• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How long is the subterranean interchange between Monument and the newly revamped Bank station?

jamboree7123

I'll be arriving at Monument on a west-bound Disitrict Lne train, and want to transfer to a south-bound Northern Line train from Bank. How long (in minutes) is the walk from one platform to the other? Last time I did this was a few years back, when Bank was under construction and there were detours going every which way. Now that the construction is completed and Bank is revamped, how long is the interchange (taking the subterranean tunnels) between westbound District and southbound Northern? I'm guessing about 4 minutes, but I'd like to know what your experience has been.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The interchange between the Northern line and the Circle & District line platforms hasn’t really changed. The escalators and corridors are the same as they were before. It’s only the fact there is a central concourse where the Southbound track and platform was.

jamboree7123

The interchange between the Northern line and the Circle & District line platforms hasn’t really changed. The escalators and corridors are the same as they were before. It’s only the fact there is a central concourse where the Southbound track and platform was.
That being the case -- how long is the walk between the two stations/lines?

pelli

The west end of the District Line platforms is linked by a tunnel and escalator to the south end of the Northern Line platforms, as seen on this extract from a TfL document released under FoI:
DistrictToNorthern.png

This youtube video by pgomes98 (timestamp 23:40) shows a leisurely walk from the very front of the westbound District Line to the Northern Line (before the rebuild):
40s down the stairs and under the tracks
40s along the tunnel to the top of the escalators
60s standing on the escalator
Add another 40s to cross over to the new southbound Northern Line platform and you get 3 minutes total.

This youtube video by London Rides (timestamp 0:40) shows a leisurely walk from the new southbound Northern Line to the District Line:
50s from Northern Line southbound platform to foot of escalators
50s standing on escalator
40s from top of escalator to bottom of Direct Line eastbound stairs
Add 40s for crossing under the District Line tracks and going up the stairs to the westbound platform, and you again get 3 minutes total.

Under favourable conditions (starting from the very front of the District Line train, no congestion and brisk walk including down the escalator) I reckon the interchange could be made in closer to 2 minutes. Conversely, with congestion and starting from the wrong end of the train you'd probably be looking at closer to 5 minutes.

jamboree7123

The west end of the District Line platforms is linked by a tunnel and escalator to the south end of the Northern Line platforms, as seen on this extract from a TfL document released under FoI:
Under favourable conditions (starting from the very front of the District Line train, no congestion and brisk walk including down the escalator) I reckon the interchange could be made in closer to 2 minutes. Conversely, with congestion and starting from the wrong end of the train you'd probably be looking at closer to 5 minutes.
Wow, amazingly detailed reply! Thank you very much. So, in sum: Probably about 3 minutes under the most optimistic scenario (i'm not the fastest walker), about 5 minutes under the most pessimistic scenario, so on average around 4 minutes -- exactly what I had guessed in the first place!