• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How Many More Reopenings Under Project Speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brush 4

From the new edition of Modern Railways, an overview of how Project Speed was behind this very quick revival. More like that please, it clearly worked. (for lines that still had track)

From little ‘Okes’ could mighty routes bloom? (modernrailways.com)
By demonstrating how disused routes can be rehabilitated into the national rail network at comparatively low cost, the Dartmoor line could be a template to enhance regional connectivity across England, Wales and Scotland...
...reopening the railway between Coleford Junction and Okehampton surely must be the first of many schemes which expand the rail network where there is a credible case to do so to reach as many people as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

21C101

Established Member
Absolutely no doubt that Project SPEED principles moved this project along at pace and saved money.

But... that doesn’t turn basket cases into Louis Vuitton matched luggage.
Big housing estates are needed to do that.

tbtc

Veteran Member
disused routes

where there is a credible case to do so to reach as many people as possible

The problem is that the vast majority of the "disused routes" that get discussed on here lack a "credible case" to "reach as many people as possible"

I appreciate that the Okehampton news will generate a few stories, people will be trying to use it to try to create a bit of news on their favourite things, the kind of "...and this new development proves why the re-opening I've been harping on about for years needs to be done urgently"

Even if you change the rules to speed the approval/planing/building processes up, what schemes are there really out there that deserve such priority?

(and I'm nervous about the kind of instant narrative that Okehampton has been a success - let's see how the passenger numbers and subsidy figures look after a couple of years - I think that some people want to believe that the fact that a line is up and running somehow proves that it's a successful re-opening - it'll only take one bad one to make it a lot harder to get political approval for the next, however much you speed up the planning processes etc)

SynthD

The delivery of over 3,900 homes at Beam Park, with London-focused sales policies and new community facilities. Learn More Benefits. Two new primary schools, a new medical centre, a proposed new railway station, landscaped parks and 50% affordable housing.
I eagerly look forward to home building and anything else created along the way for the new community. But if Beam Park didn't qualify, not much will. Perhaps it'll be only the sites more closely matching Okehampton, where the platform was already intact and long enough.

Brush 4

The 3 elements of PS are summarised below. The 'bureaucracy of project approval' has been the most negative and suffocating element these past few years. Good to see it being tackled now.

New report sets out framework for achieving Project Speed | Infrastructure Intelligence (infrastructure-intelligence.com)
It suggests that the "bureaucracy of project approval" should be reduced, the scope of Development Consent Orders expanded and multiple construction options considered
  • Design a variety of options: Where a portfolio of projects is anticipated, such as re-opening Beeching railway lines, learn from successful projects and have more than just one construction option available so the best option can be identified as early as possible.
Okehampton can't be analysed for at least 1 year, to cover all the seasonal traffic patterns. DCC and other bodies regard it as part of their plan for the whole route to Plymouth. I can't see them allowing it to wither on the vine.

Fawley would seem a prime candidate

Last edited:

Irascible

Established Member
(and I'm nervous about the kind of instant narrative that Okehampton has been a success - let's see how the passenger numbers and subsidy figures look after a couple of years - I think that some people want to believe that the fact that a line is up and running somehow proves that it's a successful re-opening - it'll only take one bad one to make it a lot harder to get political approval for the next, however much you speed up the planning processes etc)
Okehampton has also had what might be called a pilot scheme for decades, in DCCs sunday services - is there anywhere else that's happened? seems a fairly unique set of circumstances in that private ( DCC ) trains were run as a service rather than a charter tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.