• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How do i appeal an LNER delay repay decision?

The train I took arrived into Leeds arrived about 15 minutes late, leaving me with a connection time of about 1 minutes which I failed to make, leaving me to take a service 30 minutes later (which was +6 itself). I just received the email back from LNER , claiming my delay was 21 minutes and therefore not compensable, which I'm not exactly sure how they calculated since I was supposed to arrive at 10 21 but instead arrived at 55.

Some TOCs have a section on their delay repay websites to appeal, which I cant seem to find , do I go straight to the rail ombudsman?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Contact their generic Customer Services team with the appropriate reference number and an explanation.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Was the initial connection LNER? If not, you should be claiming from the TOC that forced the missed connection.

Which train was involved? We can check before you file the dispute that you have a case.
Saturday 23rd KGX to Keighley made up of
0735 To Leeds , which was supposed to arrive at 0945 to catch the 56 to skipton, but I think I arrived at about 54 , and wasn't able to make it leading me to take me to the 1026 which arrived at 1055 (https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:W32042/2024-03-23/detailed)

Unfortunately I cant find the RTT page for my first journey which will make laying out my case harder

SteveM70

Established Member
Saturday 23rd KGX to Keighley made up of
0735 To Leeds , which was supposed to arrive at 0945 to catch the 56 to skipton, but I think I arrived at about 54 , and wasn't able to make it leading me to take me to the 1026 which arrived at 1055 (https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:W32042/2024-03-23/detailed)

Unfortunately I cant find the RTT page for my first journey which will make laying out my case harder

Is this it?

I suspect LNER's reasoning is that there was also a 1018 from Leeds to Keighley that you could have caught, arriving at 1042.

As such, the system has assumed you caught that rather than waiting for the following train.
Ah.

I didnt know about this service and just headed to the platform where the previous service was and waited for the next one. Is ignorance grounds for an appeal or should I just accept it?

island

Veteran Member
It doesn't seem to me like you have any grounds for appeal; they don't have to pay you in respect of (part of) a delay caused by yourself.

SteveM70

Established Member
Ah.

I didnt know about this service and just headed to the platform where the previous service was and waited for the next one. Is ignorance grounds for an appeal or should I just accept it?

I doubt it, especially as Leeds is one of the stations with the enormous departure boards that list alphabetically by destination station and shows the next train, so it would've been really easy to find out about the next train

WesternLancer

Established Member
Ah.

I suspect they would expect you to check a departure board or ask advice from staff or an information point as to what to do. You can't really assume the next train to your destination would necessarily leave from the platform that the last one did, after all - even though there is some logic to that.

Having said that I can't see any reason not to ask them for it to be reconsidered as you planned to do. They can always reply and explain their stance

I assume the next train could have been caught within the minimum connection time at Leeds (which seems to be 10 mins) following your actual arrival.

You can't really assume the next train to your destination would necessarily leave from the platform that the
I lazily assumed a 2ph service and saw the next service on the board for 30 minutes. Guess it's a pleasant surprise Keighley gets a better service than my local suburban London station

WesternLancer

Established Member
I lazily assumed a 2ph service and saw the next service on the board for 30 minutes. Guess it's a pleasant surprise Keighley gets a better service than my local suburban London station
Well, I can see it's easily done of course, but I guess LNER prob won't see it that way...

skyhigh

Established Member
Ah.

Problem with this argument is it appears the next train didn't leave from the same platform as the previous train, so whatever method you used to find the next train could have been used to find the earlier train.

Problem with this argument is it appears the next train didn't leave from the same platform as the previous train, so whatever method you used to find the next train could have been used to find the earlier train.
My method was I ran for the service, it left without me and I saw the same service listed on the platform board and lazily assumed their wasn't any other service

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
In this case, there are no grounds for appeal.

We all make mistakes, so just chalk it up to experience.