• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How far can I go on Thameslink on Oyster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comstock

I hope I'm on the right forum here, and as ever this is for when normality returns, not now.

Suppose I get on a Thameslink train at Kings Cross. I then go as far south as I can on Thameslink, get off and catch the next train and go as far north as I can, before returning to Kings Cross.

What are the northern and southern most stations?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ValleyLines142

Established Member
You can go as far south as Purley (which is in Zone 6), but also Merstham, Redhill, Earlswood, Salfords, Horley and Gatwick are now in the contactless zones, though special fares apply, so if you wanted to reach the standard Zone 6 cap I would go as far as Purley.

Furthest north I believe is Elstree & Borehamwood in Zone 6. I think on the Cambridge/Peterborough services they stop at Finsbury Park and then fast to Stevenage which is outside of the zones.

Shimbleshanks

You can go as far south as Purley (which is in Zone 6), but also Merstham, Redhill, Earlswood, Salfords, Horley and Gatwick are now in the contactless zones, though special fares apply, so if you wanted to reach the standard Zone 6 cap I would go as far as Purley.

Furthest north I believe is Elstree & Borehamwood in Zone 6. I think on the Cambridge/Peterborough services they stop at Finsbury Park and then fast to Stevenage which is outside of the zones.
Coulsdon South rather than Purley is the Zone 6 southernmost boundary.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
There’s two different answers to this, depending on whether you mean ‘TfL travelcard on an Oyster Card’ or ‘Oyster Card’ in its broadest sense.

Also, you won’t be getting a Thameslink train at Kings Cross and going south.

Comstock

There’s two different answers to this, depending on whether you mean ‘TfL travelcard on an Oyster Card’ or ‘Oyster Card’ in its broadest sense.

Also, you won’t be getting a Thameslink train at Kings Cross and going south.

I can't get onto Thameslink southbound at Kings Cross?

PeterC

Established Member
If using PAYG don't forget that you can't just ride all day, you need to touch out and touch back in at the end of each journey.
I hope I'm on the right forum here, and as ever this is for when normality returns, not now.

Suppose I get on a Thameslink train at Kings Cross. I then go as far south as I can on Thameslink, get off and catch the next train and go as far north as I can, before returning to Kings Cross.

What are the northern and southern most stations?
Unless you have a travelcard loaded covering all the zones travelled you will need to touch out and touch back in, not just cross to the opposite platform.

PeterC

Established Member
If using PAYG don't forget that you can't just ride all day, you need to touch out and touch back in at the end of each journey.

Unless you have a travelcard loaded covering all the zones travelled you will need to touch out and touch back in, not just cross to the opposite platform.
Oops, I think you have to touch in regardless on Thameslink, I was thinking of the Underground.
I can't find any downloadable maps on the TfL site that show zones any more.

matt_world2004

Established Member
  • You can use oyster as far south as Gatwick on Thameslink and as far north as radlet .
  • A zone 1-6 travelcard can be used as far south as coulsdon south and as far north as Elstree and Borehamwood.
  • A contactless card can be used as far south as Gatwick and as far North as Luton Airport Parkway.

BluePenguin

On Moderation

Oyster is accepted all stations as far as Gatwick so the OP could travel as far as there. Unlike Reading and Luton Airport Parkway, which are contactless only. Of course the Zone 6 cap is another kettle of fish.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Oyster is accepted all stations as far as Gatwick so the OP could travel as far as there. Unlike Reading and Luton Airport Parkway, which are contactless only. Of course the Zone 6 cap is another kettle of fish.

Yes, hence why I said it but special rates apply. I don't know what they are though.

Comstock

• You can use oyster as far south as Gatwick on Thameslink and as far north as radlet .
  • A zone 1-6 travelcard can be used as far south as coulsdon south and as far north as Elstree and Borehamwood.
  • A contactless card can be used as far south as Gatwick and as far North as Luton Airport Parkway.

Thanks , that's everything I need.

Ta muchly.

si404

Established Member
Yes, hence why I said it but special rates apply.
I'm pretty sure BluePenguin's correction was about the "in the contactless zones" and the suggestion that Oyster only made it to zone 6, rather than Gatwick - with stations beyond zone 6 contactless-only. I was going to post a similar correction when I read the OP.

---
For completeness, here's all the branches - pulled off the London's Rail & Tube services map - which shows PAYG availability

Last stations on Thameslink in Zone 6: Elstree & Borehamwood, New Barnet, Slade Green, St Mary Cray, Upper Warlingham, Coulsdon South
Thameslink stations in Zone 8: Dartford, Swanley
Thameslink stations where Oyster is valid but not in Z1-9: Radlett, Potters Bar, Mertsham, Redhill, Earlswood, Salfords, Horley, Gatwick Airport*
Thameslink stations with PAYG on contactless, but not Oyster: Luton Airport Parkway, Harpenden, St Albans City, Welwyn Garden City, Hatfield

*Potters Bar and Radlett zone B, Mertsham-Horley zone D, Gatwick zone E

Comstock

Thanks. Thameslink and Tramlink are about the only things I've never been on in London so I should be able to take both out in one go.

plugwash

Established Member
Is there a map that shows the zone 6 boundary as it applies to Thameslink?
Yes, the "London's Rail and Tube services" (previously known as "oyster rail services") map shows thameslink and shows the boundaries of the zones as well as the boundary of the PAYG areas for Oyster and Contactless. http://content.tfl.gov.uk/london-rail-and-tube-services-map.pdf

It seems on the South side you are covered on a zone 1-6 travelcard for all of the sutton branch and up to Coulsdon South on the brighton branch. On the north side you are covered up to Elstree & Borehamwood on the Luton branch and up to Hadley Wood on the Cambridge/Peterbourgh branch

Edit: misead the map.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Yes, the "London's Rail and Tube services" (previously known as "oyster rail services") map shows thameslink and shows the boundaries of the zones as well as the boundary of the PAYG areas for Oyster and Contactless. http://content.tfl.gov.uk/london-rail-and-tube-services-map.pdf

It seems on the South side you are covered on a zone 1-6 travelcard for all of the sutton branch and up to Coulsdon South on the brighton branch. On the north side you are covered up to Elstree & Borehamwood on the Luton branch and up to Hadley Wood on the Cambridge/Peterbourgh branch

Edit: misead the map.

Contactless is valid beyond Hadley Wood to Brookmans Park.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Contactless is valid beyond Hadley Wood to Brookmans Park.

Contactless is not advisable at weekends if travelling from Kings Cross to Brookmans Park. A paper ticket is cheaper!

plugwash

Established Member
So to put the information from the map in a table
BranchLutonStevenageSuttonBrightonGravesendSevenoaksOrpington
Travelcard 1-6Elstree & BorehamwoodHadley WoodWhole lineCoulsdon SouthSlade GreenSt Mary CrayWhole line
Travelcard 1-9Elstree & BorehamwoodHadley WoodWhole lineCoulsdon SouthDartfordSwanleyWhole line
Oyster PAYGRadlettPotters BarWhole lineGatwick AirportDartfordSwanleyWhole line
Contatless PAYGLuton Airport ParkwayWelwyn Garden CityWhole lineGatwick AirportDartfordSwanleyWhole line

Status
Not open for further replies.