• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How long might it take to reopen the line near Stonehaven?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Pretty crass that Grant Shapps compared the scene to 'a hornby train set being thrown into the air'.
Unhelpful to say the least imo.
Yes, I think he’d have been better saying something like being “shocked by the damage that occurred caused initially by forces of nature”...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

InOban

Established Member
Don't know why STV are only reporting it now. They were all removed last week.
Surely it shouldn't take too long to reopen the route? Or have the RAIB still to finish investigation of the cause of the collapse of the slope? The actual damage to the infrastructure didn't seem major.

DB

Surely it shouldn't take too long to reopen the route? Or have the RAIB still to finish investigation of the cause of the collapse of the slope? The actual damage to the infrastructure didn't seem major.

They will need to carry out any stabilisation work required, repair the trackbed and bridge, probably relay some track - not something which can be done in a day or two.

najaB

Veteran Member
They will need to carry out any stabilisation work required, repair the trackbed and bridge, probably relay some track - not something which can be done in a day or two.
Of those, the stabilisation work will be the most time consuming as they may well also need to redesign the drainage system, since it appears that it was overwhelmed by the heavy rain.

Meerkat

Established Member
At least the recovery operation has made the access a lot better for the rest!

InOban

Established Member
And the resources that were tied up with Polmont are now available.

najaB

Veteran Member
One hopes that the farmer/landowner will be accommodating, but one thing that could hold up repairs is if any work is required outside the boundary of railway property.

hwl

Established Member
One hopes that the farmer/landowner will be accommodating, but one thing that could hold up repairs is if any work is required outside the boundary of railway property.
Section 14 of the Railway Regulation Act 1842 basically says get on with it then worry about the rest later.

Power for railway companies to enter upon adjoining lands to repair accidents.
F1 It shall be lawful for the lords of the said committee to empower any railway company, in case of any accident or slip happening or being apprehended to any cutting, embankment, or other work belonging to them, to enter upon any lands adjoining their railway for the purpose of repairing or preventing such accident, and to do such works as may be necessary for the purpose: Provided always, that in case of necessity it shall be lawful for any railway company to enter upon such lands, and to do such works as aforesaid, without having obtained the previous sanction of the lords of the said committee; but in every such case such railway company shall, within forty-eight hours after such entry, make a report to the lords of the said committee, specifying the nature of such accident or apprehended accident, and of the works necessary to be done, and such powers shall cease and determine if the lords of the said committee shall, after considering the said report, certify that their exercise is not necessary for the public safety: Provided also, that such works shall be as little injurious to the said adjoining lands as the nature of the accident or apprehended accident will admit of, and shall be executed with all possible despatch; and full compensation shall be made to the owners and occupiers of such lands for the loss or injury or inconvenience sustained by them respectively by reason of such works, the amount of which compensation, in case of any dispute about the same, shall be settled in the same manner as cases of disputed compensation are directed to be settled by the Acts relating to the railway on which such works may become necessary: Provided always, that no land shall be taken permanently by any railway company for such works without a certificate from the lords of the said committee as herein-after described.

InOban

Established Member
Different delivery teams for the recoveries at Polmont and Stonehaven.
It wasn't recovery I was thinking of. Reinstatement, more like. But I'm sure that you have more information than I dy.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I hope you're on commission from Uncle Rog.
Lol - no he is on my twitter feed though and I have been a fans since 1980ish. I respect him and definitely would never expect commission- I am paid well enough anyway and money has never motivated me.

EDIT: I does help that I have an electronic subscription and am on EST/EDT rather than GMT/BST. So usually released at 02.00 GMT/BST around the last Thursday in the month. So for me that is 9.00pm Eastern so I actually download and start reading in the late evening well before I go to bed.

Last edited:

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
Lol - no he is on my twitter feed though and I have been a fans since 1980ish. I respect him and definitely would never expect commission- I am paid well enough anyway and money has never motivated me.

I jest, bit likewise, really respect Roger. He has the technical training to understand the technical part of his role, which makes reading his work enjoyable even if one disagrees with what he says. The same applies with Ian Walmsley (just as long as he avoids getting technical on third rail - not his finest hour).

mcmad

It wasn't recovery I was thinking of. Reinstatement, more like. But I'm sure that you have more information than I dy.

Yes, likewise. Different reinstatement contractors and NR project management teams.

QueensCurve

Established Member

There was significant damage to the underbridge. It seems unlikely that the line can open without that being repaired. It may require the design and construction of a replacement.

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
There was significant damage to the undebridge. It seems unlikely that the line can open without that being repaired. It may require the design and construction of a replacement.
Do we know how much damage was done? It's apparent that the parapets were largely destroyed but what of the bridge structure itself? I wouldn't have thought it that badly damaged but you never know.

dosxuk

Established Member
Weren't there already concerns with water scour at that bridge, which was in the process of being fixed (hence the pre-existing access and compound on the hill). May as well take the opportunity to fix the whole thing properly for the future rather than just repairing the damage, even if this entails and entirely new bridge.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Do we know how much damage was done? It's apparent that the parapets were largely destroyed but what of the bridge structure itself? I wouldn't have thought it that badly damaged but you never know.
Weren't there already concerns with water scour at that bridge, which was in the process of being fixed (hence the pre-existing access and compound on the hill). May as well take the opportunity to fix the whole thing properly for the future rather than just repairing the damage, even if thi s entails and entirely new bridge.
I dont have inside knowledge but when a train hits the parapets at speed, that energy may well have moved/destabilised the rest of the bridge and then if there were concerns about water scour it all adds up to maybe needing repairs more extensive than first envisioned.

Last edited:

kermit

Would it be unwise to make travel plans that include this line in about 8 weeks or so? (not that planning is something that has been possible at all so far in 2020!)

najaB

Veteran Member
Would it be unwise to make travel plans that include this line in about 8 weeks or so? (not that planning is something that has been possible at all so far in 2020!)
Well, there are adequate train replacement bus services running so unless you can't travel by bus you should be okay.

kermit

Well, there are adequate train replacement bus services running so unless you can't travel by bus you should be okay.
Thanks - but do the buses manage to meet advertised connections, eg the 09.04 from Aberdeen on a Saturday connecting in to the 12.12 Edinburgh to Manchester?

najaB

Veteran Member
Thanks - but do the buses manage to meet advertised connections, eg the 09.04 from Aberdeen on a Saturday connecting in to the 12.12 Edinburgh to Manchester?
It doesn't look like it, no. As you probably have seen if you try to book Aberdeen to Manchester for this Saturday the departure time is 08.20 to meet the 12.12 Edinburgh to Manchester.

najaB

Veteran Member
Regarding the repairing of the route, has any consideration been given to accommodate the preparation works for overhead line electrification?

It would save having to close the line in the future.
I doubt there's much work which could be arranged at such short notice that would have any meaningful impact on the overall electrification project.

Auto-merged post: Anybody heard any news as to the extent of the repairs required?

Last edited:

Durradan

Auto-merged post: Anybody heard any news as to the extent of the repairs required?
According to my sources (I overheard one of the First bus drivers talking to the rail replacement staff about one of the Stagecoach drivers who said that LNER told them) it may take until December, which I really hope is an exaggeration. The rain at the weekend doesn't seem to have helped and the bridge supposedly needs a decent amount of work done.

Status
Not open for further replies.