• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How far back are references requested?

OnTheWay

Hello all,

I would like like to ask if anyone can advise generally how far back you need to provide references for when applying for trainee rail driver and trainee signaller vacancies? Would appreciate an idea for all the different employers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bolero

First Group ask for your last 5 years, no minimum number of entries.
Many others seem to be minimum last 2 employments but no time period requirements.
Some just ask for your CV instead, so it might be sensible to have at least 2 employments and covering the last 3-5 years as a minimum

winks

It’s usually 3 years if you’re lucky. Most companies these days don’t go any further than 3 years - one will be your current/ most recent employer

Roger1973

3 to 5 years, or last two employers is standard, but I can't answer for particular employers (I have got as far as being offered a job - not a signaller - by Network Rail, but it didn't happen for various reasons, and another with a TOC - again not a driver - which didn't happen because covid. I can't now remember exactly what they asked for, and both were a few years ago now, so it's possible things have changed.)

I think in both cases there was more than one employer in that timescale. Not sure if they would want some sort of second reference, either from an earlier job or a personal / character reference if you've been with the same employer for more than 5 years.

Having said that, most employers will only confirm dates of employment rather than give a detailed reference that might lead to an argument (it is an urban myth that employers are 'not allowed to give a bad reference', but if they say anything that's untrue / malicious, they can get taken to court, so many avoid the risk by not giving anything but the basics.)

There was one job application I went through (and think it may have been a railway one) where they were happy to accept something from the tax-person that confirmed my employment history, rather than needing something from my (then) employer - you can (or could) get this sort of thing if you have a 'government gateway' account for income tax. but again this will vary by employer and maybe by role.

CoachB

Hello all,

I would like like to ask if anyone can advise generally how far back you need to provide references for when applying for trainee rail driver and trainee signaller vacancies? Would appreciate an idea for all the different employers.
For trainee signaller vacancies network rail don't ask for references.

If you get offered a job they'll ask for proof you've been paying tax for the last 3 years. They'll also guide you through the process of how to do it.

hexabyte

Based on my last applications for the following companies, i can give some insight.

GTR want 3 years full history
Southeastern want 5 years full history
Greater Anglia wanted 2 years employment history or 2 references, i cant remember which.