• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How do you define a 'Good Service'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swimbar

So this morning with 3 cancellations and 3 diagrams being worked by 5 coach sets LNER are operating a 'Good Service'
Presumably there is no definition of a 'Bad Service'

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Swimbar

This mornings 'Highland Chieftain' diagrams involve a change of train at York with the 10 Coach train (2x5) running KX-York Return and the 9 Coach Train running Inverness-York Return. Somebody clearly using their brain to alleviate a problem!

'07:55 Inverness to London Kings Cross due 15:50 will be delayed at York and is expected to be 10 minutes late.
Will be formed of 10 coaches instead of 9 between York and London Kings Cross. There are no reservations on this service from York.
Additional Information:
A change of trains will be necessary at York.'

'12:00 London Kings Cross to Inverness due 20:06 will be delayed at York and is expected to be 10 minutes late.
Will be formed of 10 coaches instead of 9 between London Kings Cross and York. There are no reservations on this service throughout.
Additional Information:
A change of trains will be necessary at York.'

DarloRich

Veteran Member
So this morning with 3 cancellations and 3 diagrams being worked by 5 coach sets LNER are operating a 'Good Service'
Presumably there is no definition of a 'Bad Service'

at least the trains ran. Much better if they simply didn't bother...................

DarloRich

Veteran Member
That's not really the point.

No. That is absolutely the point. What is also the point is that LNER ran a train rather than not bother and leave people behind. That wasn't a perfect service but it was a good service for the people who got on the train who would otherwise have had to wait for the next one.

it would also have been a good service ( not a perfect one but a good one) if the train that did run ran to time.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
No. That is absolutely the point. What is also the point is that LNER ran a train rather than not bother and leave people behind. That wasn't a perfect service but it was a good service for the people who got on the train who would otherwise have had to wait for the next one.

it would also have been a good service ( not a perfect one but a good one) if the train that did run ran to time.

No, not at all. The OP stated that there were three cancellations, which is a degraded service, not a good one.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
No, not at all. The OP stated that there were three cancellations, which is a degraded service, not a good one.

i was concentrating on the 5 not 10 car trains that ran. It all depends on the metric. Clearly LNER have a different one to the experts here.

Swimbar

Interesting view!
So it's a good service if your train turns up in time.
The fact that others are cancelled or short formed doesn't matter to you?

mmh

Established Member
Interesting view!

The service indications are supposed to give an overall view of if there's notable disruption, not whether a single service is cancelled or altered. It's about the status of the network, not the status of my train.

As @Darlo87 says, "good service" does not mean perfect service.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The service indications are supposed to give an overall view of if there's notable disruption, not whether a single service is cancelled or altered. It's about the status of the network, not the status of my train.

As @Darlo87 says, "good service" does not mean perfect service.

I would consider three cancellations to be notable disruption.

mmh

Established Member
I would consider three cancellations to be notable disruption.

If those cancellations are on different routes at different times then three feels like it would be relatively un-notable in the scheme of things. I wonder what sort of percentage it equates to.

I'm not being an apologist for cancellations or short forms here, I just don't think warning all your passengers of disruption as a result of three cancellations is more helpful.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
If those cancellations are on different routes at different times then three feels like it would be relatively un-notable in the scheme of things. I wonder what sort of percentage it equates to.

I'm not being an apologist for cancellations or short forms here, I just don't think warning all your passengers of disruption as a result of three cancellations is more helpful.

That's a fair point. I assumed the OP was talking about services on the same route.

Swimbar

Living in Northern and Trans Pennine land complacency appears rife in Railway circles. When Northern cancel alternate services on the line i use it is 'minor disruption'. I do wonder when a 'Good Service' becomes a 'Poor Service'.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Interesting view!

Not really no. If my journey is fine that's all I and most passengers care about.

Like I said if there are 3 cancellations out of 5 I would agree with your opinion that the sevice was not good. 3 out of 300 I wouldn't.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Living in Northern and Trans Pennine land complacency appears rife in Railway circles. When Northern cancel alternate services on the line i use it is 'minor disruption'. I do wonder when a 'Good Service' becomes a 'Poor Service'.

The phrase bigger picture springs to mind! Also imagine the wibble you and others would generate if 3 cancellations were described as terrible service lol

Mathew S

Established Member
Degraded and good aren't binary options. A train delayed by 2 minutes is a degraded service but, I would suggest, still a good one.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Degraded and good aren't binary options. A train delayed by 2 minutes is a degraded service but, I would suggest, still a good one.

I'm not sure I would agree that a train arriving within the allotted five minutes is necessarily degraded. 3 cancellations on the other hand would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.