• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How customisable is SWT Desiro PIS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCR247

Established Member
On these trains, are the guards (or drivers?) able to type what is displayed on the exterior destination screen? Just wondering because I saw a Reading 450 at Feltham this morning with something I assume isn't what it normally shows (nothing bad of course - I liked it!)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
On these trains, are the guards (or drivers?) able to type what is displayed on the exterior destination screen? Just wondering because I saw a Reading 450 at Feltham this morning with something I assume isn't what it normally shows (nothing bad of course - I liked it!)

I think so. I've seen all sorts of things displayed on LM units, and for that matter Voyagers, e.g.:-

The Master Cobbler (on the 1813 fast EUS-LBZ-MKC-NMP)
Merry Christmas
Bah Humbug
Zzzzzzzzzzz (for not in service and going to depot)
etc

BcRIUhDIYAA6kY7.jpg

no doubt because it was the "present" of a 350/2 :)

Last edited:

GatwickDepress

Established Member
There's a joker at Bletchley who regularly has one of the 350s displaying Scottish-related destinations - Balloch Pier Head, anyone?

A-driver

Established Member
Used to be able to do it ok southern 377s. Then a few drivers got carried away with it. Now you can only show pre-programmed destinations and messages. Often the way these things go!

The Ham

Established Member
One thing that the internal displays need to show (if the software is smart enough) is the coach number as now it is common for Guards to say I'm i the X coach if you need assistance, yet few people are likely to know which coach that they are in.

transmanche

Established Member
One thing that the internal displays need to show (if the software is smart enough) is the coach number as now it is common for Guards to say I'm i the X coach if you need assistance, yet few people are likely to know which coach that they are in.
Southern's Electrostars do (or at least every one that I've been on has done so).

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Southern's Electrostars do (or at least every one that I've been on has done so).

On my few trips on Southern I've liked that they have things like "This is coach 4 of 12" which is particularly useful considering how many of their services divide en-route: particularly helpful for Northern monkeys like myself who aren't as familiar with that mode of operation.

I did once see a Miserytravel 142 at Halloween in Huddersfield with 'BOO' on the screen... As if it wasn't scary enough already!

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
One of the good things about the voyagers is the TMS controls much of the train environment, including temperature in each individual carriage, PA/crewcall to individual carriages, right down to each individual seat display which can be programmed at will. The auto announcements featuring the voice of joanna lumley were never used from virgin days but are still programmed in afaik (i used to use them in my RSM days). The TMS in the galley featured a keyboard ( cannot recall if there was one in the shop but i believe there was) and i was known to tinker with the displays to the amisement of the punters.

On the 185 the scan acoustic PIS is used which comes pre programmed, and unfortunately cannot be customised on board the train. All PIS announcements being preset and recorded. I can of course do my own announcements at will but i cannot customise the displays in any way

cjmillsnun

Established Member
But only when they work properly. And yes, I have found the infamous ''This is Coach Number 12 of 9'' and other bizarre miscounts on Southern & SouthEastern's Electrostar fleets as well!

You've got to love them... "Made in Derby" :lol:

Minilad

Established Member
My favourite Voyager related external display change was while waiting for a train back to Birmingham after a game against Man Utd. A Birmingham driver who shall remain nameless was given the task of driving an additional train back to Manchester from Witton for United fans. He changed to front destination indicator to read ANYWHERE BUT MANCHESTER

GatwickDepress

Established Member
But only when they work properly. And yes, I have found the infamous ''This is Coach Number 12 of 9'' and other bizarre miscounts on Southern & SouthEastern's Electrostar fleets as well!
Out of hundreds, if not thousands of journeys on Electrostars, I've only encountered that a few times luckily!

jon0844

Veteran Member
Used to be able to do it ok southern 377s. Then a few drivers got carried away with it. Now you can only show pre-programmed destinations and messages. Often the way these things go!
You can customise 317s displays however you want can't you?

It's surely the driver that sets them to flicker, scroll random characters, show junk, or just have every LED stuck on...

No?

Juniper Driver

Established Member
I did put "TAXI" up once and "HELLO" on working a set of empties to Waterloo.Passenger said to me he liked the "HELLO" trick.

yummy125

I was on a Rail-tour last year, a 159 went to Kingswear & showed this:

Another rail-tour a few years ago at Woking showed this on their platform board, 3rd Train

455driver

Veteran Member
I put Lundun on the front once, I don't think anyone noticed! :(

It takes a while to type everything in letter by letter but it can be done.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Hogwarts Express, Infinity & Beyond, There & Back, That's all folks have all appeared, along with Caerdydd Canolog, Abertawe, Casnewydd!

Stats

They're probably trying to outdo the station CIS when it has a fit and starts announcing "due to short platforms passengers for East Croydon, Clapham Junction and London Victoria should travel in the front 12 coaches. This train is formed of 16 coaches". I wish.

plastictaffy

I think so. I've seen all sorts of things displayed on LM units, and for that matter Voyagers, e.g.:-

The Master Cobbler (on the 1813 fast EUS-LBZ-MKC-NMP)
Merry Christmas
Bah Humbug
Zzzzzzzzzzz (for not in service and going to depot)
etc

BcRIUhDIYAA6kY7.jpg

no doubt because it was the "present" of a 350/2 :)

I know exactly who that was!! He was a Bletchley driver - went to drive for Northern a couple of days after this was done. Guards cannot program the PIS (or I perhaps wasn't shown in training!!) but the drivers can. On the 150 on the Bedford route, they are manual wind-round ones, with loads of diffeent destinations on. I once did a full round trip with "Shirley" showing on one end, and "Whitlocks End" showing on the other!!!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I spotted one in the bay the other day at Northampton showing "Polesworth".
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There's a joker at Bletchley who regularly has one of the 350s displaying Scottish-related destinations - Balloch Pier Head, anyone?

I think I might know who that is, too - I don't believe he's a BLY man!!

Last edited:

DasLunatic

I was on a 172 from Brum to Kidderminster, as we stopped at The Hawthorns, the PIS read 'The Hawthorns for West Scumwich Albion'. It was a matchday too - they were playing Wolves IIRC... who won 3-1 :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.