• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How many National Rail stations don't have gatelines? (estimates welcome)

Benjwri

Established Member
People certainly do jump the gates but I’m not sure it follows that the benefits of gatelines to countering evasion are slim. They will deter all but the most hardcore of fare evaders due to social embarrassment/shame; not that many people are brazen though to push through gates.
You only have to visit London to see how many people jump the gates, I’ve seen many different people do it. And regardless if gates are unstaffed you have to have a way for people whose tickets are rejected by mistake to get out. Fare evaders can use that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
You only have to visit London to see how many people jump the gates, I’ve seen many different people do it. And regardless if gates are unstaffed you have to have a way for people whose tickets are rejected by mistake to get out. Fare evaders can use that.

I live in London, and the numbers pushing through gates are a tiny, tiny fraction of the total numbers using the railway. On the other hand people travelling between ungated stations on the SE metro network routinely bunk the fare, so it’s fair to say that gates do make a difference.

sk688

That is just a convention on the British rail network. In other countries, such as Ireland, it appears to be deemed perfectly acceptable to have ticket barriers installed with no staff present, although our barriers aren't really fit for that purpose given the bumping problem.

Apart from Connolly/Heuston/Pearse stations in Dublin , I'd say at least in the Greater Dublin area most IE stations have at least one ticket barrier on each entrance left open pretty much all the time