We can work out the nos of passenger trains, but how do i find out how many (Noisier) freight trains.
Any help appreciated
Ade

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
We are looking at buying a new home which sits very close to the Fareham/Eastligh line (Hampshire) . We can work out the nos of passenger trains, but how do i find out how many (Noisier) freight trains.
Any help appreciated
Ade
Go onto a website called realtime trains and type in the station, date and time.

When you see the list of departures from that station, go to 'DETAILED' and then click 'ZZ Freight services'.

Hope this helps :) .

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Any help appreciated
Ade
Welcome to the forums. For this sort of question, a site called real time trains might help. I’ve set up a query for a weekday showing freight services at Botley:

The majority of freight services appear to run during the working day, but Botley Aggregate deliveries and return occur in the late evening and very early morning. They run in an as required basis. Depending on your exact location they may of course be irrelevant.

A significant number of Weekday services shown are relatively lightweight rail treatment trains, they don’t run all year round. Many of the services only run as required, you won’t know in advance.

However, it is noteworthy that Eastleigh yard is the main infrastructure base for engineering work in a large area of the south, and that means additional trains at weekends, (many overnight), delivering and returning ballast and rails etc, as required by engineering worksites. They’ll be somewhat unpredictable, because they have to be tailored to getting the trains to remote engineering worksites, sometimes travelling in a roundabout route to approach in the right direction, and at an accurate time.

There are a couple of services on the list with an STP marker on the left, that stands for “short term planning”, they are examples of engineering trains that are planned only a few days or weeks in advance. The first one is a good example of a round the houses route from Brixton to Eastleigh via the south coast.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.