• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How do TfW think they can get 2-hourly CDF to Liverpool AND Holyhead through Wrexham?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Only semi-speculative this one...

(The short version, to save you reading this long post if you don't want the detail, is that the fixed TfW paths to Manchester and Birmingham don't seem to permit what TfW seem to have proposed).

We know that TfW proposed introducing a service every two hours between Liverpool and Cardiff from December 2022 and hourly Liverpool-Shrewsbury services. Meanwhile, there is no indication that the current Holyhead to Cardiff service (also every two hours) would be reduced. Although the Liverpool trains don't seem to have been written into the Train Service Requirements (TSR) as a through service, the December 2022 TSR suggests 2tph between Shrewsbury and Chester and 2tph between Cardiff and Shrewsbury.

Where the speculation comes in is when I try to construct a possible timetable for the route with these additions. I am making the following assumptions:
  • Birmingham to Wrexham/Chester/Holyhead services must depart Birmingham International at xx:11
  • Holyhead/Chester/Wrexham to Birmingham services must arrive Birmingham International at xx:50
  • Manchester to Cardiff/Swansea services must depart Manchester Piccadilly at xx:31
  • Cardiff/Swansea to Manchester services must arrive Manchester Piccadilly at xx:13
  • 2tph services should be scheduled at, as close as possible, half-hour intervals
Taking the asumptions regarding the Manchester services, we get a timetable a bit like this south of Shrewsbury (only selected stations shown to save typing):
Manchester07:31
-​
08:31
-​
Shrewsbury (dep)08:4009:0309:4010:03
Church Stretton
-​
09:18
-​
10:18
Craven Arms
-​
09:28
-​
10:28
Ludlow09:0609:3610:0610:36
Hereford (arr)09:3010:0010:3011:00
Pontypool & New Inn
-​
10:34
-​
11:34
Cardiff Central10:3111:0311:3112:03

As you can see, with these times Hereford would have a perfect half-hourly service (as do Ludlow, Leominster and Abergavenny although not all of these are shown).

Now, in order to take up its path into Birmingham, the service from Holyhead/Chester/Wrexham needs to arrive in Shrewsbury at about xx:30. That means a clockface half-hourly service north of Shrewsbury would look something like this:
Arrives at CTR from
HHD​
LIV​
HHD​
LIV​
Chester (dep)08:3609:0609:3610:06
Wrexham General
08:51​
09:21
09:51​
10:21
Shrewsbury (arr)
09:30​
10:00
10:30​
11:00
Shrewsbury (dep)09:33
-​
-​
-​
Birmingham International10:50
-​
-​
-​

This looks good until I try and combine it with the service south of Shrewsbury. The services departing Chester at six minutes past the hour do of course map nicely onto the xx:03 departures from Shrewsbury. Since they are the only hourly path available I have assumed these would be from Liverpool while the 36-mins-past the odd hours departure from Chester, running in the opposite hour from the Holyhead-Birmingham, would be the Holyhead-Cardiff. However, arriving at Shrewsbury at half past the hour, the service from Holyhead cannot easily continue to Cardiff since the Manchester to Cardiff service would only be about 12-13 minutes behind it from Shrewsbury. You could of course just use the xx:06 slot off Chester for services to Cardiff, with the train starting back from Holyhead in some hours and Liverpool in the others, but then you would not get hourly Liverpool to Shrewsbury services.

Northbound is even more problematic. The Manchester arrives at Shrewsbury from Cardif at xx:56, if I gave Hereford the same half-hourly perfection I managed southbound the marches stopper would arrive at xx:33, meaning it cannot depart towards Chester until xx:35 and would therefore miss its slot on the single line north of Wrexham. Even if you doubled the remaining single line section, the Birmingham to Holyhead/Chester arrives in Shrewsbury at xx:24 (odd hours), meaning it would have to wait over 10 minutes to run exactly an hour ahead/behind the Cardiff to Chester service. Even worse, it is closer to being exactly an hour ahead/behind the Cardiff to Chester service than it is to being exactly half an hour ahead/behind. As a result, while you can run an hourly Chester to Cardiff service southbound you cannot run hourly northbound as you have the fixed path to Manchester blocking one half hour and the Birmingham to Chester/Holyhead blocking the other. The best I have been able to come up with northbound is therefore Cardiff to Chester every two hours with a short working to Shrewsbury in the other hours (at 24/36 minute intervals at Hereford when combined with the Manchester rather than pure half-hourly).

Am I missing something?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Have you checked the timetable planning rules?

12-13 minute headway should not realistically be problem unless that part of the line is an absolute block section or it has a really large headway requirement - I've not yet come across a line of route with a headway that large, again I'm not sure, just speculating.

I think also that the timetable is unlikely to be that clockfaced, there are plenty of instances across the network where the timetable isn't clockface and there are some very long gaps between services and I suspect something similar if these services ever happen will occur here.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Clockface doesn't mean evenly split. A train at xx.03 and xx.07 every hour is still clockface.

Veteran Member
I can't see any way of maintaining an hourly interval Chester-Cardiff other than portion working (LIV-CDF+CTR-BHI, HHD-CDF+LIV-SHR).
This hits a problem with the Descendant of Gerallt locohauled service.

Any other permutation means the 2 CDF trains will be about 30min apart at CTR and from SHR will have a MAN-CDF in between them.
You might decide (I haven't followed the numerous discussions to know what is allowed) that the HHD would run with minimum stops south of Wrexham while the LIV would call all stations, which would put them further apart at CDF.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Clearly the single line is going to dictate the timetable in many elements. For arguments sake we will call Wrexham to Rosset the single line. In the up the occupation is 5½ minutes, call it 6 to make it easy, plus a 3 minute single line reoccupation margin (though you could probably reduce that at the Wrexham end as you would say you could depart north as soon as the southbound arrived at the station). In the down it is 6 minutes as well. The section effectively allows you 3tph in each direction if you went one in, one out, but even then that is a bit close to the wire in terms of utilising the capacity. You would probably end up flighting if you can as it makes it ever so slightly better, but not much.

Status
Not open for further replies.